Make a donation

Author Topic: 3M Headlamp restoration Kit Results Ed30  (Read 9098 times)

Saintsteve

3M Headlamp restoration Kit Results Ed30
« on: January 31, 2013, 05:19:11 pm »
Well spent 4 hours this afternoon trailing out this kit. For only £8.33 instead of £20, it just had to be done.

My xenons were not in the best condition, even since I bought them off from QD (Forum member) many moons ago, he was good enough to install them, but wasn't too impressed with the lenses condition.Looking back I payed around £500 fitted.

This is the kit, and I know quiet a few people cottoned on to this deal when it was posted a couple days ago..

image by Saint steve, on Flickr

Well, here is a pic to give you an idea of the lense condition ..

Untitled by Saint steve, on Flickr

Very sorry looking close up, but thought bollocks to it, brought the kit and summoned some tools from the Van..

Weapon of choice  :signLOL:... Detailers might feel light headed with that tool  :grin:

So on we go..

Pretty scary when you put 800 grit to your headlights leaving quite a worrying mess behind..

Progressing pics

Next down to 500 grit.. Getting finer scratches

Then it was onto the supplied mopping pad with an addition of water to get it nearly scratch free.

I finished off using the compound that was enclosed in the kit, but I decided to use some Meguires Scratch X on the buffing pad and ended up with headlights that now look so much nicer.

Much better, car is filthy so will add a final pic later, but you get the idea. Well worth doing, look so much better, and total time spent was 4 Hours  :grin:

Don't rush it , take your time when you take this on, and don't panic even before you get to the Compound stage.

I used some Meguires ultimate Polish with my makeshift DA and was well chuffed with the results.

:drinking:

Offline MC71

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 413
  • -Receive: 427
  • Mk7 R
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,113185.0.html
Re: 3M Headlamp restoration Kit Results Ed30
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2013, 05:31:33 pm »
Blimey Steve.  :congrats: :notworthy:

Great results there. Bet you thought WTF am i doing half why through. So the only thing you added to the process was the final Megs Ultimate Polish?  Will know grow some gonads and do mine over the weekend!

:happy2:

Build thread Stage 2+ Edition 30 ~~Clicky here~~

Offline skard

• Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 245
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,62636
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2013, 05:33:51 pm »
Nice outcome.

I'll be trying it on the wife's car first...!
Used to have Edition 30 - number 009 and a GT TDI 140.
Now have an S4 B8 Avant (stage 2)

Saintsteve

« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2013, 05:51:06 pm »
Blimey Steve.  :congrats: :notworthy:

Great results there. Bet you thought WTF am i doing half why through. So the only thing you added to the process was the final Megs Ultimate Polish?  Will know grow some gonads and do mine over the weekend!

:happy2:

You are right  :signLOL:... you start with the 500 grit, your supplied 6 of these, so divided all the discs into 2.

Used 3 500's
Used 2 800's. .... Each side I mean, so all discs will get used.

1 spray bottle of water when you use the 3000 mopping disc

Even after that stage I could still see fine scratches and my arse starting making buttons  :signLOL:

But the final stage with the orange sponge pad with the supplied compound, got rid of 85% of all the scratches.

That's when I thought, I have some Meguires Scratch x, couple squirts onto same pad, and bobs your uncle.. All gone.

Then used the Meguires ultimate polish onto after to really make them gleam.

I was very chuffed, and after doing the 1st headlamp, the confidence was there to do the 2nd.

Don't be scared, use light to medium pressure with your choice of drill you have at your disposal. I would use one that has two battery's, so whilst ones on charge you use the other, so it doesn't stop you from doing the job without stopping.... Except tea breaks lol
« Last Edit: February 01, 2013, 05:09:32 pm by Saintsteve »

Saintsteve

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2013, 06:02:07 pm »
brought these of MarkyMark so the headlights will have Sunglasses on in a week or so  :signLOL:

image by Saint steve, on Flickr

Offline MC71

• Thank You
  • -Given: 413
  • -Receive: 427
  • Mk7 R
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,113185.0.html
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2013, 06:20:18 pm »
^^^^ like them a lot. Been trawling the interweb for them after I saw he was selling them. Will have to ask him where he got them.

