Make a donation

Author Topic: Woe is me.....  (Read 1253 times)

diesel junior

Woe is me.....
« on: January 06, 2013, 03:57:41 pm »
Hi Folks, maybe someone on this good forum can help me on this one as i am at my wits end up here in Newcastle. OK i have a 2005 GTi which i have brought over from Spain for the winter. On driving back thru Spain after having stopped overnight i came down to the car got it started but noticed that the climate control digits were not backlit when the lights were on and also that the whole climate control system was 'dead'. Turning the fan around would see the lights light up as the knob went around but no fan, absolutely nothing. Oddly at the same time the warning panel started telling me of low levels of oil, when i knew for a fact that there was plenty of oil. On returning to Newcastle i left the car with trusty local garage who cleared the oil level fault code and ordered a new heater motor and resistor which took ages to come as the car is (obviously) left hand drive. To cut a (very) long story short (er) it seemed the heater control unit was at fault which then knocked out the motor/resistor (or both). Apparently a new control unit is the thick end of a grand so eBay was raided and all seemed set fair. I picked up the car yesterday morning and revelling in the new found warmth have enjoyed the car for a good 47km.......i think you know what is coming next. Filled up in Morpeth, turned the key and i am being told that the oil level is low, instinct told me to look at the heater unit (.......) and sure enough its gone again. Now i know what you will be thinking, the control unit off of eBay is the problem, its second hand after all but (quick break here as the alarm has just gone off for no particular reason.......) this seems almost too simplistic and what with the oil level warning coming on at exactly the same time, i have a horrible feeling that there is something (expensively) wrong with this great car. Any advice greatfully received as i hit the vino blanco....

diesel junior

Re: Woe is me.....
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2013, 01:03:04 pm »
Anyone? Help!!

diesel junior

Re: Woe is me.....
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2013, 11:59:26 am »
I try again!!