Make a donation

Author Topic: Does baby=5 door?  (Read 6028 times)

Offline Stumpey

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
    • Sunbury Weather
    • Email
Re: Does baby=5 door?
« Reply #30 on: February 04, 2013, 10:58:14 am »
I have just got my first 5 door and my kids are now 18 and 23 all previous cars have been 2 door, so you don't have too change. When my kids first came along ( surprised I was !! )  I had a Honda MK2 CRX that was fun getting the kids in the back :).

The only reason I have a 5 door now is that my parents are 90 and 85 and when I pick them up its a bit difficult to pick them up so had to borrow the Missus 5 door Charade :).

Steve

Offline swgti

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 28
  • -Receive: 6
  • GTI owners are born not manufactured!
« Reply #31 on: February 04, 2013, 12:17:07 pm »
We bought our 3 door about 6wks before we found out the Mrs was pregnant, tbh it's been fine so far, using an ISOFIX seat was dead easy but now as he gets bigger (approaching 1yr old) we've decided to look at a 5 door as getting him in and out is hard work but not impossible. Not sure what we're going to do yet, the choice is either another Gti or we may change to Leon FR again.
Laser Blue 3dr No 209683, Leather, Monza II's and a few other goodies...........GONE but not forgotten......now in an A4 S-Line Avant 170tdi......god I miss the Gti.

Offline RedRobin

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 380
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #32 on: February 04, 2013, 12:29:04 pm »
Quite apart from babies, which healthily grow in size and weight every week, a 5-door is far easier to load/unload heavier or awkward shaped items. Heavy lifting (growing baby or otherwise) while your back is cantilevered forward is something you may regret having done when you are older. It is anyway easy to hurt yourself.

The other downside of a 3-door is simply the size of the doors when opening in tighter spaces.

I actually don't see the point of having a 3-door Golf unless you intend to strip it and use it as a track car - You lose most of the advantages of a great allround hatchback. But ETTO.

So, it's only a matter of time until baby = 5-door.

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline scottm72

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 11
  • -Receive: 7
« Reply #33 on: February 04, 2013, 12:32:02 pm »
looks like all the replies are saying a 3dr is livable but a 5dr is so much easier, it gets to difficult as the little ones get a bit heavier.
i personally like the look of a 3dr but tbh theres no way i could function properly with the kids in the back.
the amount of times i have to stop the car etc to either fix something with them which requires me getting out of my seat or to pick something up, wipe chocolate fingers etc etc etc is unbeleivable.
to do this in a 3dr is a scary thought for me, plus on hot days the little ones love putting their windows down, unless i lock them that is.
5dr all the way  :happy2:
« Last Edit: February 04, 2013, 12:33:48 pm by scottm72 »

Offline mo

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 14
    • Email
« Reply #34 on: February 04, 2013, 04:30:41 pm »
I thought i was fine with my 3dr till i got my 5dr and realised how easier things are. Fitting a rear facing isofix baby carrier into the rear of a 3 door is a real pain.
2007 Ed30 Superchips Bluefin Stg 1
RNS510 & MDI

Offline phil197

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
« Reply #35 on: February 04, 2013, 05:54:25 pm »
I shall keep the 3 door for the time being and keep a 5 door in mind..the moment I get annoyed with the car I shall use it as an excuse to grab a newer 5 door  :happy2:

Offline Gene Hunt

• Thank You
  • -Given: 59
  • -Receive: 61
    • Email
« Reply #36 on: February 05, 2013, 08:36:07 am »
you can manage with a 3 door but your better half will tell you to get a 5 door as its easier to get in and out of which she is right :grin:
............5 doors is a lot easier. :wink:
ED35. Standard factory condition.

Offline TurboTrev

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 7
    • Email
« Reply #37 on: February 05, 2013, 01:25:39 pm »
I think a lot of it depends on how much you prefer a 3 door car when compared to a to 5 car, from a car styling perspective.  For me, 5 doors completely spoils the look of a sporty hatch, so we always had 3 door cars when we had our children and still do even though we now ferry around the grandchildren.  5 doors would be easier, but I would rather suffer the slight inconvenience of a 3 door car, than have to suffer the ugly appearance (imho) of a 5 door car.  Isofix is your friend. :happy2:

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #38 on: February 05, 2013, 01:41:17 pm »

I think a lot of it depends on how much you prefer a 3 door car when compared to a to 5 car, from a car styling perspective.  For me, 5 doors completely spoils the look of a sporty hatch, so we always had 3 door cars when we had our children and still do even though we now ferry around the grandchildren.  5 doors would be easier, but I would rather suffer the slight inconvenience of a 3 door car, than have to suffer the ugly appearance (imho) of a 5 door car.  Isofix is your friend. :happy2:

....I expect that most folks with 3-door versions have chosen them for preferred styling. Yes, what is ugly or not is very subjective - I think that the current Scirocco is extremely ugly for example.

The styling differences between the 3-door and 5-door Golfs is less when compared to some other car brands.

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline wigit

• Thank You
  • -Given: 129
  • -Receive: 42
    • Email
« Reply #39 on: February 05, 2013, 01:53:30 pm »
No kids but 3 door is a pita with older parents, in reality we always use the mk5 for that give its a more door, in reality only the cat has graced the rear seats of the Ed35

Oddly the 3 door has been more practical on ikea and DIY trips as you can slide and tilt the flront seat to liberate more space

I've ordered a 5 door polo for the practicality and to be frugal as in reality never like leaving the golf in multistoreys or supermarket car parks

Offline Upperoilcan

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 3
« Reply #40 on: February 05, 2013, 06:04:31 pm »
Five door is  much easier than a 3 door that's why at the weekends we use the mrs's  5 door Polo rather than my 3 door GTI.

(Too lazy to mess about with swapping the child seat over). :signLOL:

Offline itismebigd

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 16
  • -Receive: 10
    • Email
« Reply #41 on: February 05, 2013, 07:12:55 pm »
I have a 5dr tornado red gti at present and missus is due anytime,but the baby when born will never get in my lovely interlargos lol,thats what her 5dr msport 1 series is for.baby=sick+minted gti=think not lol. :grin:

Dougie

Offline mo

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 14
    • Email
« Reply #42 on: February 05, 2013, 07:44:07 pm »
I thought i was fine with my 3dr till i got my 5dr and realised how easier things are. Fitting a rear facing isofix baby carrier into the rear of a 3 door is a real pain.
might i add that this is my first 5 dr car and ive been driving a total of 21 years now (how old does that make me feel right about now)  :confused:
2007 Ed30 Superchips Bluefin Stg 1
RNS510 & MDI

Offline tony_danza

• Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 112
  • The voice of objective reason, but mine's best.
« Reply #43 on: February 05, 2013, 08:13:10 pm »
Getting a child in the back of a 3 door car that doesn't want to be in there is a lot like trying to get a cat in a bath tub.
Sideways yo!

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #44 on: February 05, 2013, 08:28:48 pm »

might i add that this is my first 5 dr car and ive been driving a total of 21 years now (how old does that make me feel right about now)  :confused:

....Pah! I've been driving 48 years.