Make a donation

Author Topic: new wheels, is it worth fitting spacers and what size?  (Read 604 times)

Offline andybon

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 11
  • -Receive: 8
new wheels, is it worth fitting spacers and what size?
« on: January 22, 2013, 07:45:00 pm »
Just got myself a set of ttrs wheels for my golf. Going to fit them at the weekend and an wandering weather to fit some spacers at the rear or not.

The new wheels are 18's fitted with 225 40 tyres on an 8j rim with an offset of et 45.

The car will be lowered in the future around 30mm so what size spacers should I be looking for?

Also should I fit them to the rear only, or on the front and rear?
How hard can it be?

Offline Top Cat

• Top cat
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 171
  • -Receive: 335
  • Almost Jacamo
Re: new wheels, is it worth fitting spacers and what size?
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2013, 07:47:55 pm »
It depends how you want it to look and how you are going to drive it. The spec of the wheels you mention is pretty much perfect for a Mk 5 Golf. They will stick out about 12mm further than a Monza, so should fill the arches nice without rubbing.

Offline andrewparker

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 32
  • -Receive: 78
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2013, 07:51:14 pm »
Yep, I wouldn't fit spacers with that offset and width - really shouldn't need them.

Offline andybon

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 11
  • -Receive: 8
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2013, 07:57:35 pm »
I was thinking the same, just wanted it to sit nicely in the arches and fill them out nicely. I don't really drive it hard or do any track days so was just purely for aesthetics.

Want this weather to clear up a bit so I can get them fitted, Want to make sure they for nicely before I lower it though!
How hard can it be?