Make a donation

Author Topic: Stopped at gunpoint by A Mexican Police Man  (Read 2553 times)

Offline Degudodger

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 53
  • -Receive: 86
    • Flickr
Stopped at gunpoint by A Mexican Police Man
« on: January 26, 2013, 12:37:32 am »
So I'm currently in Cancun, Mexico and the weather has been pretty ropy here with rough sea and high winds. We were due to go snorkelling at Isla Contoy but the trip was cancelled at the last minute due to high wind so had had the day free. mrs DD wanted to go sunbathing so I took the oppunity to take some photos, go for a run and go Geocahing. I took the bus from the hotel and jumped off 6 ,lies down the road at the first geocache which is located a short distance off the roadside path. One of the local Police patrols must have seen me enter the woods as when I got back onto the path (after find the cache) I was greeted by an armed policeman. I nearly touched cloth!

After he was satisfied I wasn't frying to find/stash drugs I explained what Geocahing is and he drove me the 1.1 miles to the next cache in his Dodge Charger. I have never been so nervous in my life. To top it off he helped me find the next cache!

Today is certainly one I will not forget in a hurry.
2016 Mk7 Golf GTD - Reflex Silver with stuff.

VCDS Hex+Can - Will code for beer!

Offline rich83

• Thank You
  • -Given: 165
  • -Receive: 802
    • MK5 Golf GTI
  • My Ride: https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=fi4i96j019an6nohm25fdelk6m&/topic,19740.0.html
Re: Stopped at gunpoint by A Mexican Police Man
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2013, 12:39:56 am »
..... 2nd "look at me Im on holiday thread"

Cut us some slack ant...  :wink:

Offline Degudodger

• Thank You
    • Flickr
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2013, 12:47:18 am »
To be honest Rich it's not all that. Cancun is pretty much tailored towards the American "get pissed and party market" and offers very little else. If I am honest I would have chosen to go elsewhere but Mrs DD has wanted to see the Mayan Runs at Chitzen Itzan for a while and we stupidly thought it would be a relaxing brake. On the third night we had some American teenagers kick out one of the security bars on on the 8th floor window next to out room As they could "totally jump out and land in the sea"

Yes Cancun can be sunny but apart from the Mayan Ruins there isn't really a lot to do part from drinking which I don't mind but the novelty soon wares off.

« Last Edit: January 26, 2013, 12:54:39 am by Degudodger »

Offline Degudodger

• Thank You
    • Flickr
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2013, 01:19:10 am »
..... 2nd "look at me Im on holiday thread"

Cut us some slack ant...  :wink:

Sorry Rich that is certainly not how it was intended :)

Offline rich83

• Thank You
  • -Given: 165
  • -Receive: 802
    • MK5 Golf GTI
  • My Ride: https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=fi4i96j019an6nohm25fdelk6m&/topic,19740.0.html
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2013, 01:32:30 am »
I'm only pulling your leg mate.  :wink:

Offline Degudodger

• Thank You
    • Flickr
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2013, 01:35:40 am »
Thought so but just wanted to make sure.  :laugh:

Offline Veee-dubber

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 13
  • -Receive: 7
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2013, 08:38:33 am »
What is Geocaching? :)

Offline MC71

• Thank You
  • -Given: 413
  • -Receive: 427
  • Mk7 R
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,113185.0.html
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2013, 08:58:51 am »
I'd of had a bowel movement that's for sure!!  :scared:

Spent 20 odd years travelling back and forth to the Far East to visit my parents and only had a few "incidents" with local plod, never funny, always scary and often with me praying a cavity search will not be on the menu.

Try and enjoy the rest of your holiday mate, its a great place to be even if you are a crack dealer!  :signLOL:

Build thread Stage 2+ Edition 30 ~~Clicky here~~

Offline Deako

• Thank You
  • -Given: 38
  • -Receive: 44
  • Eat, Sleep....VAG
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2013, 11:31:55 am »
Wow. Geocaching sounds riveting.  :chicken:

Bet the armed police definitely caused a turtle head to poke out.

Offline QD MBE

• Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 102
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2013, 11:36:35 am »

Offline Jussa

• Thank You
  • -Given: 23
  • -Receive: 12
  • Bicester
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2013, 11:46:05 am »
So I'm currently in Cancun, Mexico and the weather has been pretty ropy here with rough sea and high winds. We were due to go snorkelling at Isla Contoy but the trip was cancelled at the last minute due to high wind so had had the day free. mrs DD wanted to go sunbathing so I took the oppunity to take some photos, go for a run and go Geocahing. I took the bus from the hotel and jumped off 6 ,lies down the road at the first geocache which is located a short distance off the roadside path. One of the local Police patrols must have seen me enter the woods as when I got back onto the path (after find the cache) I was greeted by an armed policeman. I nearly touched cloth!

After he was satisfied I wasn't frying to find/stash drugs I explained what Geocahing is and he drove me the 1.1 miles to the next cache in his Dodge Charger. I have never been so nervous in my life. To top it off he helped me find the next cache!

Today is certainly one I will not forget in a hurry.

Excuse my ignorance on this geocahing malarkey, but when you're in a foreign country who hides the treasure?   :confused:
2010 3dr phantom black S-Tronic S3 - BCS TBE with 3½" DP - LOBA LO4xx turbo - LOBA HPFP - Revo CAI - H&R 25mm lowering springs - Forge 11mm spacers - RS4 fuel Pressure valve - THS intercooler - H&R front and rear ARB's - AEM water methanol injection

Offline john a

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 11
  • -Receive: 11
    • The Veneers Cover Band
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2013, 12:11:42 pm »
Mrs DD has wanted to see the Mayan Runs at Chitzen Itzan

All the way to Cancun for that? You could have have the Runs and the Chitz (sic) from any branch of Maryland Chicken in the UK  :grin:

Offline Degudodger

• Thank You
    • Flickr
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2013, 12:30:40 pm »
Anyone can places cache. It doesn't have to contain anything just needs to meet certain criteria such as not containing food if placed in a national park. I use Geocaching for three things. Running or mountain biking as caches tend to be in a series over a number of miles. Visiting areas I wouldn't normally visit and photography. Geocaching is great when on holiday as it takes you off the beaten track. When I was last in Canada I was chased by a bear cub.!

There are several types of caches, virtuals are when it is not physically possible to place a cache because of restrictions imposed by the landowner or climate. You just need to demonstrate you have found the given coordinates.

Virtual cache on top of Sulphur Mountain, Banff Canada.

Photo taken after finding Small cache found half way up a waterfall

Sounds nerdy I know but on the physical activity front it has helped me shift 3 stone I put on since I stopped smoking and helps me maintain an interest in Photography.

There is something like 2m active caches globally and 5m active geocachers so it's not just me being a nerd  :grin:

Offline Squeeguk

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 20
  • -Receive: 28
    • Avante Auto - Still under construction
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2013, 04:41:35 pm »
That is why when we went to Mexico a couple of years back, we stayed away from Cancun. You far better off going an hour south to Playacar, etc. We will be back there again later this year if all goes to plan. Go across to Isla de Cozumel. Hire a jeep and spend the day driving around the island. It's very relaxing with some beautiful spots.

As for gunpoint, be thankful it was a policeman! How about a loaded gun pointed at your temple and then held there the whole time while you driving to where the moron wanted to go, not knowing what was going to happen and if you were going to live or not. Now that is scary as............ :scared:

Avante Auto - For all your Auto Electronics and Car Audio needs including retrofits down South
PM me or call 0845 116 8870 for advice or pricing. Special Discount for Forum members