Make a donation

Author Topic: How many have had DSG issues?  (Read 5415 times)

Offline SteveTDCi

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 1
    • Email
Re: How many have had DSG issues?
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2013, 11:27:27 pm »
I had dsg and I think the mechatronic unit was failing, well it did jerk about a bit. I would never have another, I hated it. It was useless in the snow too. Mine was an a3 tdi, I've tried a passat 2.0 tdi 2012 model and still didn't like it. If I was going to go for an auto I'd get a proper one not a dsg. I appreciate others love them though :)

Offline Tamiyoman

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 39
  • Prev car - Candy DSG ED30 No. 2235
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2013, 11:42:18 pm »
I drove my mothers automatic golf last year in the now and it was no better than my DSG, fit winter tyres and your fine  :happy2:
MK7 Golf R, Pure White 3Dr DSG, Had since 10/06/14

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 380
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2013, 11:57:20 pm »

I had dsg and I think the mechatronic unit was failing, well it did jerk about a bit. I would never have another, I hated it. It was useless in the snow too. Mine was an a3 tdi, I've tried a passat 2.0 tdi 2012 model and still didn't like it. If I was going to go for an auto I'd get a proper one not a dsg. I appreciate others love them though :)

....I respect and accept that you don't like driving a DSG car but how is driving in D-mode (automatic) on a DSG different from a "proper" automatic?

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline SteveTDCi

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 1
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2013, 07:22:25 am »
When stuck in d at 70 mph there is no difference, but then neither is there with a manual. A proper auto when changing or pulling away is much smoother I find dsg a bit sharp, certainly as it accelerates.

Offline RobboGTI

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 7
« Reply #19 on: January 23, 2013, 08:10:56 am »
When stuck in d at 70 mph there is no difference, but then neither is there with a manual. A proper auto when changing or pulling away is much smoother I find dsg a bit sharp, certainly as it accelerates.

I'm sorry but my DSG is nothing apart from smooth. Couldn't imagine it being any better tbh :/

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #20 on: January 23, 2013, 09:41:23 am »

....When warmed up mine is very smooooth under acceleration and without that clutch slip sound and feel which many conventional automatic transmissions have. Even S-mode is smooth.

With added extensions to the flappy paddles I enjoy every mile.

But, as I said before, some folks simply prefer everything about a manual gearbox and there ain't nothing wrong with that  :happy2:

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline RobboGTI

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #21 on: January 23, 2013, 09:54:17 am »

....When warmed up mine is very smooooth under acceleration and without that clutch slip sound and feel which many conventional automatic transmissions have. Even S-mode is smooth.

With added extensions to the flappy paddles I enjoy every mile.

But, as I said before, some folks simply prefer everything about a manual gearbox and there ain't nothing wrong with that  :happy2:

Where is the best place to get these paddle extensions? And are there different styles?

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #22 on: January 23, 2013, 10:05:36 am »

Where is the best place to get these paddle extensions? And are there different styles?

....Contact forum member Mandy - She can get them for ~£25 and in a couple of different finishes.

Mine are expensive TID carbon ones which were the only extensions available when bought.  :happy2:

Offline RobboGTI

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #23 on: January 23, 2013, 10:07:18 am »

....Contact forum member Mandy - She can get them for ~£25 and in a couple of different finishes.

Mine are expensive TID carbon ones which were the only extensions available when bought.  :happy2:

Will do just that. Thank you!

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #24 on: January 23, 2013, 10:26:06 am »

Will do just that. Thank you!

....You're welcome. Perhaps you could give my daughter Sky a vote if you haven't done so already - See my sig for link. [Proud father shamelessly plugging daughter's efforts]

Offline TurboTrev

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: January 23, 2013, 12:49:04 pm »
Just make sure you like DSG before you buy - for everyone that loves DSG there is just as many don't.  Also, make sure you get a warranty that covers it, 3 DSG cars belonging to my wife and my friends have all had recent issues with them, which would have cost a fortune if they had not been under warranty.  My wife has gone back to a manual now and we both prefer it.

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #26 on: January 23, 2013, 12:57:25 pm »

Just make sure you like DSG before you buy

....You are right but the OP has already stated that he has driven and wants a DSG.

There is no right or wrong whether you buy Manual or DSG - It's just down to your personal driving preference and BOTH can go wrong just like any other car component.

Offline swgti

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 28
  • -Receive: 6
  • GTI owners are born not manufactured!
« Reply #27 on: January 23, 2013, 01:48:27 pm »
Forgive me for hijacking the post but I'm a total DSG virgin, never driven one or even been in one so do I have this right........

In drive it's just like a normal auto, do you then select another setting to change it to flappy paddles? and is the sport mode flappy paddle controlled but with a longer range in the revs?
Laser Blue 3dr No 209683, Leather, Monza II's and a few other goodies...........GONE but not forgotten......now in an A4 S-Line Avant 170tdi......god I miss the Gti.

Offline RobboGTI

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #28 on: January 23, 2013, 02:01:39 pm »
There's loads of ways you can drive.
Normal auto
Then if you for example shift down with the paddle it will override the auto temporarily
Sport will basically redline every gear if foot to the floor. I rarely use sport.
Or you can shift the stick across the manual where you can either use the gear stick to shift up and down or the paddles

Offline S2 Ant

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 9
  • -Receive: 21
« Reply #29 on: January 23, 2013, 02:08:21 pm »
Had my GTi for almost 3yrs now, its an 07 plate and not had any DSG problems at all (touch wood lol)
Love the drive of a DSG car, i think its more sporty than a manual, esp with the paddles for shifting!
Ant