Make a donation

Author Topic: Lost all love for my gti  (Read 3506 times)

Offline SLIVERFOX

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 18
  • -Receive: 1
Lost all love for my gti
« on: January 12, 2013, 12:50:21 pm »
Since November things have been breaking on my golf I know they just wear or tear now the side winder of the driver seat has popped out completely please tell me me this ain't a dear fix has I'm still waiting for the part to do my high level brake light :sad1:

diesel junior

Re: Lost all love for my gti
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2013, 05:07:05 pm »
Join the club mate - http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,59337.0.html - once this 6 week nightmare is over this car is going and its a return to Honda land (where reliability rules). The Golf used to be seen as the benchmark in its class, not anymore i think, after 5 - 6 years they start to fail whereas my 19 year old Corrado keeps on trucking, which says it all

Offline GrayMK5GTI

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 125
  • -Receive: 247
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2013, 11:14:38 pm »
Join the club mate - http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,59337.0.html - once this 6 week nightmare is over this car is going and its a return to Honda land (where reliability rules). The Golf used to be seen as the benchmark in its class, not anymore i think, after 5 - 6 years they start to fail whereas my 19 year old Corrado keeps on trucking, which says it all

I went from Honda, to ford (then got sick of stuff breaking), then back to Honda (where got sick of dash rattles as interior quality dropped), to VW. . .  :grin:
NOW: 2015 Golf R DSG 5 Door, Lapiz Blue, 19s, Discover Nav, Reversing Camera
GONE:2007 Black GTI Edition 30 3dr

Offline Kregiel

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 28
  • -Receive: 20
  • Supersonic
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2013, 11:26:59 pm »
boring honda land!  :happy2:

In fairness no new car will ever be as reliable as 20 years ago be it honda , VW or any other brand

each to its own!

Paul
Red 2008 GTI, H&R ARB, b12 suspension, walk, milltek non-res full exhaust, forge IC, tarox 10 pot big brake kit, RS4 valve, Forge SSK, Autotech HPFP, Xenons, K04 Turbo, Quaife LSD, South Bend stage 3 Daily with SMF clutch, XB and UB Unibraces

Offline Black9

• Thank You
  • -Given: 35
  • -Receive: 19
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2013, 11:52:10 pm »
VW have became sh*te for build quality. If its not wing rust its broken springs. My old Honda Type R took much more abuse and never broke lol

diesel junior

« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2013, 09:30:50 am »
VW have became sh*te for build quality. If its not wing rust its broken springs. My old Honda Type R took much more abuse and never broke lol

Absolutely on the nail. Vw build quality is on the slippery slope as the ocean of cheap skoda plastic shows when you climb in. 1994 Corrado? Leather door cards which still look like new and a heater that is replaced in days not months. Don't get me started on the TFSi noise
 'experience' either.....Don't think there will be many mark v gtis around on 7 or 8 years thx to constant unreliability and insane parts prices I am afraid....

Offline GrayMK5GTI

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2013, 05:41:32 pm »
The interior quality has definitely improved with the mk6 & 7 Golf. It slipped slightly between mk4 & 5.

You will always find turbo cars have more problems than NA cars (such as the type-R) because there are a lot of ancillary parts (DV,PCV, turbo, sensors etc) to fail.

That's why Honda kept it simple, and therefore ultimately reliable  :notworthy:

diesel junior

« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2013, 06:40:39 pm »
I agree to a point with what you are saying but I wouldn't call a vtec engine simple, far from it. Sad to say they are just better engineered, one only has to look at the 'troubleshooting' section on this forum, the extent of problems on a model barely 8 years old is quite staggering likewise the opinions of the experts in 'Car mechanics' mag as per VAG products. I have had a good time in this car, but it is just not reliable and vw will never see me again!

Offline homesqueeze

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 32
  • -Receive: 42
  • Got another Golf!
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2013, 07:42:18 pm »
The interior quality has definitely improved with the mk6 & 7 Golf. It slipped slightly between mk4 & 5.

You will always find turbo cars have more problems than NA cars (such as the type-R) because there are a lot of ancillary parts (DV,PCV, turbo, sensors etc) to fail.

That's why Honda kept it simple, and therefore ultimately reliable  :notworthy:

Honda are now actually going down the turbo route for the first time with the next type-R. In this day and age turbos are far more fuel effecient and soon everything will have a turbo strapped on.
'16 MK7 Golf 1.4TSI Match Edition

Offline Scrubadub

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 8
  • Soon to be "bagged"
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2013, 08:13:59 pm »
Can people stop writing the "H" word. It's blasphemy
Fun bags

diesel junior

« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2013, 08:24:29 pm »
Blasphemy? Nope, reliability......heard of a honda 7 weeks without interior heating?  Golf gti is a good car - for 5 years max then the problems start whereas a 19 year old VR6 Corrado keeps on pulling like a train...

Offline stealthwolf

• Thank You
  • -Given: 306
  • -Receive: 291
  • ED30 No.1412
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2013, 10:31:24 pm »
Surely some of this has to be apportioned to driver use and abuse? RR has had his for around 7 years without issues.

The GTI isn't just a machine. It's very much a living, breathing thing.

diesel junior

« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2013, 09:51:13 am »
In some cases you could summise this but a heating and ventilation system? I turn it on, I turn it off and seven weeks later after two heater motors, one control panel (& now well over £1000 spent...) it still sits there forlorn is just not good enough for a 2005 car. Throw in a £600 radiator change in november as well and you can see why this will go and the 19-y-o classic corrado will stay!!

Offline GrayMK5GTI

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2013, 11:46:44 am »
Surely some of this has to be apportioned to driver use and abuse? RR has had his for around 7 years without issues.

Both do make a difference, I guess luck has something to do with it.

RR has basically replaced everything on his car with an uprated part over the course of his 107,000 miles  :grin:

He has had a few issues as well, various knocks, clunks, DSG mechatronic issues early on. . . .
« Last Edit: January 14, 2013, 11:50:16 am by GrayMK5GTI »

Offline GrayMK5GTI

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2013, 11:53:18 am »
I agree to a point with what you are saying but I wouldn't call a vtec engine simple, far from it. Sad to say they are just better engineered, one only has to look at the 'troubleshooting' section on this forum, the extent of problems on a model barely 8 years old is quite staggering likewise the opinions of the experts in 'Car mechanics' mag as per VAG products. I have had a good time in this car, but it is just not reliable and vw will never see me again!

The VTEC technology is actually quite simple, it uses oil pressure powered solenoids which are faily simple technology  :happy2:

Its just well tried and tested. Rubber valves and electrical sensors which turbo cars use are more prone to failure. Turbo engines are very reliant on the amount of sensors they have to ensure the correct fuel & air mixture. They also require coil packs to create a strong enough spark, another weakness.

Its a shame Honda have been forced down this route. I'm keen to see how reliable they make it