Make a donation

Author Topic: Got Sachs clutch installed...  (Read 10349 times)

Peskarik

Got Sachs clutch installed...
« on: July 10, 2009, 11:44:16 pm »
Got the Sachs clutch kit installed today (disk with organic material and cover plate).
Now I can finally  :driver: the Golf like it was ment to be driven, which is pedal to the metal and off you go.  :evilgrin:

I stalled the car twice before I could move away, though.  :embarrassed:
The pedal travel is much shorter now, and the pedal is also much heavier compared to how it was from factory. Now when I try to let the clutch off to move away in first, the car shudders and I hear rubbing noise, disk rubbing against flywheel.  :confused: It is very hard to modulate clutch in 1st and even in second, if I want to move off slowly. When I went to dinner with my girlfriend tonight, I did not take the car, as I knew, in city traffic, uphill, I would stall it again.  :confused: It is hard to ride the clutch in 1st now, the clutch is so aggressive.  :scared:

Those of you guys with manual Ed30s who changed to Sachs, did you have the same feeling in the beginning? I haven't been in a heavy-clutch-pedal car for 10 years now, since I learned how to drive in AlfaRomeo 164.

Can't even imagine how difficult it is to set off with sintered plate, which is even more agressive, not to mention lightened flywheel.  :scared:

Yeah...

ANyway, next "mod" is RNS510, which I have now in a box in my living room. After RNS I do engine mounts, then Alleggeritas. Maybe eventually I'll have LSD as well...

But, damn, that clutch is so heavy and short now  :confused:

Offline gazbutS3

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 52
  • -Receive: 55
    • Email
Re: Got Sachs clutch installed...
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2009, 10:07:46 am »
it will bed-in and become easier to use, it does take a few miles though, I ran this set-up on my early S3 :happy2:

Offline yin

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 77
  • -Receive: 18
  • Seat Leon Cupra Tfsi Its nearly a Golf
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2009, 10:30:50 am »

Also running this now on a Cupra it took about 1k to settle down and get used to it

Peskarik

« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2009, 01:36:58 pm »
OK, so I'll wait till it beds in.
I like the heavy pedal actually. Makes everything more sporty.
What is hard is riding the clutch in 1st in traffic jams, when I release it gradually I hear the "crunching" noise, like sandpaper against metal, I guess that is the disk rubbing against the flywheel. And the car shudders, but I resist applying more gas, as it lunges forward like crazy.

Today tested in on highway for the first time. Went up to 180kmh. Man, that car is awesome!  :jumping: Acceleration is incredible (but I've never been in any other car that powerful, so I cannot compare).

Next real mod - VF engine mounts.  :driver:

Offline Tfsi_Mike

• Thank You
  • -Given: 241
  • -Receive: 309
  • Go Large or Go Home
    • Tfsi Mikes Money Pit AKS / TTE / RTech St2+ Cupra
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,32721.msg402587.html#msg402587
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2009, 02:21:52 pm »
This is my next propper mod.  Uprated clutch kit from VWR. Pricey but gunna surely start slippin soon!
« Last Edit: July 11, 2009, 02:23:45 pm by Tfsi_Mike »

Peskarik

« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2009, 07:00:05 pm »
This is my next propper mod.  Uprated clutch kit from VWR. Pricey but gunna surely start slippin soon!

A worthwhile upgrade. Makes everything much more sportier, and no slip to worry about!  :jumpmove:

Offline Tfsi_Mike

• Thank You
  • Go Large or Go Home
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,32721.msg402587.html#msg402587
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2009, 08:20:31 pm »
This is my next propper mod.  Uprated clutch kit from VWR. Pricey but gunna surely start slippin soon!

