Make a donation

Author Topic: Outer CV boots now sorted, but a couple more things now to look at?  (Read 623 times)

Offline Kiwi

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 16
  • -Receive: 15

Hi all,

I just had both my outer front CV boots replaced, not by VW as they wanted £140 per corner, but by Skoda as they matched awesomes price and did the job for £197.74, as it was a lot cheaper, by over £80  :laugh:

As usual they inspected the car and find the following, will need looking at in the very near future:-

Discs Front Scored on inner faces ( 70% PD Front Pads and discs, required ). So looks like I need some R32 Disc's and pads? Where's best place for them? Ok at fitting myself.

Rear Tie arm bushes split, lateral arm brushes becoming detached at N/S/R and O/S/R. So what best to do here ? as I understand that when these are replaced I'll need a four wheel alignment doing?

So anyone got idea on costs for both parts and what they'd do first ?

Thanks in advance

Kiwi

Offline JStav

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 1
    • Facebook
    • Email
Re: Outer CV boots now sorted, but a couple more things now to look at?
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2013, 11:53:56 am »
Outer CV boots - Are these also known as velocity gaiters?

Reason I ask is one of mine needs replacing and my trusted indy garage has quoted 55 per corner.
Silver GTI, Revo Stage 1, R32 rear bumper, R32 exhaust, R32 rear lights, ED30 front splitter, RCD510, Lowered on Eibachs, open fog grills.

Offline Kiwi

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2013, 12:14:41 pm »
Outer CV boots - Are these also known as velocity gaiters?

Reason I ask is one of mine needs replacing and my trusted indy garage has quoted 55 per corner.

It can be called that also (Checked Google)

But I would wonder if your Indy is going to use a genuine part to do the job, on my job sheet the part is S1K0498203A at a cost of £19.19 each.

The car would be in the air, as they need to pop the hub off the drive shaft and take the drive shaft out to cut the old boot off, then place new boot on to shaft and refill with grease, clip both ends and then put back on the car, not a small job, from where I was sitting.

Some garages just cut the CV boot off in place, and replace it with just an aftermarket rubber universal part, and use hose clamps to lock it into place.

I wanted genuine parts and fitment, as i want another 60,000 miles out of them, like the first lot  :happy2:

Hope this helps

Kiwi

Offline Kiwi

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2013, 08:46:52 pm »
Anyone able to advise or help me?