And thanks for all the info too.  :happy2:

Build thread Stage 2+ Edition 30 ~~Clicky here~~

Offline Kalpsn2000

• Thank You
  • -Given: 10
  • -Receive: 56
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2013, 09:48:21 pm »
Brilliant result Steve :happy2:

I also bought a kit at that great price. As per Andrew I need to grow some cojones and do this at some point.
Diamond Black 2007 (56) Golf GTI 3Dr DSG ¦ 18" Monza II's ¦ Cruise control ¦ MFSW ¦ Highline ¦ Rear parking sensors ¦ PDT Stage 1 ¦ Forge Twintake ¦ H&R Sport Springs ¦ NQSBBK ¦ R32 Rear bumper ¦ BCS Powervalve Sports R32 style TBE ¦ Valeo LED Rear Lights ¦ Xenon lights with HID kit ¦ DNX521DAB ¦ 12mm Spacers all round ¦

Offline Greeners

• Thank You
  • -Given: 201
  • -Receive: 199
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2013, 11:30:01 pm »
Nice one Steve!  :congrats:

Offline Veee-dubber

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 13
  • -Receive: 7
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2013, 07:57:10 am »
Looks good mate,  :congrats:

Brings back memories of me trying this out on a CS182... didnt have the 3M kit and lets say... it didnt end well!  :sad1:

Offline stealthwolf

• Thank You
  • -Given: 306
  • -Receive: 291
  • ED30 No.1412
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2013, 12:43:01 pm »
I viewed this thread on my iPhone and couldn't see much difference. Much more noticeable on a large display. Looks far better. Any noticeable change on the road in terms of visibility?

The GTI isn't just a machine. It's very much a living, breathing thing.

Saintsteve

« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2013, 03:39:33 pm »
I viewed this thread on my iPhone and couldn't see much difference. Much more noticeable on a large display. Looks far better. Any noticeable change on the road in terms of visibility?

I noticed last night when my car was parked face onto a wall, whilst raining, I cold seen the rain drops sliding down the lights reflection clear as day against wall.

Yet to go for a night time drive yet, but I'm sure it will improve range and clarity of the light beam.

wife commented they looked more sharper and more defined when lit up this morning, certainly looks like I have new xenons fitted now rather then dated 5 + years old.

Worth buying this kit if your lights lenses are in poor condition. .. You can go wrong, easy step by step guide supplied with the kit, and everything you need,and don't need to buy the blue masking tape as it comes with that too.

My own personall recommendation is some scratch X and a good polish after as this isn't supplied.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2013, 03:41:41 pm by Saintsteve »

Saintsteve

« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2013, 03:44:54 pm »
Brilliant result Steve :happy2:

I also bought a kit at that great price. As per Andrew I need to grow some cojones and do this at some point.

It was very satisfying, seeing before and after, and felt I really achieved something yesterday

Offline Mandy

• Thank You
  • -Given: 95
  • -Receive: 94
  • Drink Russian, Wear Italian, Drive German :)
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2013, 04:28:28 pm »
Looks like you got some good results there Steve, I can see why it took you 4hrs now. :happy2:

How come you started with the 800 grit and then the 500 grit? Surely it should be the other way round? :confused:

Had a go on one of my headlights today and I must've done something wrong, its covered in scratches if you look closely and doesn't look even. The other untouched headlight looks much better. Knew I should've left it lol. :ashamed:
Driving: Tornado Red MK7 GTD, BMW 330e
Drove: Rising Blue Golf 6R, Reflex Silver Edition30 No.1684, Tornado Red Mk5 Golf GTI

Saintsteve

« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2013, 04:42:54 pm »
Looks like you got some good results there Steve, I can see why it took you 4hrs now. :happy2:

How come you started with the 800 grit and then the 500 grit? Surely it should be the other way round? :confused:

Had a go on one of my headlights today and I must've done something wrong, its covered in scratches if you look closely and doesn't look even. The other untouched headlight looks much better. Knew I should've left it lol. :ashamed:

I started with the Yellow discs, moved onto the white ones,so maybe my typo error as to which one I done.

Did you do yours with your Nail files Mandy??   :evilgrin:

What drill did you use?? Battery one or mains ?

Offline Mandy

• Thank You
  • -Given: 95
  • -Receive: 94
  • Drink Russian, Wear Italian, Drive German :)
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2013, 09:53:08 pm »

I started with the Yellow discs, moved onto the white ones,so maybe my typo error as to which one I done.

Did you do yours with your Nail files Mandy??   :evilgrin:

What drill did you use?? Battery one or mains ?

I bet I would've achieved better results with a nail file, stupid drills lol! I will have another battle with it tomorrow maybe.... :rolleye:
Driving: Tornado Red MK7 GTD, BMW 330e
Drove: Rising Blue Golf 6R, Reflex Silver Edition30 No.1684, Tornado Red Mk5 Golf GTI