Make a donation

Author Topic: My MkV GTI (Pic Heavy!)  (Read 7897 times)

Offline jonnym

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 40
  • -Receive: 22
Re: My MkV GTI (Pic Heavy!)
« Reply #15 on: November 28, 2012, 06:36:19 pm »
Very smart Conor! Lovely motor.
@PSW - "Candy white ones are the nicest and fastest"

Offline scopes

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 131
  • -Receive: 115
  • Wolfsburg Edition
    • My GTI
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,49748.0.html
« Reply #16 on: November 28, 2012, 11:17:45 pm »
Hey Conor

Nice car matey, as i have said before great choice in wheels... Keep up the goodwork  :happy2:

Whats your plans with it?
If it's not broke, Mod it.....

Silver is the way !

Offline Conor

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2013, 09:04:55 pm »
Right, so had a very productive weekend. Went down to Robins on Saturday morning and got stuck in. the plan for the day was to service the car, fix an electrical fault, get the coilovers in, get the THS engine mounts in and do a trial fit of the Speedlines. Thankfully all went well with no real hiccups worth mentioning!

Coils in :

Mounts :

Cow-sucker-inner cleaned up and re-oiled :

Adapters :

And the trial fit :

Adapters went straight on, nice tight fit on the drive splines as well as the wheel and hub centre bores. Luckily enough 18.5mm is pretty much spot on for the adpater too, so i'm in the very unexpected position where I don't really have to revise the adapter at all, barring speccing a different thickness for the rears. Was well pleased with how they looked on the car as well, I was struggling to properly picture them in my head, but it's all a bit more real now that i've seen them on.

Went for a healthy burn then afterwards to try out the new coils. We set them around the middle damping setting, and I was very, very immpressed by them. The comfort was excellent, and even on a very wet night like Saturday night, the car felt really sure footed. They were a clear step above the XYZs in pretty much every respect, particularly comfort.

The engine mounts were a little underwhelming in their effect, it was only when i was really thrashing that they became noticeable - there's a lot less drama between gears at high RPM, the car doesn't hunt as much and leaves going up through the gears a lot less jerky. Putting the foot down at low RPM in a low gear was also a lot smoother, and i noticed a fair reduction in wheel spin/engine hop when boost kicked in (Yo). The expected extra vibration at idle was pretty minimal too.

So all in all a pretty good day! Have a package on the way at the minute too that i'll update the thread with when it lands.

Offline JoeDarKa

• Thank You
  • -Given: 57
  • -Receive: 73
« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2013, 09:48:58 pm »
How have i missed this car?! Looks great! Did you have any rubbing issues with the ET25 and ET30? Iv seen some 8.5j ET33 wheels i like but not sure if i will have problems  :happy2:

GT Sport - Reflex Silver 2.0 TDI My Build

Offline Conor

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2013, 10:08:41 pm »
How have i missed this car?! Looks great! Did you have any rubbing issues with the ET25 and ET30? Iv seen some 8.5j ET33 wheels i like but not sure if i will have problems  :happy2:

Thanks very much mate!

I would think that fitment would be a really nice flush fitment, but your lowness and tyre size will probably count for a lot. Fat tyres and lowered might cause issues. Personally I'd run a 215 or 225 40 for a nice flush tyre fitting with the wheel without any stretch!

Offline Jaywoo-GTI

• Thank You
  • -Given: 38
  • -Receive: 34
« Reply #20 on: January 29, 2013, 09:03:54 am »
Adapter looks like a awesome piece of engineering and cant wait to see all the wheels on once everything else is done.