Make a donation

Author Topic: Why is everybody selling up there cars????  (Read 10365 times)

Offline Veee-dubber

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 13
  • -Receive: 7
    • Email
Re: Why is everybody selling up there cars????
« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2013, 07:37:26 pm »
Interestingly I took my friend to buy a new car today (Leon FR) & whilst there I chucked out the old 'out of interest how much would you give me for my golf' question as I usually do with my cars just to see...

Anyway, The garage offered me £400 more than what I paid for my car privately 6 months ago, he was amazed when I told him how much I paid..

I'm guessing I got a bargain at the time as supply and demand surely cannot account for that rise in price!?!

Offline Hurdy

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 52
  • -Receive: 137
« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2013, 12:58:41 am »

I'm converting everyone to the lure of the MKVI Golf R! :evilgrin:

Muahahahahaaaa :laugh:

....Hi John!

The thought actually did cross my mind! A modded Golf R is a huge temptation for many. Even I wouldn't say no.  :happy2:

Ive had the APR Golf R for the last few weeks, and honestly it make you want to go and buy a Golf R or S3 and Stage 3 tune it.  Fantastic car, but fook me its bad on fuel.  70mph cruise for 460miles = 24mpg, driven gently around town 21mpg.  I suppose having 450Hp at your disposal comes at this expense.  I found in the Fabia, because i know it can be really frugal when driven gently, that i drove it gently alot of the time, with the R, because its just crap on fuel regardless of how its driven, i just drove it how I wanted lol.

Sooooo want one though. :party:
You are sooo right Sy. :laugh:
I doubt anyone changing from a K04 car would notice much difference in fuel consumption. I get a little more than the APR R on my R on the motorway and about the same around town. I do drive it like I stole it most of the time though. :signLOL:
Golf R gone.

Offline dan1985

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 11
    • Durham Collective
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2013, 05:51:44 am »
I'm genuinely bored with mine and have not been feeling it for over a year now after crap workmanship on it by so called professionals.

Decided to start fresh with a new car which should be getting built this week. :)

www.durhamcollective.co.uk  
North East VAG Owners Club

Offline Tamiyoman

• Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 39
  • Prev car - Candy DSG ED30 No. 2235
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: January 30, 2013, 10:44:00 am »
I think it is because of one of several reasons.............

- Someone has got you by the short-n-curlies and wants to either build a nest with you.

NO CHANCE OF THAT HAPPENING, STAYING SINGLE AND FREE TO DO WHAT I WANT..  :happy2:

- You can no longer realistically afford the fuel costs. There's no shame in that - It's just a great shame if it happens.

THIS WAS PART OF THE REASON FOR MY CHANGE, HAVING MOVED FROM THE FLATLANDS OF NORFOLK WHERE I WAS DOING ABOUT 50 MILES PER WEEK AND GETTING AROUND 32MPG AVERAGE THEN MOVED TO CORNWALL WHERE I AM DOING ABOUT 250 MILES PER WEEK AND AVERAGING 24-25MPG ON THE HILLY/WINDY B ROADS, THAT DOES NOT INCLUDE THE 6 WEEKLY COMMUTE BACK TO MANCHESTER TO SEE FAMILY/FRIENDS.

- You like to change your car every 3 years anyway.

I DO LIKE TO CHANGE EVERY 3 YEARS BUT DECIDED AFTER 15 MONTHS (FOR ABOVE REASONS) THAT IT WAS TIME FOR A CHANGE.

- You are consumed with desire for a particular car which you can just about afford to buy when you sell yours and if you sell it now.

NEEDED SOMETHING MORE ECONOMICAL (FOR THE HILLY B ROADS AND MAINLY FOR THE 780 MILE ROUND TRIP TO MANCHESTER AND BACK) AND WITH A BIGGER BOOT TO CART AROUND MY GOLF GEAR AND SNOWBOARDING GEAR TO THE ALPS TWICE A YEAR (MY MATE RECENTLY GOT A COMPANY VAN RATHER THAN CAR AND WE USED TO GO IN HIS COMPANY CAR, SO ANOTHER REASON FOR THE CHANGE), also Car insurance reduces from £57 per month to £26 per month and car tax down from £250 to £100.

