Make a donation

Author Topic: Gear changes for economy  (Read 3232 times)

Offline rf860

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 12
  • -Receive: 4
Gear changes for economy
« on: February 01, 2013, 06:14:05 pm »
Firstly, i'm sorry if this has been asked a million times but i thought i would just share my experience of the last few days of driving my ed30. When changing gear, how are you guys maximizing mpg by changing at the correct revs?

So far generally, i've not been going over 2k revs and selecting the gears at the following speeds

1st - up to 10mph
2nd  after -10 up to 15 mph
3rd - after 15 up to 25 mph
4th - after 25 up to 35mph
5/6th - after 40mph

On my way home tonight consisting of some town roads with about 8 stops/starts, dual carriageway, motorway and b road not going about 60mph i averaged 37.0mpg exactly over 26 miles. I think this is pretty good tbh. Just trying to max out mpg for going to work so i can have some fun at the weekends without feeling guilty about it!

Offline camfollower

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 10
  • -Receive: 31
  • Cam follower awareness.
Re: Gear changes for economy
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2013, 08:04:21 pm »
Don't use 1st gear (within reason of course), coast in gear to junctions, be bored, anticipate slowing down to not have to accelerate as much, check fuel computer, think of a way of ending the boredom, keep your windows up above 35mph and A/C on (if required), less than 35mph windows down A/C off (if required)... finally pull to stop with 20MPG reading on the dash... and realize that you we're only day dreaming of being sensible and you've been hooning about in your wonderful MK5 Golf GTI. :driver: :laugh: :driver:

Some of the above constitutes a sensible answer. :happy2:

Offline rf860

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2013, 08:43:19 pm »
Don't use 1st gear (within reason of course), coast in gear to junctions, be bored, anticipate slowing down to not have to accelerate as much, check fuel computer, think of a way of ending the boredom, keep your windows up above 35mph and A/C on (if required), less than 35mph windows down A/C off (if required)... finally pull to stop with 20MPG reading on the dash... and realize that you we're only day dreaming of being sensible and you've been hooning about in your wonderful MK5 Golf GTI. :driver: :laugh: :driver:

Ha ha, sounds a like what i've been doing! What's the most somebody has ever got on here? I'll try and better it!

Offline scopes

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 131
  • -Receive: 115
  • Wolfsburg Edition
    • My GTI
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,49748.0.html
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2013, 08:50:06 pm »
I have seen 43 mpg, driving like miss daisy, funny enough i havent been able to get anywhere as close to that for ages now.....  :fighting2:

But does no harm to try now and again.

At the min im lucky to see over 30mpg  :driver:
If it's not broke, Mod it.....

Silver is the way !

Offline camfollower

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2013, 08:51:13 pm »

Ha ha, sounds a like what i've been doing! What's the most somebody has ever got on here? I'll try and better it!

I had 41.1MPG on a very boring mixed run of 70/50 straights (40miles) with some little blasts of 85mph overtake... with Stage 1 pre-cat delete (247bhp / 295lb.ft) K03 turb.

Offline MC71

• Thank You
  • -Given: 413
  • -Receive: 427
  • Mk7 R
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,113185.0.html
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2013, 09:01:08 pm »
Got 40 odd mpg once and also got 16 mpg once (maybe twice  :evilgrin:) but no one bought an Eddy for its economy! 

Seriously, I am averaging  27.8 mpg over the time I've owned my Stage 1 Eddy, so I sometimes get 6-8 mpg more, sometimes get 8-10 mpg less. Long motorway runs (with Cruise Control on) I usually get 32-34 mpg at around 70 ish mph.

Build thread Stage 2+ Edition 30 ~~Clicky here~~

Offline rf860

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2013, 09:04:53 pm »
Cheers guys. My BMW 120d averaged only 41mpg (actual) using moderate acceleration but in the ed30 it's comparable to how fast i'm getting up to speed using light acceleration.

I'm getting cruise fitted, so once up to speed, i'll stick it on to maintain 60mph on the way to work, and keep some fuel for weekend fun :)

Used a smidge over half a tank and done 250 miles so i don't think 360 out the tank is unreasonable.

Offline flashp

• Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 65
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2013, 09:09:05 pm »
Couldn't give a monkeys tbh. I used to pay attention to this when the cars I drove did nothing else for me and there was no other way to measure them. The Golf, with light mods, is so much more than many many cars.

That's how I feel  :P

Gone but not forgotten :-)

Offline flashp

• Thank You
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2013, 09:11:52 pm »

And I'll have a go at beating the least mpg.  :evilgrin:

Offline rf860

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2013, 09:17:21 pm »
Couldn't give a monkeys tbh. I used to pay attention to this when the cars I drove did nothing else for me and there was no other way to measure them. The Golf, with light mods, is so much more than many many cars.

That's how I feel  :P

That's ok if you want to spend a fortune on petrol just driving boring roads, but me personally, i'd rather stick to 60 on the motorway with blasts now and then to overtake and save fuel for proper fun driving - bombing along at 90 on the motorway isn't much fun, and in my experience, in traffic, you don't get there any quicker.

Also, i get paid 40p per mile for business miles, so may as well maximise the profit when driving to jobs :)

Boost is quite addictive tho haha!

Offline flashp

• Thank You
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2013, 09:22:09 pm »
True enough B roads for me. Take your point re m'ways fully.  :happy2:

Offline camfollower

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2013, 09:34:29 pm »
Really depends on your mileage and requirements, if your doing 60mph on a MW over a long distance day in day out, then really, wouldn't a TDI / TDCI / CDTI be more suitable for you?

I grabbed 70 MPG out of one of those Volvo Eco things the other day over 20 miles or so being boring!

Offline rf860

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2013, 09:38:59 pm »
I've had 3 diesels and they are BORING!! 1.9tdi Ibiza FR was a good litte car tho, went well for the power after a map. 1.7 cdti astra, decent but slow, 120d couldn't get on with it - needed worked hard which isn't nice in a diesel.

Also, used to drive diesels all the time at work and they are just dull. Something like a 330d or 335d is quite appealing tho....

Offline j dog

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2013, 12:47:21 am »
Got 40 odd mpg once and also got 16 mpg once (maybe twice  :evilgrin:) but no one bought an Eddy for its economy! 

Seriously, I am averaging  27.8 mpg over the time I've owned my Stage 1 Eddy, so I sometimes get 6-8 mpg more, sometimes get 8-10 mpg less. Long motorway runs (with Cruise Control on) I usually get 32-34 mpg at around 70 ish mph.

Haha I got an eD30 for it's economy, I did come from a 400bhp Evo 9 though!

Offline GrayMK5GTI

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 125
  • -Receive: 247
« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2013, 10:25:36 am »
TFSI engine is designed with economy in mind, direct injection & lean burn is not required to make 230bhp  :stupid:

I regularly got 40+mpg on a run, 70mph with cruise control. . . .
NOW: 2015 Golf R DSG 5 Door, Lapiz Blue, 19s, Discover Nav, Reversing Camera
GONE:2007 Black GTI Edition 30 3dr