Make a donation

Author Topic: Just been tugged by the plod  (Read 8867 times)

Offline Nodz

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 73
  • -Receive: 103
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,29264.0.html
Re: Just been tugged by the plod
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2013, 11:08:17 pm »
3D 'style' plates are legal so long as they conform to the correct font which they look like they do. I take you have the BS number and name of the producer/postcode as well? The ENG/flag is a permitted variant so no issues on that front.

Can't find the exact legislation atm (I will find it though) but worth a print - https://www.gov.uk/displaying-number-plates/rules-number-plates
"Characters on a number plate can be 3D. "

As for the 'well they haven't told us" remark - that's not acceptable. How can you deal with offences when you don't even know the law. I've had the same experience as I run pressed, fully road legal plates. Got an apology out of it, especially after being told i'm also 'boy racer' but annoys me. It's no excuse.

One last point - although the MOT regs are pretty spot on with plates now, there was a period when legal plates were being failed and vice versa, so be wary of relying too much on the MOT manual - although it is an excellent read!

Nice one Jonny, knew I weren't going mad. The comment he made did annoy me but I've just spent since posting this looking legislation lol.

I  just found this but is dated july 2010: https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&q=cache:ue9bz95aFcsJ:www.dft.gov.uk/vosa/repository/MoT%2520-%2520Issue%252047%2520-%2520Jul%25202010.pdf+number+plate+regulations+3d+font+vosa&hl=en&gl=uk&pid=bl&srcid=ADGEESi1ioNwtu2NibF27zob8evVT___jDreXPQnZrEK-G0WShI6SwMP0LuBCcrH88uT6wlF0C2yRjrqXuNL3p16qpdGL-BrFwOZhLfScSsgE8zBQFdRrQMFEPjRQMt5TdMnxAMSPQDm&sig=AHIEtbSHv0pdlR9hJq4yBapCrmRbsHShYg

Page 8/9 Regulation 6.3
‘Three-dimensional characters may use grey edging or a chequered, carbon fibre effect. These and some other style characters are permissible, provided the font style
is adhered to and when viewed from approximately 20 metres the characters appear predominantly black.’

Offline Nodz

• Thank You
« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2013, 11:15:42 pm »
I know Robin, easily readable, I will admit my rear plate is dirty as I have been driving it alot today but its till readable from over 20m's away in the dark.

Cheers Andy, I see that earlier, I just gonna find it from a government site tho so #I can print it and leave in the glove box.

Jonny the only thing I've seen tonight regarding pressed plates that they can do you on is the plate is not made of retroreflective material and also because the letters are not flat to the plate they cannot be read by ANPR
http://www.mbclub.co.uk/forums/general-discussion/113434-warning-pressed-metal-plates.html

Offline jonnym

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 40
  • -Receive: 22
« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2013, 11:18:48 pm »
3D 'style' plates are legal so long as they conform to the correct font which they look like they do. I take you have the BS number and name of the producer/postcode as well? The ENG/flag is a permitted variant so no issues on that front.

Can't find the exact legislation atm (I will find it though) but worth a print - https://www.gov.uk/displaying-number-plates/rules-number-plates

As for the 'well they haven't told us" remark - that's not acceptable. How can you deal with offences when you don't even know the law. I've had the same experience as I run pressed, fully road legal plates. Got an apology out of it, especially after being told i'm also 'boy racer' but annoys me. It's no excuse.

One last point - although the MOT regs are pretty spot on with plates now, there was a period when legal plates were being failed and vice versa, so be wary of relying too much on the MOT manual - although it is an excellent read!

Nice one Jonny, knew I weren't going mad. The comment he made did annoy me but I've just spent since posting this looking legislation lol.

I  just found this but is dated july 2010: https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&q=cache:ue9bz95aFcsJ:www.dft.gov.uk/vosa/repository/MoT%2520-%2520Issue%252047%2520-%2520Jul%25202010.pdf+number+plate+regulations+3d+font+vosa&hl=en&gl=uk&pid=bl&srcid=ADGEESi1ioNwtu2NibF27zob8evVT___jDreXPQnZrEK-G0WShI6SwMP0LuBCcrH88uT6wlF0C2yRjrqXuNL3p16qpdGL-BrFwOZhLfScSsgE8zBQFdRrQMFEPjRQMt5TdMnxAMSPQDm&sig=AHIEtbSHv0pdlR9hJq4yBapCrmRbsHShYg

Page 8/9 Regulation 6.3
‘Three-dimensional characters may use grey edging or a chequered, carbon fibre effect. These and some other style characters are permissible, provided the font style
is adhered to and when viewed from approximately 20 metres the characters appear predominantly black.’