- You never loved your car anyway. Unlikely if it's a GTI.

DEFINATELY LOVED MY CAR, WAS SAD TO SEE IT GO..  :sad1:

ALSO REALISED THAT BY SELLING NOW (RATHER THAN SAY IN ANOTHER 18 MONTHS) I COULD ACTUALLY GET MORE FOR MY CAR THAN I PAID FOR IT 15 MONTHS AGO (WHICH WAS THE CASE, I GOT £850 MORE THAN I PAID FOR IT IN OCTOBER 2011).

ALL THE ABOVE REASONS WERE THE DECIDING FACTOR IN MY MOVING ON THE ED30.

Will I miss the car, yes!, most definately for those "Spirited" drives, but not for the pootle to golf club and back.

Currently waiting for my accountant to break the news of my Tax bill (Should hear today), then I know how much I have to spend on a new car (and it would not be practical going to Alps in the Eddie as finding 98/99 RON in mainland is tough as most of it is 97 max, 95 mostly) plus it would not have carted all our gear comfortably.

Head says BMW 320D M Sport Touring 184bhp (on a 10 or 60 plate), heart says BMW 535D M Sport 286bhp (58 plate) 345bhp and 511lb/ft with a remap  :drool:

Decisions Decisions................................................

P.S. spologies for CAPS lock, only realised when halfway through.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2013, 11:41:47 am by Tamiyoman »
MK7 Golf R, Pure White 3Dr DSG, Had since 10/06/14

Offline garrardrj

• Thank You
  • -Given: 76
  • -Receive: 42
  • EX 2007 Golf Edition 30 owner in Suffolk
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: January 30, 2013, 11:05:58 am »
Well not enough people are selling them in East Anglia as i cannot find a decent one locally !

I would always want to look at a car a couple of times to make sure it was right and drive it a couple of times too , so travelling to Scotland (where alot of cars have been lately) has never been an option . Cars are always cheaper in Scotland too . Used to have a Friend who had two Car Transporters and used to buy cars at auction up north and takke they directly to auction locations in and around the South East . He made so much money he is living on a yacht in the Caribbean now and not working aged 53 !
2015 Golf R White 5 Door Leather DCC Dynaudio Pretorias
2009 Land Rover Freelander HSE - Workhorse
2007 Mk 5 Golf GTI Edition 30 - SOLD

Offline tony_danza

• Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 112
  • The voice of objective reason, but mine's best.
« Reply #20 on: January 30, 2013, 11:30:46 am »
Cars in Wales are stupidly cheaper than elsewhere at the moment. Odd eh?

Sideways yo!

Offline Tamiyoman

• Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: January 30, 2013, 11:34:56 am »
Well not enough people are selling them in East Anglia as i cannot find a decent one locally !

I would always want to look at a car a couple of times to make sure it was right and drive it a couple of times too , so travelling to Scotland (where alot of cars have been lately) has never been an option . Cars are always cheaper in Scotland too . Used to have a Friend who had two Car Transporters and used to buy cars at auction up north and takke they directly to auction locations in and around the South East . He made so much money he is living on a yacht in the Caribbean now and not working aged 53 !

The guy that bought my Eddie did not even drive it before buying it, he spent 5-10 mins looking round it then I took him for a 15 mile drive (Dual carriageway, A road and B Road), then he made his offer on the drive back to my house, I countered his offer and we agreed a price we were both happy with all in 30 seconds, was possibly the easiest deal I ever did).

Regional prices are down to the Populace and average wage I suspect, had a mate doing similar, buying from scotland at auction/trade and selling in midlands, usually made £2000-2500 on each car and selling via Ebay lol, bringing back 6 cars each time.

