Make a donation

Author Topic: a harsh lesson  (Read 15818 times)

Offline camfollower

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 10
  • -Receive: 31
  • Cam follower awareness.
Re: a harsh lesson
« Reply #105 on: January 26, 2013, 07:45:11 am »
Lol, I've had some sheds over the years a mk5 golf gti certainly isn't one them!

Offline gazon69

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 20
  • -Receive: 34
« Reply #106 on: January 26, 2013, 10:18:16 am »
Listen guys. I think people need to relax a little. I never had a moments trouble in the three years i have owned the car up until now. If you are running a stock car or even a mapped car then tbh i dont think you have much to worry about. I am sailing very close to the wind at the moment with the mods i am running. I know this. As said its only a matter of time before rods let go i presume. I am thinking while sump is off shall i just bite the bullet and stump up for rods and pistons while im fafing around later, rather than take another blow later on.

Up until now i haven't heard of a cam follower go on a stock hpfp. I dont know if any of the tuners have heard anything or seen anything though.

Offline gazon69

• Thank You
« Reply #107 on: January 26, 2013, 10:55:10 am »
Look what i just picked up.  :wink:

Offline Bignod00

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 11
  • -Receive: 40
  • Ginsters are sh*tE!!
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,96791.msg959667.html#msg959667
« Reply #108 on: January 26, 2013, 10:55:41 am »
Listen guys. I think people need to relax a little.I never had a moments trouble in the three years i have owned the car up until now. If you are running a stock car or even a mapped car then tbh i dont think you have much to worry about. I am sailing very close to the wind at the moment with the mods i am running. I know this. As said its only a matter of time before rods let go i presume. I am thinking while sump is off shall i just bite the bullet and stump up for rods and pistons while im fafing around later, rather than take another blow later on.

Up until now i haven't heard of a cam follower go on a stock hpfp. I dont know if any of the tuners have heard anything or seen anything though.
I think you've hit the nail on the head there mate! :congrats:

This isn't a new problem and people/VAG have been aware of this for a long while now. It is obviously an oversight by VAG whilst designing the engine hence the reason they released a Technical Service Bulletin detailing the problem and what/how to change (even though most dealers won't have a clue about it!) :stupid:

That being so, it is still a bit of a PITA and so quite rightly people like us are concerned about it. I've changed my follower every 5k miles after I first heard about this problem and every time there has been literally no wear on it. The first follower was changed at 20k and that only had very minimal wear too after 15k of Stg 1 REVO. It really is a simple job and even for a retard like me it only takes 20 minutes (including a brew!) :happy2:

To the OP, I am truly gutted to see that this has happened to you. I do think that your making the sensible decision of doing the Rods etc whilst the sump is off (however expensive it is) as you sound like your running some serious power!???

Best of luck to you and I hope you get it all sorted as soon as possible! :happy2: :pomppomp:

4WD Leon Cupra TTE420 K1, maybe slightly modded. :evilgrin:

Offline gazon69

• Thank You
« Reply #109 on: January 26, 2013, 11:18:18 am »
Listen guys. I think people need to relax a little.I never had a moments trouble in the three years i have owned the car up until now. If you are running a stock car or even a mapped car then tbh i dont think you have much to worry about. I am sailing very close to the wind at the moment with the mods i am running. I know this. As said its only a matter of time before rods let go i presume. I am thinking while sump is off shall i just bite the bullet and stump up for rods and pistons while im fafing around later, rather than take another blow later on.

This isn't a new problem and people/VAG have been aware of this for a long while now. It is obviously an oversight by VAG whilst designing the engine hence the reason they released a Technical Service Bulletin detailing the problem and what/how to change (even though most dealers won't have a clue about it!) :stupid:

That being so, it is still a bit of a PITA and so quite rightly people like us are concerned about it. I've changed my follower every 5k miles after I first heard about this problem and every time there has been literally no wear on it. The first follower was changed at 20k and that only had very minimal wear too after 15k of Stg 1 REVO. It really is a simple job and even for a retard like me it only takes 20 minutes (including a brew!) :happy2:

To the OP, I am truly gutted to see that this has happened to you. I do think that your making the sensible decision of doing the Rods etc whilst the sump is off (however expensive it is) as you sound like your running some serious power!???

Best of luck to you and I hope you get it all sorted as soon as possible! :happy2: :pomppomp:
  :happy2:

Offline Sam89

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 1
    • Email
« Reply #110 on: January 26, 2013, 11:54:15 am »
If you need a hand with anything garry just give me a bell and ill pop through with my trusty old hammer :-)

Offline ARV_90

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 14
« Reply #111 on: January 26, 2013, 12:38:12 pm »

I don't think anyone is panicking about it m8 certainly not me I wont be changing any follower that's for sure... certainly not every 5k ...
All I was pointing out was that you may suffer this problem when you go to far with the mapping as it sounds like the earlier revision A cams "may" suffer damage due to the extra pressure when mapped past stage 1.

And as the OP said himself he is running close to the edge anyway so is expecting problems to arise.

