Make a donation

Author Topic: Gear changes for economy  (Read 3231 times)

Offline GTI5

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 4
Re: Gear changes for economy
« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2013, 11:14:34 am »
I think I have seen 40 mpg once and that was with a virtually empty tank on a 40 minute journey but I don't have cruise.

I averaged 34 (Computer) on a 112 mile journey yesterday which I'm content with.

When I first bought the car I was bothered but not now. I typically sit around 28-32 mpg and its rarely below 25 mpg.

Just enjoy the car and been glad you went for the GTI and not the TDI :P

Its already been said its very dependent on your mileage and type of roads you drive on, if your motorway crunching then you wont see the best of the GTI.

I don't think I could stick to 60 on a motorway, I just get bored.
MK6 GTI Revo
MK5 GTI DSG - Gone

Offline homesqueeze

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 32
  • -Receive: 42
  • Got another Golf!
« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2013, 05:45:13 pm »
45 mpg is the best I've ever got and didn't have to try too hard. Gears wise I quite often block change, 2nd to 4th or 4th to 6th, using every gear is nor always necessary. If I'm taking it easy I'm in 6th by 30mph  :drool:
'16 MK7 Golf 1.4TSI Match Edition

Offline RedRobin

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 380
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2013, 06:15:16 pm »
The idea of using the gears to improve fuel economy is directly opposite to the way of driving which I have been taught and which I enjoy practicing.

I select the optimum gear for a situation in order to maximise either instant acceleration or instant deacceleration. The only times I ever use D-mode and therefore let the DSG decide on best economy is in 20/30/40 mph zones or built-up areas.

As a result I very very rarely see over 30 mpg and usually around 28 mpg even on a long journey of several hundred miles with strictly a private average speed. I didn't buy and modify my Mk5 GTI for fuel economy reasons.

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline dmac1969

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 20
  • -Receive: 21
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: February 02, 2013, 06:32:28 pm »
I have seen 43 mpg, driving like miss daisy, funny enough i havent been able to get anywhere as close to that for ages now.....  :fighting2:

But does no harm to try now and again.

At the min im lucky to see over 30mpg  :driver:

Thats probably due to the cold weather , you will see more when temperatures rise in the Summer - if we get one!
2005 Golf GTI 3 Door - Tornado Red. (2010 - 2012)

2008 Golf GTI 3 Door - Candy White , 18" Monza II's , Leather , Armrest , Rear Park sensors. (current car)