A worthwhile upgrade. Makes everything much more sportier, and no slip to worry about!  :jumpmove:

Cant wait just expensive! :'(

Offline luca

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 1
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2009, 05:12:54 pm »
My sachs clutch isnt any heavier than stock, get a little rubbing noise when cold but after driving for a bit it goes away. Clutch was bedded in by about 1k and has been fine ever since :happy2:

Tornado red ED30, Revo stage 2, ITG Panel filter, 3" Blueflame turbo back exhaust, leon cupra front brakes, ecs dogbone mount, WALK kit, Eibach sportlines, Satin black Monza II's, VWR/sachs paddle clutch

Offline Tfsi_Mike

• Thank You
  • Go Large or Go Home
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2009, 05:21:30 pm »

Also running this now on a Cupra it took about 1k to settle down and get used to it

What sort of power/torquue are you running? I dont think mine's slipping (yet) and i frequently drive hard with apr stage 2+ , although from what ive read it isnt as aggressive as the Revo cars I thought my std clutch would crap its self (done about 6k miles on stage2+)

Offline yin

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2009, 07:20:06 pm »

What sort of power/torquue are you running? I dont think mine's slipping (yet) and i frequently drive hard with apr stage 2+ , although from what ive read it isnt as aggressive as the Revo cars I thought my std clutch would crap its self (done about 6k miles on stage2+)

Very similar set up to yourself Apr 2+ also mine lasted about 2k after i had pump fitted and my flywheel was shaged also cost is about £600 for clutch and cover fitted then about £270 if you need a flywheel

Offline Tfsi_Mike

• Thank You
  • Go Large or Go Home
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2009, 07:28:35 pm »

Very similar set up to yourself Apr 2+ also mine lasted about 2k after i had pump fitted and my flywheel was shaged also cost is about £600 for clutch and cover fitted then about £270 if you need a flywheel

Yeah lookin at 600 for clutch and cover from VWR.  said i shouldnt need a flywheel but cant help thinkin im going to!  It 'rattles' and vibrates at low speed now like setting off but thats just a trait of the dual mass flywheel isnt it?

How do you drive??

Offline yin

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2009, 07:43:17 pm »
"Yeah lookin at 600 for clutch and cover from VWR.  said i shouldnt need a flywheel but cant help thinkin im going to!  It 'rattles' and vibrates at low speed now like setting off but thats just a trait of the dual mass flywheel isnt it?

How do you drive??"

Mine never rattled even when it wanted changing and the car gets driven like its supposed to  :driver:
« Last Edit: July 12, 2009, 08:13:49 pm by yin »

Offline Tfsi_Mike

• Thank You
  • Go Large or Go Home
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2009, 08:08:56 pm »
Yeah lookin at 600 for clutch and cover from VWR.  said i shouldnt need a flywheel but cant help thinkin im going to!  It 'rattles' and vibrates at low speed now like setting off but thats just a trait of the dual mass flywheel isnt it?

How do you drive??

Mine never rattled even when it wanted changing and the car gets driven like its supposed to  :driver:

:( oh dear, maybe something to be concerned about then :(
« Last Edit: July 12, 2009, 08:19:27 pm by Tfsi_Mike »

Offline Decked

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 0
« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2009, 12:59:16 pm »
How does your clutch feel now?  Not sure if I should go with the Sachs or Southbend....  Thanks
Meteor S3, REVO Stage 2+, APR HPFP, Milltek TBE, Bilstein PSS10's, EVOM's CAI, Forge TB & DV, Pro-alloy IC & LOBA clutch

Offline john_o

• Thank You
  • -Given: 136
  • -Receive: 108
    • My Car Blog
« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2009, 01:32:19 pm »
@Perskarik : good to hear  :happy2: , dont forget a new clutch beds in so dont beat it too much early on

@all : anyone got part numbers to go with these items? Im sure sachs make more than one mk5 clutch  :innocent:

@tfsimike : wouldnt worry mine makes similar dodgy noises (albeit stg1 not 2+) and has so from new :confused:
Red ED35 5dr DSG
DEFI boost guage / RTech Stg1 Engine/DSG / PPMk7 front brakes
BLOG | BUILD