Mate your fine. Keep them on. Print all the stuff you've found, stick all the qoutes into a word document and print them off. Maybe they wanted to talk to you and use the plates as a way in...who knows. I've been pulled for a 'document check', when actually all they wanted to do is have a sniff around and look to see I was some dealer driving a white golf (of which there are plenty! :grin: ). Young person = white gti = gotta be doing something wrong! hahaha, then i just get a "ohh, it's you"!

CUT
Jonny the only thing I've seen tonight regarding pressed plates that they can do you on is the plate is not made of retroreflective material and also because the letters are not flat to the plate they cannot be read by ANPR
http://www.mbclub.co.uk/forums/general-discussion/113434-warning-pressed-metal-plates.html

Pressed metal in itself is not retorlfective, BUT it can be treated to be. The ones I have have been subject to BSI testing and do conform to the required standard. I've seen the documents and verified with the BSI as I very nearly went to court over it. The maker is one of only two pressed plate makers in the UK. As for ANPR not being able to read it! Rubbish. ANPR can read a hell of a lot more. People think incorrect spacing = camera can't read. Incorrect, it reads it perfectly, indeed alot of illegal numberplates are read. The rules are there to make it super easy to read and to ensure everyone is the same. Prssed plates are also read perfectly with no issues. Indeed, foreign vehicles are read correctly despite a lot being on pressed backgrounds - our eastern european friends spring to mind. ANPR is used to weed their vehicles out when they have stayed too long in the without re-registering. Generally the only reason why ANPR can't read properly is because the camera is positioned very poorly. The 3D aspect is legal as discussed.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2013, 01:38:24 pm by jonnym »
@PSW - "Candy white ones are the nicest and fastest"

Offline Nodz

• Thank You
« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2013, 11:25:53 pm »

I  just found this but is dated july 2010: https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&q=cache:ue9bz95aFcsJ:www.dft.gov.uk/vosa/repository/MoT%2520-%2520Issue%252047%2520-%2520Jul%25202010.pdf+number+plate+regulations+3d+font+vosa&hl=en&gl=uk&pid=bl&srcid=ADGEESi1ioNwtu2NibF27zob8evVT___jDreXPQnZrEK-G0WShI6SwMP0LuBCcrH88uT6wlF0C2yRjrqXuNL3p16qpdGL-BrFwOZhLfScSsgE8zBQFdRrQMFEPjRQMt5TdMnxAMSPQDm&sig=AHIEtbSHv0pdlR9hJq4yBapCrmRbsHShYg

Page 8/9 Regulation 6.3

Mate your fine. Keep them on. Print all the stuff you've found, stick all the qoutes into a word document and print them off. Maybe they wanted to talk to you and use the plates as a way in...who knows. I've been pulled for a 'document check', when actually all they wanted to do is have a sniff around and look to see I was some dealer driving a white golf (of which there are plenty!:grin:). Young person = white gti = gotta be doing something wrong! hahaha

Quite possibly, I just pulled over (which I don't think they expected) and carried on getting stuff out the car (as they drove past and then stopped) so they must've been mid check or something

Offline Andy

• Admin
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 39
  • -Receive: 442
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2013, 11:29:11 pm »
the plates look ok to me with the lettering been right going on the pic

Offline jonnym

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #20 on: January 22, 2013, 11:30:11 pm »

CUT

Quite possibly, I just pulled over (which I don't think they expected) and carried on getting stuff out the car (as they drove past and then stopped) so they must've been mid check or something

I replied further above...

