Make a donation

Author Topic: Changing cam follower  (Read 2225 times)

Offline 55golf

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 2
    • Email
Changing cam follower
« on: January 06, 2013, 09:52:57 pm »
I am looking at changing this myself on my dsg ed30. Do you need to get the engine TDC before I take the pump out, also is it a case of just taking old one out and dropping new cam follower in

Offline fab5freddy

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 238
  • -Receive: 239
Re: Changing cam follower
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2013, 09:56:48 pm »

Offline Tortaruga

• Thank You
  • -Given: 36
  • -Receive: 105
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2013, 10:03:31 pm »
AFAIK you don't need to set TDC. Setting TDC ensures there will be no pressure exerted on the fuel pump's spring by the inlet camshaft lobe.

If the lobe was at it's highest point the spring would exert some pressure and could possibly strip threads if you were stupid in your manner of removing the hpfp fixing bolts.

Take old one out and drop in new one. Put oil on it first.

'07 Red manual

Offline 55golf

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 2
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2013, 10:30:14 pm »
Anyone in the Cheshire area willing to help me :smiley:

Offline gazbutS3

• Thank You
  • -Given: 52
  • -Receive: 55
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2013, 10:33:41 pm »

I'm not that far away, in Bolton, if you fancy a drive out I'll do it/show you, I change mine every 10k as part of the service

Offline ianv5

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 12
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2013, 05:46:55 am »

Offline ROH ECHT

• Thank You
  • -Given: 113
  • -Receive: 147
  • K04 PLAY....ZOOM DIS!
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2013, 06:13:00 am »
TDC? No. Just be sure to loosen a bit on each of the three #30 torx head bolts as there is some spring tension on the hpfp. I never have had to turn mine a bit to return the hpfp to the head. I just add some of my body pressure to the hpfp and tighten in the same manner...a bit on each bolt to carefully compress the spring inside. Check out my vid above and you will likely be able to knock it out yourself, yes?
K04 PLAY...K04 turbo/S3 INJ. & FMIC/FORGE FMTC, TB hose, & WG actuator/GIAC's H.O. K04 & DSG TUNES/AWE DV/NEUSPEED P-FLO,TURBO OUTLET & TB pipe/AUTOTECH hpfp/BSH Eng.&Trans Mounts/H&R ARB's/Whiteline Performance springs & W.A.L.K./ECS stage-3 BBK/BILSTEIN B8's...ZOOM'DIS...GIAC K04 tune-2007 Volkswagen GTI: 12.823 @ 112.050 MPH__Voting for my Dragtimes link: http://www.dragtimes.com/Volkswagen-GTI-Timeslip-25700.html?r=1

Offline RobboGTI

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 7
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2013, 06:27:59 am »
Good video. Looks a very straightforward job!

Offline ianv5

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 12
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2013, 06:28:29 am »
TDC? No. Just be sure to loosen a bit on each of the three #30 torx head bolts as there is some spring tension on the hpfp. I never have had to turn mine a bit to return the hpfp to the head. I just add some of my body pressure to the hpfp and tighten in the same manner...a bit on each bolt to carefully compress the spring inside. Check out my vid above and you will likely be able to knock it out yourself, yes?

Do you need to keep the doors shut? I read somewhere that leaving the drivers door open kept the fuel pump primed and fuel would keep flowing?

On a different point how did you do the holes in your fog lamp grills?

Thanks

Ian

Offline ROH ECHT

• Thank You
  • -Given: 113
  • -Receive: 147
  • K04 PLAY....ZOOM DIS!
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2013, 06:56:35 am »
Mine doesn't mind the doors being open, I suppose, as the fuel does not do that.
K04 PLAY...K04 turbo/S3 INJ. & FMIC/FORGE FMTC, TB hose, & WG actuator/GIAC's H.O. K04 & DSG TUNES/AWE DV/NEUSPEED P-FLO,TURBO OUTLET & TB pipe/AUTOTECH hpfp/BSH Eng.&Trans Mounts/H&R ARB's/Whiteline Performance springs & W.A.L.K./ECS stage-3 BBK/BILSTEIN B8's...ZOOM'DIS...GIAC K04 tune-2007 Volkswagen GTI: 12.823 @ 112.050 MPH__Voting for my Dragtimes link: http://www.dragtimes.com/Volkswagen-GTI-Timeslip-25700.html?r=1

Offline Betty02

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 10
  • -Receive: 11
    • iBett
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2013, 09:42:04 am »

I'm not that far away, in Bolton, if you fancy a drive out I'll do it/show you, I change mine every 10k as part of the service

I might take you up on this offer too? Does look "easy enough" just scared of breaking something! only from Blackpool!

Thanks
ADMIN NOTICE: Please do not use the site for advertising!