Make a donation

Author Topic: New engine decision time!  (Read 7528 times)

Offline Kregiel

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 28
  • -Receive: 20
  • Supersonic
New engine decision time!
« on: January 22, 2013, 03:20:28 pm »
Hi Guys,

As some of you know my car broke down at track days I did last weekend....

What happened is and bear with me here as I am not technical, the piston 3 got broken and destroyed the bottom end of the engine. I need a new engine is the short conclusion.
My car was stock gti (BWA) engine with k04 and around 330 bhp. It looks like it is too much on this engine without amending internals based on my experience here especially at track days when pushing hard.

Now my plan is to have car mapped but aim at safe limit for an engine as it is my daily driver with occasional track day I was thinking of either BHZ (S3) engine or CDLA (golf R). I found 2012 golf r engine with only 2000 miles on it and tempted for this one.

However before I make up my mind I want to know your opinions. How do the above engines differ if at all?? Is R stronger due to being newer and 270bhp stock??

Let me know your thoughts as driving mazda 2 as a replacement car can't be could for my health!

Thanks
Paul

Red 2008 GTI, H&R ARB, b12 suspension, walk, milltek non-res full exhaust, forge IC, tarox 10 pot big brake kit, RS4 valve, Forge SSK, Autotech HPFP, Xenons, K04 Turbo, Quaife LSD, South Bend stage 3 Daily with SMF clutch, XB and UB Unibraces

Offline E30Dom

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 42
  • -Receive: 76
Re: New engine decision time!
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2013, 03:22:43 pm »
No chances of building with stronger internals? or did it score the bores, blow the block?
Diesel Daily Hack.

Offline Kregiel

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • Supersonic
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2013, 03:31:24 pm »
no chance unfortunately as the engine is in bits... Also I wouldn't want to run the same power on this set up with standard internals

Paul
Red 2008 GTI, H&R ARB, b12 suspension, walk, milltek non-res full exhaust, forge IC, tarox 10 pot big brake kit, RS4 valve, Forge SSK, Autotech HPFP, Xenons, K04 Turbo, Quaife LSD, South Bend stage 3 Daily with SMF clutch, XB and UB Unibraces

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 380
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2013, 03:43:37 pm »
Someone like Statller have got plenty of experience in engine transplants.

In ignorance I imagine that the Golf R engine would be slightly later and suit your existing Golf body better. BUT, check that the 'R' ECU is early enough to be remapped if desired. Hurdy knows more but I think that the later ones are difficult to crack/remap.

I have to say that I'm not surprised that your engine went eventually with 330 bhp on what was a stock K03 GTI engine. It's called pushing the envelope.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2013, 03:45:20 pm by RedRobin »

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline Hedge

• Thank You
  • -Given: 484
  • -Receive: 304
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2013, 03:47:37 pm »
I don't think he will be using a new Tricore ECU Robin. I'm pretty sure he will keep his existing one.  :confused:

Is someone doing the work for you? If so I would ask them what they are comfortable with.

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2013, 03:48:21 pm »
Just wanted to add, Paul, that as one door closes, another door opens - So good times ahead, buddy  :happy2:

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline Kregiel

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • Supersonic
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2013, 04:32:19 pm »
All fair points guys! keep them coming...

My local mechanic well respected here whom I trust will be doing the engine swap. He builds engines himself so from that point of view I am happy.

I will need somebody to put the map on the car. Would the car need to be towed to a garage or could be driven slowly? With the new set up I will go with one of the big tuning companies. Pretty sure wrong map could have caused all that havoc.

Thanks
Paul

Offline JoeDarKa

• Thank You
  • -Given: 57
  • -Receive: 73
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2013, 04:34:44 pm »
All fair points guys! keep them coming...

My local mechanic well respected here whom I trust will be doing the engine swap. He builds engines himself so from that point of view I am happy.

I will need somebody to put the map on the car. Would the car need to be towed to a garage or could be driven slowly? With the new set up I will go with one of the big tuning companies. Pretty sure wrong map could have caused all that havoc.

Thanks
Paul

Do you remember the "Sammy" episode?! Get it towed

GT Sport - Reflex Silver 2.0 TDI My Build

Offline Kregiel

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • Supersonic
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2013, 04:37:25 pm »

Do you remember the "Sammy" episode?! Get it towed
[/quote]

of course I remember Sammy! But he was giving the car beans! I specifically said take it very easy.....  I might consider to meet one of respected tuners we have here so it's an important point for me

Paul

Offline JoeDarKa

• Thank You
  • -Given: 57
  • -Receive: 73
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2013, 04:40:43 pm »
I would still get it towed and avoid driving it at all costs  :grin:

GT Sport - Reflex Silver 2.0 TDI My Build

Offline Kiwi

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 16
  • -Receive: 15
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2013, 04:45:30 pm »

Just on a side note:-

If your running an aftermarket HPFP, then you should check the follower straight after every track day.

APR HPFP causes extreme wear to the follower

Just bear that in mind, when your rebuilding

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2013, 04:53:13 pm »

Just on a side note:-

If your running an aftermarket HPFP, then you should check the follower straight after every track day.

APR HPFP causes extreme wear to the follower

Just bear that in mind, when your rebuilding

....Sensible advice to check the cam follower regularly but is "extreme wear" correct? Reports suggest that "extra wear" would be a more appropriate description.

Offline Kregiel

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • Supersonic
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2013, 04:57:33 pm »
my thoughts Robin.

Had uprated pump for 10k miles and two weeks ago when I got oil changed my mechanic checked cam follower and it was in great shape.

Paul

Offline Hurdy

• Thank You
  • -Given: 52
  • -Receive: 137
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2013, 05:06:48 pm »
Send the ECU off to your chosen tuner before the engine is done, tell them which level of tune you want (stage1, 2 or 2+), which engine block it is and which gearbox you are having fitted to it (DSG or manual). They will then be able to map the ECU out of the car whilst the engine is being swapped and then you can drive off when it's done without having to worry about driving with the wrong map. :happy2:

I'd go for the Golf R block. It is basically the same as the S3/Cupra/ED30/ED35, but you will have a few different sensors/additional sensors IIRC to cope with(like the rad thermostat is set different), but nothing major. :smiley:
Golf R gone.

Offline GrayMK5GTI

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 125
  • -Receive: 247
« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2013, 06:42:30 pm »
I'm sure the S3 has a CDL block??  :confused:

A guy on here with a cupra has strengthened the internals on his BWA and running 400bhp+
NOW: 2015 Golf R DSG 5 Door, Lapiz Blue, 19s, Discover Nav, Reversing Camera
GONE:2007 Black GTI Edition 30 3dr