Make a donation

Author Topic: Swapping out ash trays with something useful?  (Read 1252 times)

Offline davla

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
Swapping out ash trays with something useful?
« on: January 27, 2013, 11:11:05 pm »
So my car comes with an ash tray and cigarette holder in the front and one in the back for the kids? Completely useless items. So is there something I can swap them out with? Cheers.

Offline chrisr763

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 62
    • Email
Re: Swapping out ash trays with something useful?
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2013, 10:30:48 am »
So my car comes with an ash tray and cigarette holder in the front and one in the back for the kids? Completely useless items. So is there something I can swap them out with? Cheers.

The front can be swapped out for a tray or a tray with lid. Unfortunatly I have not seen a tray without a cig lighter before. So the front one will always be there, besides you can plug Sat Navs / phone chargers into them. The back one again... Buy a cover if it doesnt have one? Use it to charge things?

Not very helpful but there isnt much you can do IMO  :sad1:

Offline Kalpsn2000

• Thank You
  • -Given: 10
  • -Receive: 56
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2013, 01:31:45 pm »

The front can be swapped out for a tray or a tray with lid. Unfortunatly I have not seen a tray without a cig lighter before. So the front one will always be there, besides you can plug Sat Navs / phone chargers into them. The back one again... Buy a cover if it doesnt have one? Use it to charge things?

Not very helpful but there isnt much you can do IMO  :sad1:

Yes this the main reason why they are there now-a-days.
Diamond Black 2007 (56) Golf GTI 3Dr DSG ¦ 18" Monza II's ¦ Cruise control ¦ MFSW ¦ Highline ¦ Rear parking sensors ¦ PDT Stage 1 ¦ Forge Twintake ¦ H&R Sport Springs ¦ NQSBBK ¦ R32 Rear bumper ¦ BCS Powervalve Sports R32 style TBE ¦ Valeo LED Rear Lights ¦ Xenon lights with HID kit ¦ DNX521DAB ¦ 12mm Spacers all round ¦

Offline davla

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2013, 02:32:25 pm »
Cheers for the replies. I managed to pull the chrome cigarette holders out of the ashtrays, so now they're more like handy cubby holes. I agree the 12v supply always come in handy, so I'll just ditch the ciggy lighter and put it a socket cover.  :happy2:

Offline trs888

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 17
  • -Receive: 20
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2013, 06:45:43 pm »
Cheers for the replies. I managed to pull the chrome cigarette holders out of the ashtrays, so now they're more like handy cubby holes. I agree the 12v supply always come in handy, so I'll just ditch the ciggy lighter and put it a socket cover.  :happy2:

can you just get the socket cover? if so thats what ill do too! good thinking batman!

let me know if you can!

Offline brookesb32

• Thank You
  • -Given: 59
  • -Receive: 75
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2013, 09:02:02 pm »

can you just get the socket cover? if so thats what ill do too! good thinking batman!

let me know if you can!

Any socket cover will do - had ones on my Focus
VCDS cable HEX-USB+CAN. New but can do the basics including coding

Offline Meallbhan

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 1
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2013, 04:56:12 pm »
I have a Parrot CK3100 Bluetooth phone kit, with a little jiggery pokery I managed to hide the control panel neatly in the front ashtray.  I can close the ashtray lid, and no one knows there's a kit fitted to the car.  Nice and stealthy.  :happy2:

Offline davla

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2013, 05:02:49 pm »
I did that on my TT. Was the Parrot kit easy to fit? I had one in a Ford Puma and it was plug and play but a right pain to fi in th TT.

Offline Meallbhan

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 1
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2013, 05:11:19 pm »
It was a bit of a fiddle as the stereo and heater control panel etc had to all come out.  Once I got that all removed it was just a case of plugging in the wiring harness I had to buy for the car, hide all the components and refit the stereo etc.  It was too bad really in the end.