Make a donation

Author Topic: B6 S4 Boot too small, so what about......Opinions gratefully received  (Read 3945 times)

Offline Mk5 GTian

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 62
  • -Receive: 37
  • Wolfsburg - Probably the Best Cars in the World
Re: B6 S4 Boot too small, so what about......Opinions gratefully received
« Reply #30 on: January 28, 2013, 04:50:49 pm »
I think if you are using any vehicle for work and work for yourself in the current climate you do have to think 'what impression of me does this give' and look what our base criteria is which by the sounds of it is 4wd and a decent amount of space, I am very conscious of this for consultancy work I undertake these days and low running, fuel and maintenance costs are key for me.

I agree, it's nice to turn up to a client's house in something decent. When I turn up in the Golf, the husband usually get's quite excited and it gets some good banter going (most of my clients were 80's yuppies at some point, and usually owned a mk1 or Mk2 GTi or both). A tidy Audi Allroad looking completely standard has got to be better than turning up in a Transit Connect, hasn't it?

Fun Golf: 2016 mk7 R DSG 3 door. Work Golf: 2015 mk7 1.4 TSI GT ACT 5 door.
Gone but not forgotten : mk2 Golf GTI 16v, mk4 Golf V6 4Motion, mk5 GTI Storm Developments Stage 1, mk5 GTI Revo Stage 1, BMW 330ci, Skoda Octavia VRS Revo Stage 2, BMW Z4 Sdrive35i.

Offline Mk5 GTian

• Thank You
« Reply #31 on: January 28, 2013, 04:56:21 pm »

It's also worth noting that all the farmers around here have Subarus, there's some pretty battered and old examples around, so they must hold up well.

....Same here in West Dorset/East Devon/South Somerset but I don't think Ian wants something quite so 'agricultural'.

I think they're quite a classless car actually. Around the towns and villages near Hindhead (Churt, Frensham, Farnham etc)  the farmers love them as well, but so do yummy mummies (my GF is case in point) doctors, retired dog owners, solicitors etc. They are similar to the Golf in that respect in my opinion.

Gone but not forgotten : mk2 Golf GTI 16v, mk4 Golf V6 4Motion, mk5 GTI Storm Developments Stage 1, mk5 GTI Revo Stage 1, BMW 330ci, Skoda Octavia VRS Revo Stage 2, BMW Z4 Sdrive35i.

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 380
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #32 on: January 28, 2013, 05:13:13 pm »

I think if you are using any vehicle for work and work for yourself in the current climate you do have to think 'what impression of me does this give' and look what our base criteria is which by the sounds of it is 4wd and a decent amount of space, I am very conscious of this for consultancy work I undertake these days and low running, fuel and maintenance costs are key for me.

I agree, it's nice to turn up to a client's house in something decent. When I turn up in the Golf, the husband usually get's quite excited and it gets some good banter going (most of my clients were 80's yuppies at some point, and usually owned a mk1 or Mk2 GTi or both). A tidy Audi Allroad looking completely standard has got to be better than turning up in a Transit Connect, hasn't it?

....It depends what business/profession you are in.

The same applies to what you turn up to a new potential client wearing. Creatives don't usually turn up in suits for example.

I once turned up at Grosvenor House (Park Lane, London, in case you don't know!) for a meeting at 9:00am Monday morning to present design proposals to the board of directors of Trusthouse Forte (I had been introduced by Lord Charles Spencer Churchill) - I was on a bicycle and it was wet and I had on high-viz wet wetwear. It was a competitive pitch and I won the job which then entailed a world trip art directing photography and designing and printing a brochure for Rocco to impress The Savoy shareholders.

On another occasion I was invited to The Duchess of York's (aka Fergie) parents house near Basingstoke to present myself for a project. At the time I was running a very beat-up Talbot which I never bothered to wash and which had a big bumper sticker. I parked it out of sight outside the high wall surrounding the circular drive at the house's entrance door. When the Major walked me to the door after our meeting he couldn't see a car and so asked me how on earth I had arrived. I explained that my car was beyond the wall and to my initial horror he out of courtesy walked me to my car! I tell you, it means diddly-squat. If it does mean something to a client, then are they the sort of people you want to work for?

So, my advice is to hell with what you think the conventions are - Just be yourself and not what you think people want you to be. In my not inconsiderable experience, clients will respect you for it and also remember you.

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline Mk5 GTian

• Thank You
« Reply #33 on: January 28, 2013, 05:35:53 pm »
/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\

Agreed, but my main reason for changing is to get a vehicle which can cope with the winter, get me to places where the Tranny lets me down when it snows, but is also fun to drive, manual and petrol. It's bloomin' difficult to find one that fit's the bill for no more than 7k!!