Make a donation

Author Topic: manual gt tdi or dsg??  (Read 4174 times)

Offline RedRobin

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 380
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
Re: manual gt tdi or dsg??
« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2013, 05:46:18 pm »

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline S4nup

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 5
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2013, 05:52:28 pm »

i'm glad i chose the DSG

.....It's up to you of course but I hope you drive your DSG in M-mode a lot and not always in automatic D-mode.

DSG offers the best of both worlds if you have a positive attitude towards it.  :happy2:
Of course... I currently do a 40 mile commute (1 way) on a mixture of local, A roads and then the M25 and M4. More often than not in traffic and it is a godsend of not having to sit in traffic with the clutch pressed down every 15 seconds...once i'm moving, i use manual mode a fair bit and i do like to mix it up!

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2013, 06:03:02 pm »

Of course... I currently do a 40 mile commute (1 way) on a mixture of local, A roads and then the M25 and M4. More often than not in traffic and it is a godsend of not having to sit in traffic with the clutch pressed down every 15 seconds...once i'm moving, i use manual mode a fair bit and i do like to mix it up!

....I hope you didn't mind me asking - It's a shame when I read that some folks only ever use D-mode.  :happy2:

Paddle extensions make it all even nicer.

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline GTI-Ross

• Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 26
  • Learning All The Time :)
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2013, 06:19:14 pm »

i'm glad i chose the DSG

.....It's up to you of course but I hope you drive your DSG in M-mode a lot and not always in automatic D-mode.

DSG offers the best of both worlds if you have a positive attitude towards it.  :happy2:

Robin, you know the DSG map, what Exactly does it do and how does it improve the performance of the car?

Been looking at it for a while. I feel that my DSG is pretty smooth and sharp anyways.....just wondering how it would change.

Thanks
MK6 GTI CSG | Revo Stage 2 | Revo Stage 2 Intake | VWR SubFrame Mount | VibraTechnics Upper Engine Mount | VibraTechnic Transmission Mount | SuperPro Anti Lift Kit | H&R ARB's | Bilstein B12 | TT Short Shifter |Mintex M1144 Race Pads | HEL Braided Lines |

MK5 GTI - DSG + Extras (Sold because DSG was Soooo Boring !!!)

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #19 on: January 07, 2013, 07:03:17 pm »

Robin, you know the DSG map, what Exactly does it do and how does it improve the performance of the car?

Been looking at it for a while. I feel that my DSG is pretty smooth and sharp anyways.....just wondering how it would change.

Thanks

....The Revo version (which will work with other tuner's ECU remaps) keeps you in your selected gear when in M-mode. Having said that, it still allows the DSG box of tricks to protect itself. It also claims to increase torque but I don't have any scientific proof of that. It also allows more scope if you do Launch Controls, which I never do except at Santa Pod but I don't intend to continue doing any quarter-miles.

I think the rev limiter threshold is changed too but I normally shift gear by 5,500 rpm max because there's less power on the K03 up there.

All gear shifts are certainly silky smooth - I noticed it particularly on my 462-mile enthusiastic drive yesterday and I've now driven 105,000 miles.

Hurdy would be able to give you more info  :happy2:

Offline GTI-Ross

• Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 26
  • Learning All The Time :)
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: January 07, 2013, 08:48:57 pm »
dont know if i can really see value for money at the minute with other mod taking priority first, but i guess its something to do later on when having spare cash... :driver:
MK6 GTI CSG | Revo Stage 2 | Revo Stage 2 Intake | VWR SubFrame Mount | VibraTechnics Upper Engine Mount | VibraTechnic Transmission Mount | SuperPro Anti Lift Kit | H&R ARB's | Bilstein B12 | TT Short Shifter |Mintex M1144 Race Pads | HEL Braided Lines |

MK5 GTI - DSG + Extras (Sold because DSG was Soooo Boring !!!)

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #21 on: January 07, 2013, 09:03:35 pm »

dont know if i can really see value for money at the minute with other mod taking priority first, but i guess its something to do later on when having spare cash... :driver:

....I agree. I was invited to pre-release test it and then given it for free. I'm not sure if I would have bought it but I am very happy with it.

Nasir

« Reply #22 on: January 07, 2013, 10:34:33 pm »

i'm glad i chose the DSG

With a diesel there is no point in manual mode IMO. I would just stick it in D and leave it. The power band and revs simply don't make it a sporty drive. Wonderful cruiser, not sporty though.