Make a donation

Author Topic: Why does our car stink??  (Read 4557 times)

Offline Kalpsn2000

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 10
  • -Receive: 56
Re: Why does our car stink??
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2013, 08:12:57 pm »
Recirculation comes on automatically when you go into reverse, so not that. Seems like pollen filter and air con check would be the best bet.
Well, I never knew that.  Get ready for my next post reporting on the crash caused by looking at the climate control instead of looking behind me...

Haha!  :signLOL: It won't come up on the panel but if you listen closely when you have the fans on and stick it in reverse the noise will change slightly when it goes into recirc  :happy2:

Goes into recirc when you use windscreen washer as well. If your interested  :laugh:

Didn't know that was case, how come I can still smell the washer fluid when I wash my windscreen?
Diamond Black 2007 (56) Golf GTI 3Dr DSG ¦ 18" Monza II's ¦ Cruise control ¦ MFSW ¦ Highline ¦ Rear parking sensors ¦ PDT Stage 1 ¦ Forge Twintake ¦ H&R Sport Springs ¦ NQSBBK ¦ R32 Rear bumper ¦ BCS Powervalve Sports R32 style TBE ¦ Valeo LED Rear Lights ¦ Xenon lights with HID kit ¦ DNX521DAB ¦ 12mm Spacers all round ¦

Offline MrDo

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 10
  • -Receive: 14
« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2013, 12:42:43 am »
Change your Pollen filter. When I bought my GTI the air con had a bad smell, a gentle vomit smell :sick:

My local Indy predicted it over the phone and they were correct. Changed pollen filter and it went. All smells of roses now :happy2:

Pollen filter change makes it all good :drinking:
« Last Edit: January 23, 2013, 12:44:39 am by MrDo »

Offline Moz

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 24
  • -Receive: 11
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2013, 07:51:12 am »
Maybe the OP forgot about his post?

Offline SRC

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 21
  • -Receive: 27
« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2013, 06:34:52 pm »
Goes into recirc when you use windscreen washer as well. If your interested  :laugh:

Dammit.  Now I've got to prang the front of my car, too.

Shadow blue DSG 5 door with leather, sunroof, 18" Monzas, MFSW. 
Full list of mods:  Seat inserts and a VW bottle opener.  Each worth 20bhp.

Offline Rachael

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 9
  • -Receive: 10
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: January 23, 2013, 07:19:50 pm »
So glad this came up!

Turner my air con on this morning and it was not nice. Smelt like my bin the morning after a good night out  :signLOL:

Least I know what it is now  :smiley:

Offline Tortaruga

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 36
  • -Receive: 105
« Reply #20 on: January 23, 2013, 07:33:59 pm »
Smelt like my bin the morning after a good night out

Does that mean you've puked in your bin?
'07 Red manual

Offline Rachael

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 9
  • -Receive: 10
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: January 23, 2013, 07:36:11 pm »
Yes, yes I have..
Was a heavy night and it was my bin or my bed.

Just for the record, I threw the bin away  :signLOL:

Offline trs888

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 17
  • -Receive: 20
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: January 24, 2013, 02:35:29 am »
Sounds like you have bacteria in the aircon system. Not uncommon if it's not been serviced for a while. Probably worse in reverse, because as said above it puts the car into recirculation mode and it will just be pumping smelly air round the cabin. Your best bet is to either get a garage to run an antibacterial cleaner through the system or buy one of the aerosol type cleaners that you leave spraying inside the car while you leave the aircon running. Pollen filter change wouldn't hurt either.

+1 

my dads bmw is really bad. needs doing every 6 months or so. it needs the air con "bomb"

VW did it in my GTI and the guy said it would smell a bit strong for a few days after but i thought it was fine, and i actually liked the smell! :surprised:

Offline homesqueeze

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 32
  • -Receive: 42
  • Got another Golf!
« Reply #23 on: January 24, 2013, 09:20:02 am »
Recirculation comes on automatically when you go into reverse, so not that. Seems like pollen filter and air con check would be the best bet.
Well, I never knew that.  Get ready for my next post reporting on the crash caused by looking at the climate control instead of looking behind me...

Haha!  :signLOL: It won't come up on the panel but if you listen closely when you have the fans on and stick it in reverse the noise will change slightly when it goes into recirc  :happy2:

Didn't know that was case, how come I can still smell the washer fluid when I wash my windscreen?

It does it to stop the smell coming in, but yeah I get a little whiff of fluid sometimes too. I think it's just because it takes a second for the recirc to kick in and in that time a little bit of the smell sneaks in.
'16 MK7 Golf 1.4TSI Match Edition