Make a donation

Author Topic: Track day in wet and cold! DAMAGE PICS!  (Read 6755 times)

Offline Kregiel

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 28
  • -Receive: 20
  • Supersonic
Track day in wet and cold! DAMAGE PICS!
« on: January 19, 2013, 01:51:38 pm »
Hi Guys,

Have track day booked for tomorrow here in Ireland and it looks like it will be wet and around 5 degrees. Have new Good Year assymetrics fitted last week so now they have 500 km on them.

I know cars with semi slicks could be a potential danger in the wet.

Anything else in particular I should be watching out for?

Cheers
Paul
« Last Edit: March 11, 2013, 07:36:34 pm by Kregiel »
Red 2008 GTI, H&R ARB, b12 suspension, walk, milltek non-res full exhaust, forge IC, tarox 10 pot big brake kit, RS4 valve, Forge SSK, Autotech HPFP, Xenons, K04 Turbo, Quaife LSD, South Bend stage 3 Daily with SMF clutch, XB and UB Unibraces

Offline tony_danza

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 112
  • The voice of objective reason, but mine's best.
Re: Track day in wet and cold!
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2013, 02:02:43 pm »
Not really, do a few laps at 50% and build slowly, the rears will take a long time to get warm so don't get caught out with lift off oversteer. You may also find there's more grip off line, where there isn't as much rubber on the track.

My very first was a Donnington with snow on the ground  :happy2:
Sideways yo!

Offline Tfsi_Mike

• Thank You
  • -Given: 241
  • -Receive: 309
  • Go Large or Go Home
    • Tfsi Mikes Money Pit AKS / TTE / RTech St2+ Cupra
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,32721.msg402587.html#msg402587
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2013, 03:37:22 pm »

Mike has a fair bit of trackday experience & a good person to take advice from.

I would be apprehensive too in poor weather but it's really good driving experience  :driver:

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 380
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2013, 03:43:31 pm »
I've done both Nurburgring and Spa in the wet on Goodyear Asymmetrics (1's) and they were very good - What I had to watch out for most (at Spa) was spinning cars which were on slicks!.

Doing a trackday in the wet is a great way to better learn the circuit because you drive that much slower and take in much more information. It can be very satisfying.

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline rex

• Thank You
  • -Given: 50
  • -Receive: 74
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2013, 03:44:29 pm »
Great advice from tony_danza!  :notworthy:

Kregiel
you have very good tires for those conditions! Out of curiosity... Asymmetric 1 ore 2?
Last year, during my nurburgring trip, I experienced similar conditions but I had a rental car (unknown for me) and semislicks, so the first laps (till the tires and weather got warmer were quite "interesting"). So, yes, semislicks might be all over the place...

Offline Kregiel

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • Supersonic
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2013, 03:56:31 pm »
Cheers guys! Can't wait now! I will report back how it went.

Rex I have assymetrics 2! Loving them.... Checking on goodyear web site I could not find assymetric 1. It could be ass2 predecessors

Paul
« Last Edit: January 19, 2013, 04:17:53 pm by Kregiel »
Red 2008 GTI, H&R ARB, b12 suspension, walk, milltek non-res full exhaust, forge IC, tarox 10 pot big brake kit, RS4 valve, Forge SSK, Autotech HPFP, Xenons, K04 Turbo, Quaife LSD, South Bend stage 3 Daily with SMF clutch, XB and UB Unibraces

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2013, 04:07:35 pm »

Cheers guys! Can't wait now! I will report back how it wenr.

Rex I have assymetrics 2! Loving them.... Checking on goodyear web site I could not find assymetric 1. It could be ass2 predecessors

Paul

....Yes, the Asymm 2's have superceded the earlier Asymm 1's.

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline rex

• Thank You
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2013, 06:38:51 pm »
Asymm 1 are far better for performance than Asymm 2.
Asymm 2 are far better for comfort than Asymm 1.
It appears that Goodyear took Michelins example with PS 2 and PS 3 (better for street use than for performance). Too bad Asymm 1 are no longer available...  :sad1:

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2013, 07:27:58 pm »

Asymm 1 are far better for performance than Asymm 2.
Asymm 2 are far better for comfort than Asymm 1.

....Well I never found Asymm 1's lacked any comfort. And so far, Asymm 2's are every bit as good as Asymm 1's in the wet. I haven't done a trackday on Asymm 2's though.

Offline rex

• Thank You
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2013, 10:07:45 pm »
The steering response is much worse on the Asymm 2 because of the side wall which is much more elastic. I had the same ride comfort on Asymm 1 as I have with semislicks! Asymm 2 is much smother.... Thus turn in is worse in Asymm 2 and I feel that the car is slower around bends and much more imprecise.
Maybe the behavior is different on our cars because I had 17 inch Asymm 1 and 2 and most of you use 18 inch tires...

Offline Hedge

• Thank You
  • -Given: 484
  • -Receive: 304
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2013, 10:09:54 pm »
It appears that Goodyear took Michelins example with PS 2 and PS 3 (better for street use than for performance). Too bad Asymm 1 are no longer available...  :sad1:

PS3's were a replacement for Pilot Exaltos. PS2's have been replaced by PSS's.

Offline rex

• Thank You
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2013, 10:20:39 pm »
Exactly my point! PS3 follow PS2 by name, but were not meant to be replacements...
I think this is the case with Asymm 1 and Asymm 2....

Offline DaveD

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 0
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2013, 12:04:06 am »
Let us know how the track day goes.

I'm in Ireland too, and in the market for a GTi. Regular track day goer at Mondello too so will be looking forward to getting the GTi out.

Offline Kregiel

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • Supersonic
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2013, 01:12:16 pm »
Hi Guys,

SOme good news and bad news unfortunately from my track day.

Good news first
It was a brill day at Mondello with only 10 cars signed up for the day which meant each driver had like a private track day. It was 5 degrees cold but dry so grip was there. I was really happy with the car and the new assymetrics tires gripped extremely well. In total I did like 120 km and really felt confident with the car and very happy with the way it handled. I have polar fis in my car and once oil temp reached 105 degrees which took around 8 laps which is 20ish minute driving I took a break and kept the car running at idle etc and I repeated this procedure throughtout the day.

Bad news now
When the track day was drawing to an end around 2 pm (it was run from 11 to 15) once I was driving and breaking before a corner and having reduced to 3 rd gear I heard a metal noise from the engine then a stop sign appeared on the dash and car stopped. The oil got spilled and as it was 105 degrees it started to burn beneath the car. It was a small flame like 10 cm in height so no damage to the car but still the service guys used 4 tanks of extinguisher to cool down those oil drip.
I am heart broken as car is not driveable and it looks like a serious thing. The car will be tested by my mechanic tomorrow and will know much more what is the story. I modded my car metociously and the idea was a reliable daily car with 5-6 track days a year. It is BWA engine with k04 and plenty of supporting mods. If it turns out to be engine internals which is too early to say now I will potentianlly be better off going for s3 engine straight away as it's the strongest of gti,ed30 etc as we all know here. My car was running 330 bhp and common consensus here is it's safe to do so on BWA engine. This theory might be challenged now but will know better tomorrow.

I will report back and hope guys here will help me make the best decision based on the facts.

Cheers
Paul :sad1:

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
Re: Track day in wet and cold! HEART BROKEN!
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2013, 01:21:13 pm »
^^^^
I feel gutted for you, Paul. But glad you weren't hurt, or set alight!

Good job this didn't happen to you at Nurburgring on a touristfahrting day though!

I'm sure you'll keep us posted.