Make a donation

Author Topic: Vrs estates - any good ?  (Read 3374 times)

Offline Eccie

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 25
Re: Vrs estates - any good ?
« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2013, 10:33:44 pm »
It's a shame there's no VRS 4wd wagon.

Could you not get by with a good set of winter tyres on a VRS ?

Gone - Candy White MK5 Golf GTI (you never really forget your first true love...!)
MK7 Candy White GTI pp - you can never have enough eye candy

Offline Hedge

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 484
  • -Receive: 304
« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2013, 10:54:52 pm »
Oh yes.  :smiley:

Offline Mk5 GTian

• Thank You
  • -Given: 62
  • -Receive: 37
  • Wolfsburg - Probably the Best Cars in the World
« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2013, 09:26:26 pm »

Ian, do the rear seats fold dead flat in the back of a VRS wagon? If so, This could possibly be the way forward to my work vehicle dlilemmas if a quality set of winters will do the trick.

Fun Golf: 2016 mk7 R DSG 3 door. Work Golf: 2015 mk7 1.4 TSI GT ACT 5 door.
Gone but not forgotten : mk2 Golf GTI 16v, mk4 Golf V6 4Motion, mk5 GTI Storm Developments Stage 1, mk5 GTI Revo Stage 1, BMW 330ci, Skoda Octavia VRS Revo Stage 2, BMW Z4 Sdrive35i.

Offline rob_e

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 12
  • -Receive: 7
  • 2012 vRS Octavia
    • vRS blog on Pistonheads
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2013, 10:26:06 pm »

Ian, do the rear seats fold dead flat in the back of a VRS wagon? If so, This could possibly be the way forward to my work vehicle dlilemmas if a quality set of winters will do the trick.

Just dropping the rear seat backs doesn't give you a fully flat load area, but you can swivel the rear seat bases upwards/forward so it can will go completely flat if you need..  but you know what?  I've never ever needed to do this!  The load space on these is epic - over 600 litres with the rears in place, that's more than an A6 avant. 

I run mine on Goodyear UltraGrip Performance 2 Winter Tyres and its fantastic in the snow/slush/ cold weather but by far the best thing with these tyres is that it drives just like normal when you're on dry tarmac - you don't even know they're winters.

My old car (weitec coilovers, shark stage 1): http://www.pistonheads.com/members/showCar.asp?carId=115360

It's replacement is work in progress, five weeks old, back in with Alex for some more fiddling tomorrow:  http://www.pistonheads.com/members/showcar.asp?carId=191311

:happy2:

2012 TSI vRS: H&R monotubes, S3 arms, H&R rARB, Neuspeed RSe07, Brembos, MFSW and a few other tweaks..  PH Blog:  http://www.pistonheads.com/members/showcar.asp?carId=191311

Offline Mk5 GTian

• Thank You
« Reply #19 on: January 31, 2013, 10:45:23 pm »
/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\

Thanks Rob, that's great. I would need a fully flat load area with seats down in the back, as I am a decorator, and need more space than 600L. However, I usually only deliver my gear to a job at the start and then leave it all on site so I'll ony need to do this every two to 4 weeks anyway.

Is there any chance you could take a pic of your car with the seats done in such a way as to  have a flat load bay?

Gone but not forgotten : mk2 Golf GTI 16v, mk4 Golf V6 4Motion, mk5 GTI Storm Developments Stage 1, mk5 GTI Revo Stage 1, BMW 330ci, Skoda Octavia VRS Revo Stage 2, BMW Z4 Sdrive35i.

Offline rob_e

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • 2012 vRS Octavia
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: February 01, 2013, 02:37:33 pm »
Here you go:

Pulled up one of the rear seat bases and dropped the back down - as you can see the rear seat back goes completely flat..:

IMG-20130201-00459.jpg by lotus-gt, on Flickr

BUT... there is still a small height difference between the proper boot floor and the flattened rear seats:

IMG-20130201-00462.jpg by lotus-gt, on Flickr

close up:

IMG-20130201-00461.jpg by lotus-gt, on Flickr

If this won't work for you then there is an option of a "variable boot floor" that raises the height of the main boot so you store stuff underneath it without it being seen by prying eyes -  if you had that option or retro fitted then I think you'd have a fully flat floor.

Here's a pic I pulled off google images (shown with it "open" but you get the idea):

Or you could just make your own with a big sheet of ply and some 4x2  :happy2:
2012 TSI vRS: H&R monotubes, S3 arms, H&R rARB, Neuspeed RSe07, Brembos, MFSW and a few other tweaks..  PH Blog:  http://www.pistonheads.com/members/showcar.asp?carId=191311

Offline rob_e

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • 2012 vRS Octavia
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: February 01, 2013, 02:40:59 pm »
, as I am a decorator, and need more space than 600L.

Just checked, with the seats dropped the boot capacity is 1,655 litres.

:laugh:

Offline Mk5 GTian

• Thank You
« Reply #22 on: February 01, 2013, 05:40:53 pm »
, as I am a decorator, and need more space than 600L.

Just checked, with the seats dropped the boot capacity is 1,655 litres.

:laugh:

Brilliant thanks Rob! Much appreciated. I actually went into the Skoda garage in Hersham today and got them to do me a little demo. Now it's a case of working out if I'm prepared to sell my car to get into a 2010 model, or keep the Golf and get a 50K miler 07 pre-facelift.

Offline camfollower

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 10
  • -Receive: 31
  • Cam follower awareness.
« Reply #23 on: February 01, 2013, 05:45:03 pm »
I always think a VRS estate is a cop car. :scared:
Especially if you've got a dog crate in the back.  A very nice motor, there's a reason the Police choose them!

Offline Seany

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 1
  • VW-4-EVA
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: February 03, 2013, 06:30:16 pm »
A friend in work has one of these.

The seats are mint... the alloys are gorgeous... the lights even have VRS stamped inside the chrome trim.

Oh and it goes like Sh!t off a shinnnneeeyyy shovel   :laugh:
Mk5 Blue 2006 .:R32

RNS-510 'C'
Reverse Camera
VW Bluetooth with Voice Control, Genuine VW Red LED footwell lighting, ITG Filter, Cruise,
Folding Mirrors with Rev dip, Puddle Lighting, Auto Boot pop, LED interior & exterior lighting,
Valeo Led rear clusters

Oh and a 3.2 inside   :)