Make a donation

Author Topic: New engine decision time!  (Read 7531 times)

Offline RedRobin

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 380
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
Re: New engine decision time!
« Reply #30 on: January 23, 2013, 10:49:07 am »

Yes but stock cars break Robin.  :confused:

....Yes, of course. I was making the point that the percentage of RISKS are far higher with big power modded cars. It stands to reason as all the components are subjected to more stress and a factory designed balance is potentailly upset.

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #31 on: January 23, 2013, 10:52:55 am »

I have never had a problem with mine running at 330whp / 370bhp on stock k03 internals. I dont think rab or stu have either. Not that i would advise doing it unless you are willing to take blame for your own engine should anything go wrong. :laugh: 

....Shall we start a list of names and calculate what the PERCENTAGE of failures is?

Please take note: I am only saying that the RISKS are higher. Surely that's not debateable. And by your self blame comment you are I think agreeing with me.  :smiley:

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline graeme

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 13
    • Email
« Reply #32 on: January 23, 2013, 11:08:12 am »

I have never had a problem with mine running at 330whp / 370bhp on stock k03 internals. I dont think rab or stu have either. Not that i would advise doing it unless you are willing to take blame for your own engine should anything go wrong. :laugh: 

....Shall we start a list of names and calculate what the PERCENTAGE of failures is?

Please take note: I am only saying that the RISKS are higher. Surely that's not debateable. And by your self blame comment you are I think agreeing with me.  :smiley:

Yes i do agree with you.

The probability that my engine will fail is high but for me thats a risk i am aware of.   (build it, break it, upgrade it)

Offline Kregiel

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 28
  • -Receive: 20
  • Supersonic
« Reply #33 on: January 23, 2013, 12:18:35 pm »
Guys,

It all comes down to how you use the car as well. You can have highly tuned car which never sees a track and it will be very reliable. On a public road you can give it beans for 10 seconds when accelerating hard for example but then you upshift and the cooling and getting to normal process starts so no issue.

On track it's totally different story as you give it beans all the time.... There are no 2 two identical situations that's why so hard to make any judgement which will withstand. Even stock GTI when given beans on track will be more prone to failure tnan 330 bhp GTI on stock internals driven as a daily. Some people say they run big power for 100k miles but the question is how many miles on a track if at all?

Some more news from my mechanic. Now the failure to my engine was not due to weak internals but lack of lubrication and/or over rev. I can safely rule out over rev as never dropped gear or accelerated to be post 6k territory. It could be in a corner when oil moves in a oil sump and there is no oil for the pump to deliver etc.  Funny enough I changed oil just 2 weeks before the track day so no way the level was too low etc. I also have oil level on POlar FIS display and it's always monitored closely.
Engine will be dismantled and parts inspected to figure out exactly what happened but this is how it stands at the moment.

Despite those facts above I will go with R /S3 engine and not standard gti one as there is not much of a difference in the price and I will sleep better as well.

Anybody experienced the lubrication issue?

Thanks guys and I will keep everybody posted

Paul
« Last Edit: January 23, 2013, 12:21:16 pm by Kregiel »
Red 2008 GTI, H&R ARB, b12 suspension, walk, milltek non-res full exhaust, forge IC, tarox 10 pot big brake kit, RS4 valve, Forge SSK, Autotech HPFP, Xenons, K04 Turbo, Quaife LSD, South Bend stage 3 Daily with SMF clutch, XB and UB Unibraces

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #34 on: January 23, 2013, 12:23:03 pm »
^^^^
Lube issues, eh - Ouch!!

So true about the road and track comparisons  :happy2:

I would be inclined to do the same and want a R/S3 engine if in the same circumstances. Though I would be investigating a RS3/TTRS engine  :evilgrin:

Offline Hedge

• Thank You
  • -Given: 484
  • -Receive: 304
« Reply #35 on: January 23, 2013, 12:24:45 pm »
Quite a lot of track cars run baffled sumps to help prevent oil surge.

e.g. If you have a long left-hander the oil will more to the right-hand side of the sump and may potentially lead to starvation and BOOM!

Offline graeme

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 13
    • Email
« Reply #36 on: January 23, 2013, 12:27:29 pm »
i would be doing the same thing :happy2:

Offline vRSAlex

• Admin
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 39
  • -Receive: 253
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,19941.0.html
« Reply #37 on: January 23, 2013, 12:44:27 pm »
Quite a lot of track cars run baffled sumps to help prevent oil surge.

e.g. If you have a long left-hander the oil will more to the right-hand side of the sump and may potentially lead to starvation and BOOM!