Offline Nodz

• Thank You
« Reply #21 on: January 22, 2013, 11:39:22 pm »
All thats changed on the rear regarding the numberplate is that its now in a Wolfsburg number plate holder but its the same plates and are still clearly visible

CUT

Just seen, I only brought up the pressed issue as I saw that thread and you mentioned you had them  :happy2:

Offline jonnym

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #22 on: January 22, 2013, 11:42:44 pm »
All thats changed on the rear regarding the numberplate is that its now in a Wolfsburg number plate holder but its the same plates and are still clearly visible

CUT

Just seen, I only brought up the pressed issue as I saw that thread and you mentioned you had them  :happy2:

cool man. loads of misconceptions about pressed plates. A lot are illegal which doesn't help (and I do have a set :p). My plates are also in a wolfsburg plate holder!!  :smiley:

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 380
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #23 on: January 22, 2013, 11:48:29 pm »
As already suggested, it's an excellent idea to have some back-up documentation copies in your glovebox. You shouldn't have to but it's a convenience thing and means you won't be held up for so long.

When I got my Hella DRL's installed where my foglights were I anticipated lots of pulls and keep the Hella handbook in the car. In fact I've only been pulled once by the Police over it and they weren't inclined to believe me until I produced the written stuff and then they were extremely apologetic and started telling me what a nice car I had. I got 'pulled' by more guys on car forums over my DRL's than by the Police!

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline Kalpsn2000

• Thank You
  • -Given: 10
  • -Receive: 56
« Reply #24 on: January 22, 2013, 11:54:20 pm »
I got my pressed plates from dubmeister and they are UK road legal as they are retroreflective and have all the required details/stamps :happy2:

Not been stopped by the feds though so not sure what they would say.

Think I need to keep some printed info in the glovebox.
Diamond Black 2007 (56) Golf GTI 3Dr DSG ¦ 18" Monza II's ¦ Cruise control ¦ MFSW ¦ Highline ¦ Rear parking sensors ¦ PDT Stage 1 ¦ Forge Twintake ¦ H&R Sport Springs ¦ NQSBBK ¦ R32 Rear bumper ¦ BCS Powervalve Sports R32 style TBE ¦ Valeo LED Rear Lights ¦ Xenon lights with HID kit ¦ DNX521DAB ¦ 12mm Spacers all round ¦

Offline GrayMK5GTI

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 125
  • -Receive: 247
« Reply #25 on: January 23, 2013, 07:00:40 am »
Hi mate,

May be worth printing some of the websites out that are linked in this thread and keeping them in your car just in case?

I always keep a copy of my insurance docs hidden in the car, saves having to go down to the Police Station if you can give them all the proof they require by the side of the road  :happy2:

Graeme
NOW: 2015 Golf R DSG 5 Door, Lapiz Blue, 19s, Discover Nav, Reversing Camera
GONE:2007 Black GTI Edition 30 3dr

Offline tony_danza

• Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 112
  • The voice of objective reason, but mine's best.
« Reply #26 on: January 23, 2013, 08:57:41 am »
I can't help thinking it was more of a routine stop to get a 'feel' for you, and the plate discussion happened from there. Once they've realised you're not banned/drunk/car thief then that's why you weren't ticketed. They may not know the rules, but I can't see them pulling you again TBH.
Sideways yo!

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #27 on: January 23, 2013, 09:33:00 am »

I can't help thinking it was more of a routine stop to get a 'feel' for you, and the plate discussion happened from there. Once they've realised you're not banned/drunk/car thief then that's why you weren't ticketed. They may not know the rules, but I can't see them pulling you again TBH.

....I think the same after seeing pics of your plate. Just the Police doing their job and checking you out. It irritates me when some people get annoyed or offended by a pull - How can the Police be expected to know whether you are up to no good or not - They're right to investigate every possibility as they see fit, IMO.

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline andrewparker

• Thank You
  • -Given: 32
  • -Receive: 78
« Reply #28 on: January 23, 2013, 09:37:55 am »
Tugged, pulled... if it's a female office it all sounds good to me! :grin:

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #29 on: January 23, 2013, 09:51:31 am »

Tugged, pulled... if it's a female office it all sounds good to me! :grin:

....I got pulled by a female Italian Police officer called Julia once in Northern Italy and she was in an Alfa Romeo too. She took my car keys while she investigated me. I was a bit worried because I had been speeding but she told me that the check was because they were seeing a lot of cars stolen.

Well, on roads like this it would be rude not to drive fast..................