Make a donation

Author Topic: Audi rs3  (Read 9478 times)

Offline andrewparker

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 32
  • -Receive: 78
Re: Audi rs3
« Reply #60 on: January 23, 2013, 10:06:15 am »
Playing engine noises through the speakers????? What the FFFFF!!!!

The MK6 GTI does it...

Offline Deako

• Thank You
  • -Given: 38
  • -Receive: 44
  • Eat, Sleep....VAG
« Reply #61 on: January 23, 2013, 10:21:17 am »
And the Polo GTI and pretty much every performance car using the 1.4 twin charged setup.

Offline rich83

• Thank You
  • -Given: 165
  • -Receive: 802
    • MK5 Golf GTI
  • My Ride: https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=vbl5bekf3jbku7art1gq4cs8be&/topic,19740.0.html
« Reply #62 on: January 23, 2013, 10:47:30 am »
Whoevers idea that was need shooting in the head with a rusty bullet.

Offline Deako

• Thank You
  • Eat, Sleep....VAG
« Reply #63 on: January 23, 2013, 10:53:02 am »
Sounds ok in the Polo to be honest. Its just cause the engine is so quiet and the soundproofing so good. There is a video on YouTube of it connected/disconnected and the difference it makes.

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 380
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #64 on: January 23, 2013, 11:05:14 am »

The MK6 GTI does it...

....No wonder that my first impression of driving it was that it needs less sound proofing and more Milltek (or similar).  :sick: :sick: :sick: :sick: < One for each cylinder!

I agree wholeheartedly with Rich. What on earth is the motoring world coming to!? I don't want to sound like the 65yo OAP that I am!

Soundproofing the cabin to the extent that you then have to pipe engine/exhaust musak into the cabin is worse than ridiculous. It's counter productive and furthermore adds weight and therefore has an influence on fuel economy (which the car manufacturers are so at pains to improve).

It's equivalent to the worst kind of elevator/lift musak.

I've just found another reason not to change my car! Unless it's something which has a Ferrari engine or similar.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2013, 11:07:23 am by RedRobin »

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline andrewparker

• Thank You
« Reply #65 on: January 23, 2013, 11:09:46 am »
I disagree to be honest. I'm not sure you understand who VW are marketing the GTI at.

Offline Deako

• Thank You
  • Eat, Sleep....VAG
« Reply #66 on: January 23, 2013, 11:26:02 am »
Indeed. Its a mass market car, the entire buying public arent all petrol heads.

Offline GrayMK5GTI

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 125
  • -Receive: 247
« Reply #67 on: January 23, 2013, 11:46:57 am »

The MK6 GTI does it...

My Scirocco does it. Its called a SoundAktor, theres a small speaker under the scuttle  :grin:
NOW: 2015 Golf R DSG 5 Door, Lapiz Blue, 19s, Discover Nav, Reversing Camera
GONE:2007 Black GTI Edition 30 3dr

Offline rich83

• Thank You
  • -Given: 165
  • -Receive: 802
    • MK5 Golf GTI
  • My Ride: https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=vbl5bekf3jbku7art1gq4cs8be&/topic,19740.0.html
« Reply #68 on: January 23, 2013, 11:49:15 am »
Indeed. Its a mass market car, the entire buying public arent all petrol heads.

If that is the case then... why pump 'engine noises' into the cabin via the speakers? Surly all they want to hear is the sound of their own ego...  :grin:

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #69 on: January 23, 2013, 12:17:46 pm »

I disagree to be honest. I'm not sure you understand who VW are marketing the GTI at.

....Unfortunately it seems I was under the illusion that Volkswagen were primarily marketing their GTI and R versions to car enthusiasts/petrolheads. Afterall, that's definitely how these particular versions were concieved originally.

The GTI and R versions are not truly mass market, IMO. And consequently I would argue that they deserve far better than some piped fake sounds. But hey-ho, the feckin passionless bean counters rule nowadays and everything has to meet the most economical boring criteria and lowest common denominator of the dull Mrs & Mrs Average.

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline andrewparker

• Thank You
« Reply #70 on: January 23, 2013, 12:54:42 pm »

..everything has to meet the most economical boring criteria and lowest common denominator of the dull Mrs & Mrs Average.

Come on Robin, you know most people have to choose a car that meets a multitude of different criteria. For example I regularly travel to the North East (for Newcastle matches and to see friends etc.) It's nearly 3 hours to my parents house and I travel up the A1 to get there. In that instance all I want is a car that is cosseting and comfortable. I don't want engine noise, I don't want exhaust noise and I don't want road noise. However, I also want a fast car, a desirable car, and a car that can provide some thrills when called upon. In VW's eyes I am Mr GTI!

That is why systems like the Soundaktor are a good idea in my opinion. I don't particularly care that the artificial sound isn't the real sound. In fact if they could pipe the sound of a V8 in that would be lovely!

Offline GrayMK5GTI

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 125
  • -Receive: 247
« Reply #71 on: January 23, 2013, 01:03:27 pm »
Lets face it, the sound a car exhaust makes is X% real and Y% created by the resonator, baffles, etc. - which is why the sound your car makes with a Milltek is different from a car with a BCS, which is different again from an APR exhaust. . . .

So the sound you are listening to is also a "manufactured" sound, to some degree   :laugh:
NOW: 2015 Golf R DSG 5 Door, Lapiz Blue, 19s, Discover Nav, Reversing Camera
GONE:2007 Black GTI Edition 30 3dr

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #72 on: January 23, 2013, 01:07:30 pm »

Come on Robin, you know most people have to choose a car that meets a multitude of different criteria. For example I regularly travel to the North East (for Newcastle matches and to see friends etc.) It's nearly 3 hours to my parents house and I travel up the A1 to get there. In that instance all I want is a car that is cosseting and comfortable. I don't want engine noise, I don't want exhaust noise and I don't want road noise. However, I also want a fast car, a desirable car, and a car that can provide some thrills when called upon. In VW's eyes I am Mr GTI!

That is why systems like the Soundaktor are a good idea in my opinion. I don't particularly care that the artificial sound isn't the real sound. In fact if they could pipe the sound of a V8 in that would be lovely!

....Oh dear! Well, each to their own but "cosseting" means over indulgent and a marshmallow caccoon is the last type of ride I would enjoy no matter where or what distance. I regularly drive a 460-miler and have done plenty of +700 milers and love the taut, tactile and full of sound, drive. ETTO.

Most of my friends who call themselves car enthusiasts hate the concept of the Soundaktor - Just like most heterosexual blokes don't like false breasts on women. Fake Rolex?

Offline Hedge

• Thank You
  • -Given: 484
  • -Receive: 304
« Reply #73 on: January 23, 2013, 01:09:38 pm »
Just like most heterosexual blokes don't like false breasts on women. Fake Rolex?

Most heterosexual blokes don't care they still taste the same.  :evilgrin:

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #74 on: January 23, 2013, 01:11:36 pm »

Lets face it, the sound a car exhaust makes is X% real and Y% created by the resonator, baffles, etc. - which is why the sound your car makes with a Milltek is different from a car with a BCS, which is different again from an APR exhaust. . . .

So the sound you are listening to is also a "manufactured" sound, to some degree   :laugh:

....To some degree yes. But to continue my ladies breasts analogy, it depends what kind of bra excites you  :grin:

It's the resonance which occurs PHYSICALLY via an exhaust pipe which touches the heart and soul of a driving enthusiast. Sound is a vibration and is even spiritual.