Make a donation

Author Topic: Middle lane motorway drivers!!  (Read 8274 times)

Offline Jussa

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 23
  • -Receive: 12
  • Bicester
    • Email
Re: Middle lane motorway drivers!!
« Reply #60 on: January 26, 2013, 11:55:35 am »
So here is a question, you're doing 80 in the middle lane on the motorway and the lane to your left has some cars in it in the distance and the lane to your right is clear.  A car comes up behind you - do you move over to the slow lane or let him overtake you by making him use the right lane??
2010 3dr phantom black S-Tronic S3 - BCS TBE with 3½" DP - LOBA LO4xx turbo - LOBA HPFP - Revo CAI - H&R 25mm lowering springs - Forge 11mm spacers - RS4 fuel Pressure valve - THS intercooler - H&R front and rear ARB's - AEM water methanol injection

Offline Kaza

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
    • Facebook.
« Reply #61 on: January 26, 2013, 12:02:41 pm »
I think it depends how far in the distance those to your left are. If you're catching up to them quick, it's easier to stay where you are and let the other person overtake you.

I was always taught that you should always stick to the left hand lane unless overtaking.
But as I do the majority of the overtaking, I'm usually in the middle or right hand lanes :)

Offline Jussa

• Thank You
  • -Given: 23
  • -Receive: 12
  • Bicester
    • Email
« Reply #62 on: January 26, 2013, 12:05:01 pm »
I think it depends how far in the distance those to your left are. If you're catching up to them quick, it's easier to stay where you are and let the other person overtake you.

I was always taught that you should always stick to the left hand lane unless overtaking.
But as I do the majority of the overtaking, I'm usually in the middle or right hand lanes :)

That's exactly what I do  :happy2:
2010 3dr phantom black S-Tronic S3 - BCS TBE with 3½" DP - LOBA LO4xx turbo - LOBA HPFP - Revo CAI - H&R 25mm lowering springs - Forge 11mm spacers - RS4 fuel Pressure valve - THS intercooler - H&R front and rear ARB's - AEM water methanol injection

Offline Kaza

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
    • Facebook.
« Reply #63 on: January 26, 2013, 01:22:02 pm »
Great minds and all that, lol.

Offline maxload

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 41
  • -Receive: 29
  • Edition30 - No.1819
    • Email
« Reply #64 on: January 26, 2013, 01:29:15 pm »
So here is a question, you're doing 80 in the middle lane on the motorway and the lane to your left has some cars in it in the distance and the lane to your right is clear.  A car comes up behind you - do you move over to the slow lane or let him overtake you by making him use the right lane??

So basically your hogging the middle lane. The car behind you is traveling faster so you move over for it 

Offline stealthwolf

• Thank You
  • -Given: 306
  • -Receive: 291
  • ED30 No.1412
    • Email
« Reply #65 on: January 26, 2013, 02:40:50 pm »
So here is a question, you're doing 80 in the middle lane on the motorway
If you're not overtaking someone, why are you in the middle lane?

If you've just overtaken someone and there are cars in the left lane further up, I may stay in the middle lane if I'm going to be in the left lane for less than 10 seconds. In which case, stay in the middle lane and let them overtake you. That's why there are three lanes and not two.

The GTI isn't just a machine. It's very much a living, breathing thing.

Offline camfollower

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 10
  • -Receive: 31
  • Cam follower awareness.
« Reply #66 on: January 26, 2013, 02:53:27 pm »
I was always taught you should stick to the outside lane unless undertaking. :evilgrin:

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 380
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #67 on: January 26, 2013, 07:12:38 pm »

If you've just overtaken someone and there are cars in the left lane further up, I may stay in the middle lane if I'm going to be in the left lane for less than 10 seconds. In which case, stay in the middle lane and let them overtake you. That's why there are three lanes and not two.

.... x 2   :happy2:

You judge the RELATIVE speeds and closing distances of all the vehicles in your sight and act accordingly. Which means that you might stay in the middle lane until you can change lane without cutting in or bullying anyone. The faster car behind you should be able read your relative speed to other vehicles in the same way you can and then he/she can act accordingly - Which means that he'll either overtake in the righthand lane, or slow down and be patient.

And also factor-in braking distances.

Always look a long way ahead and not just the rear of the vehicle in front of you. Read the road - It's simple.

