Make a donation

Author Topic: Assymetric Tyres?  (Read 5103 times)

Offline homesqueeze

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 32
  • -Receive: 42
  • Got another Golf!
Re: Assymetric Tyres?
« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2013, 03:54:33 pm »
The definition of asymmetric is that one side is different to the other. So as long as the edge of the tyres on one side of the car is the exact reverse of the other then it's all good!  :happy2:
'16 MK7 Golf 1.4TSI Match Edition

Offline RedRobin

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 380
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2013, 05:29:08 pm »

The definition of asymmetric is that one side is different to the other. So as long as the edge of the tyres on one side of the car is the exact reverse of the other then it's all good!  :happy2:

....Yes but Goodyear have designed their asymmetric tread patterns to work best when they are fitted such that the word INSIDE appears on the inside.

If the tyre has no such marking my first thought would be that they weren't manufactured by Goodyear but may be a Chinese copy - It has been known in the world of tyres unfortunately.

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline homesqueeze

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • Got another Golf!
« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2013, 06:39:16 pm »

The definition of asymmetric is that one side is different to the other. So as long as the edge of the tyres on one side of the car is the exact reverse of the other then it's all good!  :happy2:

....Yes but Goodyear have designed their asymmetric tread patterns to work best when they are fitted such that the word INSIDE appears on the inside.

If the tyre has no such marking my first thought would be that they weren't manufactured by Goodyear but may be a Chinese copy - It has been known in the world of tyres unfortunately.

This is true, I was just meaning that it's normal for the tread to be pointing differently from one side to the other. I did think it would be strange if it wasn't marked inside.

Offline rich83

• Thank You
  • -Given: 165
  • -Receive: 802
    • MK5 Golf GTI
  • My Ride: https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=0n29s2gq36mda02167glet4qjg&/topic,19740.0.html
« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2013, 08:50:38 pm »
The definition of asymmetric is that one side is different to the other. So as long as the edge of the tyres on one side of the car is the exact reverse of the other then it's all good!  :happy2:

Incorrect. They must be put on specifically according to the tread.

Offline homesqueeze

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • Got another Golf!
« Reply #19 on: January 25, 2013, 08:41:20 am »

Incorrect. They must be put on specifically according to the tread.

Yes I didn't explain it too clearly I admit. I know it's important that the inside and outside are the correct way round. Like I said above though I was just trying to say that there is no need to worry if the tread on one side is facing the opposite way on the other side as this is normal for asymmetrics.

Offline Kalpsn2000

• Thank You
  • -Given: 10
  • -Receive: 56
« Reply #20 on: January 25, 2013, 10:33:08 am »
Vred ultrac sessanta's are asymmetrical. The pattern will be going the opposite way on each side. I think thats what homesqueeze meant.

Diamond Black 2007 (56) Golf GTI 3Dr DSG ¦ 18" Monza II's ¦ Cruise control ¦ MFSW ¦ Highline ¦ Rear parking sensors ¦ PDT Stage 1 ¦ Forge Twintake ¦ H&R Sport Springs ¦ NQSBBK ¦ R32 Rear bumper ¦ BCS Powervalve Sports R32 style TBE ¦ Valeo LED Rear Lights ¦ Xenon lights with HID kit ¦ DNX521DAB ¦ 12mm Spacers all round ¦

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #21 on: January 25, 2013, 11:34:27 am »
^^^^
Vred's Sessanta treads look somewhat illogical. Why so very different from everyone else's asymmetrics? They don't seem to be all that popular and apparently are slow to gain any heat.

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline rich83

• Thank You
  • -Given: 165
  • -Receive: 802
    • MK5 Golf GTI
  • My Ride: https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=0n29s2gq36mda02167glet4qjg&/topic,19740.0.html
« Reply #22 on: January 25, 2013, 12:02:51 pm »
I agree robin... the pattern is too severe in my opinion.

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #23 on: January 25, 2013, 12:13:45 pm »

....I remember in my chats with Goodyear Tech guys a while back (early GY Asymm 1 days) it being mentioned that some tyre manufacturers consciously try to design tread patterns to also have aesthetic appeal because it does effect sales.

Who in their right mind is going to select a tyre solely based on whether it has a pretty tread pattern!?  :stupid:

Offline Jgoodwood

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 14
  • -Receive: 4
« Reply #24 on: January 25, 2013, 12:50:51 pm »

....I remember in my chats with Goodyear Tech guys a while back (early GY Asymm 1 days) it being mentioned that some tyre manufacturers consciously try to design tread patterns to also have aesthetic appeal because it does effect sales.

Who in their right mind is going to select a tyre solely based on whether it has a pretty tread pattern!?  :stupid:

I'm sure that good looking tyres help sales to some degree but also positive that the decent manufacturers would ensure their aesthetically pleasing designs also provide decent grip levels and disperse water...

J

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #25 on: January 25, 2013, 01:36:49 pm »
^^^^
@ J:

Agreed. There are strict safety standards to adhere to. But it is amazing how different some tyre performances are functionally.

Offline E30Dom

• Thank You
  • -Given: 42
  • -Receive: 76
« Reply #26 on: January 25, 2013, 06:37:46 pm »
I like a good looking tyre... Haha

Love the look of the GY's fitted, the rim protector is HUGE!

surely the pattern expels water better one way or another?
Diesel Daily Hack.

Offline Andy

• Admin
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 39
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: January 25, 2013, 08:53:25 pm »
i have customers who will pick a cheap tyre over a decent make just on tread pattern

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #28 on: January 25, 2013, 09:32:51 pm »

i have customers who will pick a cheap tyre over a decent make just on tread pattern

....More fool them!  :stupid:

Offline Andy

• Admin
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 39
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: January 25, 2013, 09:36:01 pm »

yep explained the differences etc but its there choice
....More fool them!  :stupid: