Make a donation

Author Topic: Considering stepping back from stg 2+ to stg 2 options...  (Read 828 times)

Offline berg

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 49
  • -Receive: 38
Considering stepping back from stg 2+ to stg 2 options...
« on: January 23, 2013, 09:59:10 pm »
Am considering the above with longetivity and reliability in mind. Stg 2+ is awesome but as a few wise old sages have said it is bordering on being a step too far if you want to run the car to high mileage. I may keep the Eddie for another 5 years at this rate.

if i do step back cant decide which of these options makes the most sense

1,) alter map and put milder settings than 9/6//6 on (along the lines of Robin's settings boost 7....) and leave the HPFP on because it will still be of some benefit of Stg 2?

2.) alter map, ditch the HPFP and possibly the CAI and run engine cover with performance panel filter, tbe and s3 intercooler. does anyone know if the HPFP comes off can you leave the RS4 valve in cause is PITA to change? If the HPFP comes off and the F setting goes leaner can I still potentially run high timing (Currently 6) if the Twintercooler stays on the car?

If i go for option 2 what would be the likely range of power/torque drop bearing in mind currently running 361bhp and 348lb ft in percentage terms?

Thanks in advance for thoughts/opinions
Diamond Black Pearl Edition 30, still going strong but now back to Stg 1

Offline gazbutS3

• Thank You
  • -Given: 52
  • -Receive: 55
    • Email
Re: Considering stepping back from stg 2+ to stg 2 options...
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2013, 10:04:38 pm »
I ran stg2+ with the std airbox on 6/6/9 for a few months and it made it a really flexible road car, often wonder if that is my ideal set-up, I reckon stg 2 and the pump and airbox would be good too :happy2:

Offline berg

• Thank You
  • -Given: 49
  • -Receive: 38
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2013, 10:16:08 pm »
I ran stg2+ with the std airbox on 6/6/9 for a few months and it made it a really flexible road car, often wonder if that is my ideal set-up, I reckon stg 2 and the pump and airbox would be good too :happy2:

yeah suppose could just alter revo settings with a stg 2 map and leave all the hardware on, although having seen gazon's cam follower thread would consider ditching the hpfp. in two minds at minute hence post.
Diamond Black Pearl Edition 30, still going strong but now back to Stg 1

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 380
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2013, 10:22:00 pm »

if i do step back cant decide which of these options makes the most sense

1,) alter map and put milder settings than 9/6//6 on (along the lines of Robin's settings boost 7....) and leave the HPFP on because it will still be of some benefit of Stg 2?

....But bear in mind I'm running a K03 GTI, not a K04 Ed30.

Aftermarket HPFP will still benefit you by maintaining fuelling 'headroom' and keeping that sweet on demand.

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline gazbutS3

• Thank You
  • -Given: 52
  • -Receive: 55
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2013, 10:24:59 pm »

yeah suppose could just alter revo settings with a stg 2 map and leave all the hardware on, although having seen gazon's cam follower thread would consider ditching the hpfp. in two minds at minute hence post.

can understand your concerns mate, but I've been running the APR pump for 25kish now and change my follower every 10K (5K oil changes) and have never seen any abnormal wear, infact I'd have been happy to put the old one back in but because I had a new one there, change it

this is with a few trackdays, sprints etc included