The guy that bought my Eddie came to St Ives Cornwall from London (5.5hr drive) and my last car which I sold in Norfolk the buyer came from Isle Of Wight  :signLOL:
« Last Edit: January 30, 2013, 11:39:06 am by Tamiyoman »

Offline swgti

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 28
  • -Receive: 6
  • GTI owners are born not manufactured!
« Reply #22 on: January 30, 2013, 11:38:33 am »
Funny this thread has just appeared, I was thinking about moving on from mine this week. Wont be planning on doing anything until around Nov/Dec as the loan agreement allows me to hand the car back then. It is by far and away the best car I've ever owned but there's a number of reasons I'm considering it -

The car is 8yrs old this year and is worth considerably less that is left on the finance.
I paid top whack for it in Apr 2011 so my finance payment is quite high, it's a costly second car at the moment.
It will be approaching 90k come Nov/Dec.
It's a 3dr and we have a 10mnth old now.
I also do a lot more running around than when I got it so an oil burner is looking like a more sensible option again, cheaper mpg, tax and insurance.
No matter what the car I always start to get itchy feet about two years into owning a car.

Saying this, I'm looking at getting my Monza's re-furbed in the next couple of months so no doubt I will fall in love with it all over again then.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2013, 11:41:32 am by swgti »
Laser Blue 3dr No 209683, Leather, Monza II's and a few other goodies...........GONE but not forgotten......now in an A4 S-Line Avant 170tdi......god I miss the Gti.

Offline stealthwolf

• Thank You
  • -Given: 306
  • -Receive: 291
  • ED30 No.1412
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: January 30, 2013, 11:45:56 am »
There was a similar rush of sales a few years back when people were coming to the end of their three-year warranty period. It is really disheartening when some of the well-known regulars leave and move on.

As long as I have a job and petrol prices don't hit £2/l, I'll still keep the ED30. It may get relegated to "weekend toy" or similar in the future but I do love it over the MK6 and the looks of the MK7.

The GTI isn't just a machine. It's very much a living, breathing thing.

Offline garrardrj

• Thank You
  • -Given: 76
  • -Receive: 42
  • EX 2007 Golf Edition 30 owner in Suffolk
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: January 30, 2013, 11:51:18 am »
There was a similar rush of sales a few years back when people were coming to the end of their three-year warranty period. It is really disheartening when some of the well-known regulars leave and move on.

As long as I have a job and petrol prices don't hit £2/l, I'll still keep the ED30. It may get relegated to "weekend toy" or similar in the future but I do love it over the MK6 and the looks of the MK7.

Same as you - My ED30 doesn't get used very often at all . Every time i get in it and drive it i wonder why i keep having thoughts of selling it . I have money burning a hole in my pocket and cannot see why i would but a Golf R instead of it (About £12-15k extra) .Might do it when there is less of a difference (Will this ever occur?) Think i'll keep the £15k and spend all the interest on a slap up meal at Burger King ! Just  :rolleye:
2015 Golf R White 5 Door Leather DCC Dynaudio Pretorias
2009 Land Rover Freelander HSE - Workhorse
2007 Mk 5 Golf GTI Edition 30 - SOLD

Offline Powervalve Nige

• Trader - 2014
  • Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 84
  • -Receive: 76
  • Don't get angry, get a beter argument
    • POWERVALVE
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: January 30, 2013, 12:14:56 pm »
Sold my Black Gti to make room for a Golf R  :party:

Offline skard

• Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 245
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,62636
« Reply #26 on: January 30, 2013, 12:26:32 pm »
I'll only have my ED30 a year or so, wonderful all-rounders but my needs will change, so I'll be looking at S3 Sportbacks or maybe a 5dr Golf R. I'll be making a big loss on it, both what I've paid and had to/wanted to spend on it since.

The other reason being the mk5 is getting on, when you compare the dash to the recent offerings by many brands, including VW, she's unfortunately looking a bit older.

