Make a donation

Author Topic: New engine decision time!  (Read 7530 times)

Offline Kregiel

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 28
  • -Receive: 20
  • Supersonic
Re: New engine decision time!
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2013, 07:07:22 pm »
Guys,

Just a thought is there a way to tell by the damage to the engine if the map was a root cause? What damage could be caused by faulty map?

Paul
Red 2008 GTI, H&R ARB, b12 suspension, walk, milltek non-res full exhaust, forge IC, tarox 10 pot big brake kit, RS4 valve, Forge SSK, Autotech HPFP, Xenons, K04 Turbo, Quaife LSD, South Bend stage 3 Daily with SMF clutch, XB and UB Unibraces

Offline RedRobin

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 380
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2013, 07:18:34 pm »
^^^^
i don't know the precise answer to your question but surely your engine bust will be a result of a combination of factors. The engine will have had weaknesses which the remap may have highlit, amplified, and boom!

You won't get anywhere trying to prove to any tuner that their remap CAUSED your expensive breakage and it'll cost you more in both time and expense in pursuing such a case < IF that's what you had in mind when asking the question.

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline bacillus

• Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 451
« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2013, 07:20:05 pm »
^^I wouldn't have thought so.
If the map overboosted causing a torque spike at low rpm then I would have expected bent rods.
Without traction power is nothing!

h4rdy

« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2013, 07:30:21 pm »
no chance unfortunately as the engine is in bits... Also I wouldn't want to run the same power on this set up with standard internals

Paul

I think Dom was saying upgraded internals.

If it was me, will be in the future, I would build the ED30/S3/Cupra engine with H-Beam Rods, Loba (Mahle) Pistons, Upgraded bearings, Gas flowed head, Valves, Cam everything I could.

I believe the crank is good for 500bhp? Which surprised me TBH but with a Loba LO4XX bolted on as well you could safely have say, 350bhp for a daily then turn the whick up for track use.

I am in the fortunate position of being able to do most of the work myself but really you would want in the very least H-Beam rods and upgraded bearings.

Good luck it should be immense.

Offline gillm

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 14
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2013, 07:56:13 pm »
I would suggest looking at your mapping . Was it live mapped or just a download ? I've been running a axx with 340 hp for 2 and a half years . But yes rods and pistons would be a safe bet
west tuned gt28 @ 340hp

Offline Kregiel

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 28
  • -Receive: 20
  • Supersonic
« Reply #20 on: January 22, 2013, 08:26:21 pm »
thanks guys!

The map was custom made using RR and data logging and guy who did it is well respected.

I am just trying to find the root cause and not looking to blame anybody. What's done is done now so the only thing is to take conclusions and use those in the future.

I did one track day back in summer and was very happy. My car was dynoed at 328 bhp in summer. Now last weekend it was 4-5 degrees so the engine would have bigger power afaik and perhaps this pushed it over the edge? Like said above a multiple factors interacting at the same time.

If I decide to go for R engine I wouldn't be pushing it anything above 350ish bhp as needs to have it reliable and durable. I think it's safe to say that 328 bhp on stock 200 bhp GTI engine is much more pushing than 350 bhp on 270 bhp stock R engine which has much stronger internals.

Thanks
Paul
« Last Edit: January 22, 2013, 08:28:14 pm by Kregiel »
Red 2008 GTI, H&R ARB, b12 suspension, walk, milltek non-res full exhaust, forge IC, tarox 10 pot big brake kit, RS4 valve, Forge SSK, Autotech HPFP, Xenons, K04 Turbo, Quaife LSD, South Bend stage 3 Daily with SMF clutch, XB and UB Unibraces

Offline JMP

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 3
« Reply #21 on: January 22, 2013, 08:34:21 pm »
If its a single piston which started this, it might be a case of broken injector leading to lean condition before breaking everything (just example..)? It would be interesting to find out what really caused the failure, since these tend to hold up k04 power just fine and I really dont believe in multiple things going.. Its usually only a one single failure which may take out the engine after happening.

Offline Hedge

• Thank You
  • -Given: 484
  • -Receive: 304
« Reply #22 on: January 22, 2013, 09:12:58 pm »
A guy on here with a cupra has strengthened the internals on his BWA and running 400bhp+

Dan? I don't think it's been all plain sailing on his path to big power.  :smiley:

Offline gillm

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 14
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: January 22, 2013, 09:32:34 pm »
Do you have any idea what charge temps and egts you were getting when dyno'd ? Do you have any photos of the piston ? Was the rod still on the crank ?
west tuned gt28 @ 340hp

Offline GrayMK5GTI

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 125
  • -Receive: 247
« Reply #24 on: January 23, 2013, 06:47:14 am »
A guy on here with a cupra has strengthened the internals on his BWA and running 400bhp+

Dan? I don't think it's been all plain sailing on his path to big power.  :smiley:

Yeah that's him. Still wasn't running right on the dyno when I saw it. Surely his problems were software / bolt on issues (coilpacks possibly), rather than the strengthened internals?
NOW: 2015 Golf R DSG 5 Door, Lapiz Blue, 19s, Discover Nav, Reversing Camera
GONE:2007 Black GTI Edition 30 3dr

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #25 on: January 23, 2013, 10:22:17 am »
You don't have to be a brain surgeon to realise that pushing really big power on any engine which didn't have that power ex-factory is going to run far higher risks of breakages etc.

I'm not saying it shouldn't be done and I enjoy seeing such cars as much as any other true petrol head, but you need deep pockets full of money!

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline Hedge

• Thank You
« Reply #26 on: January 23, 2013, 10:25:48 am »
I think after Dan last came to JKM his car returned to the land of broken cars in Milton Keynes where they determined he had bent a rod.

This was on uprated rods as well.  :surprised:

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #27 on: January 23, 2013, 10:39:49 am »
If you made a list of really big power cars on this forum, the percentage of them that have had fairly serious breakages (excluding the infamous Sammy!) would be very high indeed.

I was once told by a very experienced guy in motorsport (including F1) that Volkswagens are unofficially built to withstand an approximate headroom percentage of 40%. So that means that a stock 200bhp K03 car can take about 280bhp before you start risking failures. That's why I stick to around 270bhp and only Stage 2.

Unless you are a full-time employed member of Volkswagen's design development team you are just guessing and doing trial and error even if your guesswork is reasonably well educated.

Offline Hedge

• Thank You
« Reply #28 on: January 23, 2013, 10:43:48 am »
Yes but stock cars break Robin.  :confused:

Offline graeme

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 13
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: January 23, 2013, 10:47:07 am »
I have never had a problem with mine running at 330whp / 370bhp on stock k03 internals. I dont think rab or stu have either. Not that i would advise doing it unless you are willing to take blame for your own engine should anything go wrong. :laugh: