Make a donation

Author Topic: Lost all love for my gti  (Read 3500 times)

Offline graeme

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 13
    • Email
Re: Lost all love for my gti
« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2013, 01:31:21 pm »
My friend had a 1.8T hybrid ibiza mk3... absolutely loved it until it started to have a couple of issues with it. So he decided that he was going to go buy a type r .. needless to say he got an absolute hammering from the vw boys but seemed pretty happy. One week in the exhaust fell off wheel bearing needed done and a cv gator. We all laughed then about 2 weeks later he called asking for a lift because cylinder one and three both bent rods and smashed up pistons so much so that most of the piston was found in the sump! New engine it had only done 30K from new!

All cars have reliability issues especially if that car has not been looked after.

diesel junior

« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2013, 02:17:33 pm »
I agree that ANY car can have reliability issues but from my own experience VW more than most - http://www.whatcar.com/car-news/what-car-reliability-survey-2012/263555 - for a 2005 car to be falling apart at the seams (as mine is) is totally unacceptable, despite it having a full VWSH. That Honda Civic engine may well have blown but i would imagine that the owner had a new engine installed in less time than i have been waiting for a working heater to be put into mine........in the meantime as the Golf sits redundant and useless the 1994 Corrado keeps on going, and keeping its passengers warm as well.....

Offline berg

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 49
  • -Receive: 38
« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2013, 02:40:16 pm »
the build qulaity on VW's is not what it was, but even Mercedes had issues did they not?

I was always under the impression that Japanese built the best engines and Germans the best bodies. Are BMW's and Audi's still not bombproof when it comes to rust/weathering? 

We need Nissan and BMW to do a joint GT-R M car...
Diamond Black Pearl Edition 30, still going strong but now back to Stg 1

Offline homesqueeze

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 32
  • -Receive: 42
  • Got another Golf!
« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2013, 07:50:48 pm »
My unmodded GTI is coming up to 8 years old and although I've had a fair few minor issues over the years I haven't had any serious problems. Having rust needing fixing is probably the worst thing, which I agree is unacceptable these days. Otherwise it seems to be plodding along fine at the moment.
'16 MK7 Golf 1.4TSI Match Edition

Offline zerolag

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 13
  • Ass of Ennis
« Reply #19 on: January 15, 2013, 10:01:12 am »
Once you have a big bill on a car people get put off that brand, sometimes for life.
They all have issues, keeping it Jap look at the Toyota.lexus stuck accelerator problem, and the inline 5th injector problems to plague the modern Toyota.lexus 2.2 Diesel engines... Which keeps reoccurring even after replacement.

Drop onto any car forum to experience how any car has its problems.  I owned a SAAB 95 Aero, supposedly not very reliable, but it was bulletproof for me up to 160k when I sold it.

I think to a certain degree, luck and mechanical sympathy plays a part.