Go on any make forum and you will only get to here about things that go wrong .... Plenty of people on here that have 100k plus miles on them mapped and still going strong ...
« Last Edit: January 26, 2013, 01:22:28 pm by ARV_90 »

Offline Bignod00

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 11
  • -Receive: 40
  • Ginsters are sh*tE!!
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,96791.msg959667.html#msg959667
« Reply #112 on: January 26, 2013, 01:36:52 pm »

I don't think anyone is panicking about it m8 certainly not me I wont be changing any follower that's for sure... certainly not every 5k ...
All I was pointing out was that you may suffer this problem when you go to far with the mapping as it sounds like the earlier revision A cams "may" suffer damage due to the extra pressure when mapped past stage 1.

And as the OP said himself he is running close to the edge anyway so is expecting problems to arise.

Go on any make forum and you will only get to here about things that go wrong .... Plenty of people on here that have 100k plus miles on them mapped and still going strong ...
Very very true mate! That's the thing about a Forum, it's mainly used for problems and queries so can be alarming if you let it! :happy2:
I'm glad you're happy with your motor, that's all anyone wants. I wouldn't totally dismiss the idea of changing the follower now and then though! :wink:

4WD Leon Cupra TTE420 K1, maybe slightly modded. :evilgrin:

Offline ARV_90

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 14
« Reply #113 on: January 26, 2013, 02:13:21 pm »

Very very true mate! That's the thing about a Forum, it's mainly used for problems and queries so can be alarming if you let it! :happy2:
I'm glad you're happy with your motor, that's all anyone wants. I wouldn't totally dismiss the idea of changing the follower now and then though! :wink:

I will see how it goes with the follower... Mine is a 58 plate DSG I bought it from a VW when it was just 3 years old and for peace of mind DSG and all that I took an extended warranty out with them. Had my days of playing with engines... although a stage 1 map is on my mind, and I blame this forum :-)

Sure is a dam fine car... Love it  :smiley:
« Last Edit: January 26, 2013, 02:15:54 pm by ARV_90 »

Offline Aas

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 1
    • Email
« Reply #114 on: January 26, 2013, 02:36:35 pm »
I changed my follower in my 55 plate in the summer as it kept going into limp mode under load, mine was pretty worn and my cam probably needs changing going by what others have said on here, mine is completely standard with 107k on the clock, it's been driving fine since I changed the follower but will still go into limp mode if you say floor it going up a hill on the motorway at speed.

I bought my car from a non vw dealer and paid extra for a lifetime warranty so will have to have a look into it and see if I can get the cam changed under that.

Offline GrayMK5GTI

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 125
  • -Receive: 247
« Reply #115 on: January 26, 2013, 02:47:51 pm »
Careful we aren't jumping from one extreme to another in this page. One minute: PANIC, next minute: DON'T WORRY.

Best advice is if your running big power, check it every 5-10k. Stock, every 40-50k sounds sensible.

It's a cheap part and for the peace of mind and to reduce the risk of big bills it's certainly worth keeping an eye on .

Sensible??  :smiley:
NOW: 2015 Golf R DSG 5 Door, Lapiz Blue, 19s, Discover Nav, Reversing Camera
GONE:2007 Black GTI Edition 30 3dr

Offline gazon69

• Thank You
« Reply #116 on: January 26, 2013, 02:55:42 pm »
Careful we aren't jumping from one extreme to another in this page. One minute: PANIC, next minute: DON'T WORRY.

Best advice is if your running big power, check it every 5-10k. Stock, every 40-50k sounds sensible.

It's a cheap part and for the peace of mind and to reduce the risk of big bills it's certainly worth keeping an eye on .

Sensible??  :smiley:
personally now I am more aware of the problem I will change mine at 5k. Everyone will have there own thoughts on when they want to change theirs .

Offline gazon69

• Thank You
« Reply #117 on: January 26, 2013, 03:02:23 pm »
So here's where I'm at. I've just been offered on what I think is a great deal in an ed30 lump fitted. Instead of going down the repair route I'm going to bite the bullet and just swap the whole thing. Thanks to all who have given advice and helped me out in this situation. At the end of the day i think it will be better in the long run. At least the whole situation has given others insight of what can go wrong and how to avoid the same happening to them. Once again thanks guys

Offline NeilM

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 11
    • Email
« Reply #118 on: January 26, 2013, 05:50:51 pm »
Two revisions on the cam, the earlier A one that has "soft" lobes and the more robust and later B one.

Has anyone had a quote from VW to buy the later 'B' Cam??

I've had 2 followers go, Stage 2+, one with Autotech and one with APR pump, car only gets used for track days though.

Offline gazon69

• Thank You
« Reply #119 on: January 26, 2013, 05:58:46 pm »
Two revisions on the cam, the earlier A one that has "soft" lobes and the more robust and later B one.

Has anyone had a quote from VW to buy the later 'B' Cam??

I've had 2 followers go, Stage 2+, one with Autotech and one with APR pump, car only gets used for track days though.

£195+vat