These are the baffled sumps I make for the 1.8T engine:

Cant do them for the TFSi's though.  No room, but I can convert them to the 1.8T oil pump.
www.akstuning.co.uk - info@akstuning.com - 01234 822324
Follow AKS tuning on Facebook

Offline Kregiel

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • Supersonic
« Reply #38 on: January 23, 2013, 01:51:20 pm »
Guys,

Who is running a baffled sump here? Is it a common issue on the VAG platform or I was very unlucky here?

Thanks
Paul
Red 2008 GTI, H&R ARB, b12 suspension, walk, milltek non-res full exhaust, forge IC, tarox 10 pot big brake kit, RS4 valve, Forge SSK, Autotech HPFP, Xenons, K04 Turbo, Quaife LSD, South Bend stage 3 Daily with SMF clutch, XB and UB Unibraces

Offline Top Cat

• Top cat
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 171
  • -Receive: 335
  • Almost Jacamo
« Reply #39 on: January 23, 2013, 03:40:24 pm »
I am pretty sure a baffled sump is not required on this platform, VW will have done extensive testing and depending on the pick-up and sump design will have come up with some figures ie amount of G forces and for how long. A few Lotus boys have them on their Toyota engines, indeed i did on my last one but there were very few cases of oil starvation engine failures and the little Lotus can pull more G than most MK5's. The Toyota engines in them were designed for cars that dont go round bends fast but still dont really suffer from this. All the ones i have heard or read about have not been on track but long bends such as motorway slip roads and traveling at silly speeds on them. Also you would have heard and seen aftermarket sumps all over the place.

How many pick up pipes get clogged up though.  :happy2:

Offline Kregiel

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • Supersonic
« Reply #40 on: January 23, 2013, 03:53:47 pm »

Decided to go for R powerplant! I ruled RS3 5 pot engine due to amount of work involved to make it work. Not an easy swap like with the R.

After the engine gets dismantled I will report back on actual cause of the failure. This might help somebody in the future. At the moment looking at engine condition looks like oil starve which seems very uncommon by what others say

Thanks for all support and help
Paul

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #41 on: January 23, 2013, 05:24:58 pm »
^^^^
We look forward to hearing about your progress with your new R powerplant  :happy2:

Offline GrayMK5GTI

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 125
  • -Receive: 247
« Reply #42 on: January 23, 2013, 07:37:32 pm »

Decided to go for R powerplant! I ruled RS3 5 pot engine due to amount of work involved to make it work. Not an easy swap like with the R.

After the engine gets dismantled I will report back on actual cause of the failure. This might help somebody in the future. At the moment looking at engine condition looks like oil starve which seems very uncommon by what others say

Thanks for all support and help
Paul

an S3 engine is a CDL lump too. Surely this will be cheaper than a newer R engine yet just as strong?? Why not save yourself some £'s??  :confused:
NOW: 2015 Golf R DSG 5 Door, Lapiz Blue, 19s, Discover Nav, Reversing Camera
GONE:2007 Black GTI Edition 30 3dr

Offline Kregiel

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • Supersonic
« Reply #43 on: January 23, 2013, 07:46:01 pm »

an S3 engine is a CDL lump too. Surely this will be cheaper than a newer R engine yet just as strong?? Why not save yourself some £'s??  :confused:

One of the criteria for me is the mileage on the engine as this engine swap is also good opportunity to get an engine with less miles than mine. I don't mind either be it S3 or R engine. There would be little price difference between those two just by calling different companies. I found an engine from 2012 car with 2k miles on it only and it just happened to be R car...

Otherwise I don't mind either of the above.

Paul

Offline rubber toe

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 21
  • -Receive: 8
    • Email
« Reply #44 on: January 23, 2013, 09:07:08 pm »
Interested to see what the cause of the failure is.

I would be checking the oil pickup/strainer if not already checked.

I have now seen the oil pickup problem on more than a few cars and not with just high mileage cars too  :confused:

Most of these problems I've seen have occurred not long after an oil change aswell.

Pics on RtechNicks thread
http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,36395.0.html
« Last Edit: January 23, 2013, 10:05:41 pm by rubber toe »