Make a donation

Author Topic: Any bikers out there? (MTB)  (Read 1064 times)

Offline Dan648v

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 28
  • -Receive: 26
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,39823.0.html
Any bikers out there? (MTB)
« on: January 11, 2013, 01:42:07 pm »

Afternoon all!

Due to an upcoming change of work I now find myself able to ride to work! The edition 30 can take a rest and I can get some fitness back.
Looking at bikes to get for the commute and pretty much set on a Boardman comp from halfords

http://www.boardmanbikes.com/mtb/ht_comp.html

Just wondered if anyone has or knows anyone with one? And any decent places for me to ride to get some fun out of it?
 I'm from Harrogate, N.Yorks so aware of Dalby and Stainburn but any others are welcome  :happy2:
Revo Stage 2+ Edition 30 No.1089 with added carbon

Offline andybon

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 11
  • -Receive: 8
Re: Any bikers out there? (MTB)
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2013, 06:17:19 pm »
Not too bad im giving up with it as I don't get the time.

Selling mine in the classifieds on here. All money goes towards the new wheels on the car!  :jumpmove:
How hard can it be?

Offline garrardrj

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 76
  • -Receive: 42
  • EX 2007 Golf Edition 30 owner in Suffolk
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2013, 07:04:28 pm »
I ride a Scott Sportster 10 (Sort of Hybrid/Crosstrail) with the mudguards made for it . If you intend cycling in all weathers then they are really required to keep you clean . I did think about the boardman range but bought mine from cyclops.co.uk in Tunbridge wells. They let me go out on the bikes which made the difference . It was about £1000. Also it depends on the quality of the roads on your cycle route as to what type of wheel tyre comination is best for you . Roads in suffolk are Sh!t ! So front suspension and slight biger tyre profile helps 
2015 Golf R White 5 Door Leather DCC Dynaudio Pretorias
2009 Land Rover Freelander HSE - Workhorse
2007 Mk 5 Golf GTI Edition 30 - SOLD

Offline zerolag

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 13
  • Ass of Ennis
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2013, 07:15:26 pm »
What's the terrain like for your commute?
I'd defo be looking a commuter bike, or at least some skinny tyres on a rigid MTB frame (or lock outs for the front suspension)... makes it soo much easier and pleasurable, than suspension with nobbly tyres imo.

I've got a rigid Orange P7 that I converted for road use, with a 48T front cog and skinny tyres, goes well - although I haven't used it since moving jobs about 12 months ago :ashamed:
For the same amount of effort, it's not going to keep up with a road bike, but you can maintain a good average 18MPH on the flats - provided your fit enough of course.

Offline rdfcpete

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 98
  • -Receive: 52
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2013, 08:02:20 pm »
Yes Dan  :happy2: Got a Giant Yukon on the way to replace my old Muddy Fox, grabbed an absolute bargain on FleaBay.

Can't wait to get back to Aston Hill  :party:
Pete

RNS-E LED 2012 | Aux-In | AP Coilovers |  Hawk HPS Pads | Revo Stage 1+
Previous: OEM+ 2006 MK5 Golf GTI 2.0T FSI Steel Grey 3 Door

Offline Dan648v

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2013, 11:20:00 pm »

My commute is mostly smooth Tarmac to where ill be working. So my thinking is ill lock out the forks and run some smooth 1.95 road tyres during the days then switch my wheels to nobbly jobbies on the weekend and hit the dirt!

The boardman is a pretty good starter mtb for £699 and I've got some vouchers to use to lower that, might upgrade the gears eventually but for now they'll do!

Offline GTI-Pirelli

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 27
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2013, 11:37:35 pm »
I have a couple of friends with boardmans. Seem like very solid bikes. Also if they have had problems halfords were happy to help.

I ride a Scott Genius 40. Great allrounder, full suspension with front and rear lock-out. Great for getting muddy round Cannock Chase or the commute. Just a shame I can't get out on it more often.

2017 Audi S4

Offline Dan648v

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2013, 11:48:48 pm »

Good to see there's a few riders on here  :smiley:

I would love an orange 5, those things are just  :drool: but to get me back out I think the boardman will do well. Just hoping some good weather comes along to get some decent use out of it

Offline majinvash

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 2
  • Eat, Sleep, Snowboard
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2013, 10:05:11 am »
Hi Bud

If you are looking to commute to work but also want an MTB that you can take and have fun with you, want a hard tail for sure but you also want to look at a 29er.

These are the new wave of MTB's that have much larger wheels, pretty much the same rolling radius as commuters and even racebikes.

I have tried several both on an off road and they are great.

I ride my full suspension to work some times for giggles but i can do 5miles to work on my race bike in about 15mins and it takes me about 23mins on the mountain bike for the same journey ( but it is a lot more fun ride, if you throw in a few jumps )

Also you might be lucky in having access to a cycle work scheme available and have the government pay for 40% of your bike.

Offline Powervalve Nige

• Trader - 2014
  • Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 84
  • -Receive: 76
  • Don't get angry, get a beter argument
    • POWERVALVE
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2013, 12:45:34 pm »
Get yourself across to the Purple mountain and allow 3 - 4 hours depending on fitness, making sure youv'e got a good climber with lockout - then get ready for the greatest downhills you can imagine. Will be tough this time of year, also take time out at the bike park at the top end (great fun - especilay watching the kids on their stunt bikes).
I have a Scott Ransom 10, climbs for fun - never been on anything to compare if i'm honest - plenty on flea bay bought by rich guys who didn't realise you've got to pedal  :grin:
Oh and then treat yourself to the best curry in the UK down at the Indian in Pickering.
Yep days don't get much better than that  :happy2:
http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10150228070005923.359360.651425922&type=1&l=85d2362ce7
Cheers
Nige

Offline j dog

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 0
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2013, 09:48:31 pm »
Boardman bikes are very good value for money. Chris Boardman was also known as the professor for his thorough attitude and attention to detail. If you're in Harrogate you should take a drive up to Stif Mountain Bikes.