Cars are cheaper the further north they are because people don't want to travel for them.
I have a few mates that work for car transporter firms and they are based in Central Scotland, taking cars south mainly.
Used to have Edition 30 - number 009 and a GT TDI 140.
Now have an S4 B8 Avant (stage 2)

Offline GrayMK5GTI

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 125
  • -Receive: 247
« Reply #27 on: January 30, 2013, 12:53:59 pm »
I swapped mine just before Christmas for the following reasons:

- Car needed a fair bit of work (Shocks all round, clutch & DMF, little bit of paintwork, misfire not related to plugs & coils)
- Car tax was becoming frustrating
- Fancied a change (small part of it as I loved my GTI)
- Parents moved 200 miles away so fuel was becoming a little expensive as visiting them every 4-5 weeks.
- MK5's heading ever closer towards the price that chav's can afford them (saw this happen on the Civic Type-R forum)  :sick:

I'm happy with my new purchase  :happy2:
NOW: 2015 Golf R DSG 5 Door, Lapiz Blue, 19s, Discover Nav, Reversing Camera
GONE:2007 Black GTI Edition 30 3dr

Offline rf860

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 12
  • -Receive: 4
« Reply #28 on: January 30, 2013, 12:54:26 pm »

Head says BMW 320D M Sport Touring 184bhp (on a 10 or 60 plate), heart says BMW 535D M Sport 286bhp (58 plate) 345bhp and 511lb/ft with a remap  :drool:

The 320d of that age will be the 177hp version. I've just traded in a 120d (same engine), make sure you get on with the way the engine performs. It revs very freely for a diesel and needs worked hard for decent progress - this is supposed to be for driver enjoyment but i found it extremely annoying, hence the change. Also, i think the performance figures are a bit optimistic, my 120d claimed 0-60 in 7.6 secs; i think it could probably do this however, mid-range shove is crap due to the nature of the free revving engine. If i wanted to overtake somebody on the motorway doing 70mph in 6th, i'd need to change to 5th for decent shove. Economy is also absolutely nowhere near the claimed 64mpg, expect 44-46mpg doing mostly motorway and b road driving.

Another thing to be wary of, but i wouldn't let it put you off buying a BMW 2.0 diesel, is that the timing chain can wear the tensioners and become rattly. If neglected, it can snap and you've got a huge bill for a new engine. This issue seems to be very big on the forums, but i don't know how bad it is in reality - we all know how forums can exaggerate problems.

The 535d is a great car, but don't expect economy to be great.

Offline Tamiyoman

• Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: January 30, 2013, 01:35:36 pm »

The 320d of that age will be the 177hp version. I've just traded in a 120d (same engine), make sure you get on with the way the engine performs. It revs very freely for a diesel and needs worked hard for decent progress - this is supposed to be for driver enjoyment but i found it extremely annoying, hence the change. Also, i think the performance figures are a bit optimistic, my 120d claimed 0-60 in 7.6 secs; i think it could probably do this however, mid-range shove is crap due to the nature of the free revving engine. If i wanted to overtake somebody on the motorway doing 70mph in 6th, i'd need to change to 5th for decent shove. Economy is also absolutely nowhere near the claimed 64mpg, expect 44-46mpg doing mostly motorway and b road driving.

Another thing to be wary of, but i wouldn't let it put you off buying a BMW 2.0 diesel, is that the timing chain can wear the tensioners and become rattly. If neglected, it can snap and you've got a huge bill for a new engine. This issue seems to be very big on the forums, but i don't know how bad it is in reality - we all know how forums can exaggerate problems.

The 535d is a great car, but don't expect economy to be great.

The 2.0 BMW Derv engine changed over in 2010 to the leaner more powerful 184 version (More power 7bhp, 22lb/ft torque increase, 0-60 down by 0.4sec and top speed increased by 2mph and 1-2mpg increase in economy to 58.9mpg combined) along with flush roof rails and a few other minor changes, reports seem to say they achieve 84% (Average) of claimed economy figures (approx 49mpg at 84% claimed) so still a hell of an increase comparted to 24-29mpg  :grin:

Yes the 535D will be more for satisfying my need for a blast now and again but not soo hot on economy.....................Could always get the 320D remapped to 230bhp with 360lb/ft of torque  :happy2:, best of both worlds  :signLOL: :signLOL:

Cheers for the heads up on the timing chain issue, I am aware of several issues with them (As there is with any car) and will ensure these are checked/fixed prior to purchase.