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline Bow

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 7
    • Email
« Reply #68 on: January 26, 2013, 07:24:45 pm »
Oh my days these people actually make my blood boil. Boxing Day made the 360 mile trip from Somerset to my mums house in Lake District. 300 miles of it are motorway. I spent most of the journey there and back going mad at people in middle lane most of which going slower then the cars in slow lane. One ass hole In a merc hogging middle lane doing 60mph I overtook pulled back across him into slow lane only for him to overtake me and stay along side me for about 6 miles only for me to overtake again. If I didn't have my daughter in car I think I would have put my old rusty 306 straight in the side of him lol. There need to be a law for these people loads fines then maybe try will stop and also government spend money on sorting out sh*te roads rant over I feel better

Offline Kaza

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
    • Facebook.
« Reply #69 on: January 26, 2013, 09:31:59 pm »

.... x 2   :happy2:

You judge the RELATIVE speeds and closing distances of all the vehicles in your sight and act accordingly. Which means that you might stay in the middle lane until you can change lane without cutting in or bullying anyone. The faster car behind you should be able read your relative speed to other vehicles in the same way you can and then he/she can act accordingly - Which means that he'll either overtake in the righthand lane, or slow down and be patient.

And also factor-in braking distances.

Always look a long way ahead and not just the rear of the vehicle in front of you. Read the road - It's simple.

Exactly that.

Offline Peppermuncher

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
« Reply #70 on: January 27, 2013, 01:24:32 pm »
I'm not trying to justify the hogging of the middle lane.

What about the elements of the large lorries that dominate the 1st lane, plus caravans and those of the slower disposition. Is it more dangerous and increasing the chances of accidents occurring from people that are already incompetent at driving, moving from the 1st to the 2nd lane and back again more often?

I'm not a middle lane hogger myself, its just that sometimes I have a squeaky bum time from retards braking, lane changing (especially without indicating) and generally moving road position. Is it easier to leave the mongs in one place then the more aware people of the world can work around them?  :happy2:  

Again, I'm not defending the idiots. Sometimes giving people responsibility for themselves, a 1 tonne vehicle and reading the road situation isn't great!?  

Which comes into play the argument of extra driving training and stronger policing? Or is it more dangerous a poor driver on the road or someone speeding?
« Last Edit: January 27, 2013, 01:34:15 pm by Peppermuncher »

Offline Hedge

• Thank You
  • -Given: 484
  • -Receive: 304
« Reply #71 on: January 27, 2013, 01:40:41 pm »

I think the fact you call it the slow lane means you think it doesn't mean it's for you. I bet you also call the outside lane the fast lane when in fact you can do any speed in any of the lanes conditions permitting.

By labelling them slow and fast you imply their usage. Better to call the inside, middle and outside and remove the speed label.  :smiley:

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #72 on: January 27, 2013, 01:47:20 pm »

I think the fact you call it the slow lane means you think it doesn't mean it's for you. I bet you also call the outside lane the fast lane when in fact you can do any speed in any of the lanes conditions permitting.

By labelling them slow and fast you imply their usage. Better to call the inside, middle and outside and remove the speed label.  :smiley:

....Hear! Hear!  :congrats: :congrats: :congrats: :congrats:

That's step one in the education and a very fundamental step.

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline Peppermuncher

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
« Reply #73 on: January 27, 2013, 01:53:17 pm »

....Hear! Hear!  :congrats: :congrats: :congrats: :congrats:

That's step one in the education and a very fundamental step.

+1  :drinking:

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #74 on: January 27, 2013, 02:00:33 pm »

I'm not trying to justify the hogging of the middle lane.

What about the elements of the large lorries that dominate the 1st lane, plus caravans and those of the slower disposition. Is it more dangerous and increasing the chances of accidents occurring from people that are already incompetent at driving, moving from the 1st to the 2nd lane and back again more often?

I'm not a middle lane hogger myself, its just that sometimes I have a squeaky bum time from retards braking, lane changing (especially without indicating) and generally moving road position. Is it easier to leave the mongs in one place then the more aware people of the world can work around them?  :happy2:  

Again, I'm not defending the idiots. Sometimes giving people responsibility for themselves, a 1 tonne vehicle and reading the road situation isn't great!?  

Which comes into play the argument of extra driving training and stronger policing? Or is it more dangerous a poor driver on the road or someone speeding?

....That's a good point (in bold) - Unfortunately! You can tell by their car's 'body language' that they lack both skill and confidence (and car performance) and are reluctant to change lanes unless they absolutely have to. These are often the same drivers who are tucked up really close to the back of a truck with powerful air brakes and they don't even have time to react, let alone see what's ahead.

If I'm travelling in the middle lane while there isn't the space to safely (and without bullying) go back to the inside lane yet, and I see a car rapidly shortening its distance to the vehicle in front of him/her, I will move to the outside lane (if clear) just so he doesn't have to brake hard and so he/she can smoothly pull out into the middle lane.

The great thing about driving a higher performance car (like most of us forumites do) is that you have the power to change lanes quickly and safely - With power comes responsibility. You also have the speed to make progress and leave these groups of poor drivers behind to sort themselves out (or not!). Driving a performance car is just soooo less stressful than one which isn't.

A high percentage of middle lane hoggers are either ignorant (as drivers) or just lazy feckers.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2013, 02:03:31 pm by RedRobin »