Make a donation

Author Topic: Th end of the Subaru Impreza in the uk  (Read 3451 times)

Offline RedRobin

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 380
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
Re: Th end of the Subaru Impreza in the uk
« Reply #30 on: February 03, 2013, 03:25:12 pm »

I've always preferred the Evo's to the Impreza's but they are still worthy of very great respect and love.

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline dmac1969

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 20
  • -Receive: 21
    • Email
« Reply #31 on: February 03, 2013, 04:37:13 pm »
Yes its a shame , even though I've never had one. I did own a Mitsi Evo II though , and running that for a year nearly killed me! That was when petrol was 89p a litre , and I was going through £20 every three days just running round town , I went to JAE at Billing and it cost me £95 in petrol in one day to get there and back!!I cant imagine how ruinous keeping one on the road is now ,especially with the £400 odd road tax on the newer ones! No Evo , now no Impreza - and era ends , RIP.

My old Evo
2005 Golf GTI 3 Door - Tornado Red. (2010 - 2012)

2008 Golf GTI 3 Door - Candy White , 18" Monza II's , Leather , Armrest , Rear Park sensors. (current car)

Offline Sunglasses Ron

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 11
  • -Receive: 15
    • Email
« Reply #32 on: February 03, 2013, 04:47:02 pm »
I've owned 4 Subaru's and I was of they very first to own the redesigned 2003 "Blobeye" Type UK STI. I had it for 4 years and then picked up a 2006 JDM Hawkeye STI

I loved my scoobies but day to day I prefer driving my ED30.

I do miss the power I had and the sure-footedness, it never ran out of grip.  I had only changed the exhaust, panel filter and remap and she made 350bhp/365torque.
When I put the power down, all of it transfered to the road without any wheel spin.
That is the one thing i miss in my ED30 and why I am looking to getting a Golf R.

But I dont think I would go back.

The servicing wasn't any more expensive than my ED's and the parts were generally cheaper than what is on offer to VAG, the running costs in terms of fuel was a killer.
220 miles out of an 11gallon tank on a run and a lot less for day to day driving.

My friend had an evo 8 and it was a was a different animal. Just as fast and maybe more grippy but mainly because the car did alot for you.
There has always been a huge rivalry between the 2 cars and it generally comes down to a bad driver could go alot faster in an Evo.

But I am happy I made the switch and other than 4 wheel drive, that is all I really miss.

The main killer was the pricing of the car. When I got my 2003 STI I paid 24K for it, the same car now is 34k and isn't really that differently spec'd. Its slower if anything and has the weaker 2.5L engine. Unlike the 2001-2005 and the JDM 2L engine. You also get the 2.5L in the UK Hawkeye and that engine was chocolate!

Aw happy memories

That's a mint looking Scoob mate, have to say.. What sort of times/speeds did it run at Pod out of interest?

I have always loved Evo's and Scoobs over the years and been close to buying one a few times. Problem now is they just haven't moved on with the game and they are no longer the rapid 4 door saloon they use to be.
The most recent UK WRX Impreza was shockingly slow by comparison and they have nothing else in their locker to make you want one. The looks have gone down the drain (big time), interiors are still awful, fuel consumption/Co2 has never got any better (unlike most manufactures) and they still cost the same as a hot VAG...

Real shame, but they only have them selves to blame..

Offline rob_e

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 12
  • -Receive: 7
  • 2012 vRS Octavia
    • vRS blog on Pistonheads
    • Email
« Reply #33 on: February 03, 2013, 10:04:21 pm »
My old car:

2011 WRX STI Type Uk by lotus-gt, on Flickr

Very, very quick, lovely sound, fab recaros.

But, lousy mpg, expensive list price, crap ride, poor interior quality. TBH it's no surprise they struggled to sell many.

When I first drove an impreza back in '98 it was a revelation, super light machine with 200bhp it felt really quick and handled well plus 4wd traction. You forgave it the poor build 'cos it did so much else well.  The last cars were heavy and although 300bhp made it quicker is was actually less fun.. plus the build/cabin quality hadn't moved on at all where it's competitors we're massively improved (compare a mk3 gti with a mk6).

Factor in the £32k list price of mine and it's no wonder the end of the road was going to come.

Still sad though.

2012 TSI vRS: H&R monotubes, S3 arms, H&R rARB, Neuspeed RSe07, Brembos, MFSW and a few other tweaks..  PH Blog:  http://www.pistonheads.com/members/showcar.asp?carId=191311

Offline majinvash

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 2
  • Eat, Sleep, Snowboard
    • Email
« Reply #34 on: February 03, 2013, 11:17:17 pm »
I've owned 4 Subaru's and I was of they very first to own the redesigned 2003 "Blobeye" Type UK STI. I had it for 4 years and then picked up a 2006 JDM Hawkeye STI

I loved my scoobies but day to day I prefer driving my ED30.

I do miss the power I had and the sure-footedness, it never ran out of grip.  I had only changed the exhaust, panel filter and remap and she made 350bhp/365torque.
When I put the power down, all of it transfered to the road without any wheel spin.
That is the one thing i miss in my ED30 and why I am looking to getting a Golf R.

But I dont think I would go back.

The servicing wasn't any more expensive than my ED's and the parts were generally cheaper than what is on offer to VAG, the running costs in terms of fuel was a killer.
220 miles out of an 11gallon tank on a run and a lot less for day to day driving.

My friend had an evo 8 and it was a was a different animal. Just as fast and maybe more grippy but mainly because the car did alot for you.
There has always been a huge rivalry between the 2 cars and it generally comes down to a bad driver could go alot faster in an Evo.

But I am happy I made the switch and other than 4 wheel drive, that is all I really miss.

The main killer was the pricing of the car. When I got my 2003 STI I paid 24K for it, the same car now is 34k and isn't really that differently spec'd. Its slower if anything and has the weaker 2.5L engine. Unlike the 2001-2005 and the JDM 2L engine. You also get the 2.5L in the UK Hawkeye and that engine was chocolate!

Aw happy memories

That's a mint looking Scoob mate, have to say.. What sort of times/speeds did it run at Pod out of interest?

I have always loved Evo's and Scoobs over the years and been close to buying one a few times. Problem now is they just haven't moved on with the game and they are no longer the rapid 4 door saloon they use to be.
The most recent UK WRX Impreza was shockingly slow by comparison and they have nothing else in their locker to make you want one. The looks have gone down the drain (big time), interiors are still awful, fuel consumption/Co2 has never got any better (unlike most manufactures) and they still cost the same as a hot VAG...

Real shame, but they only have them selves to blame..

Thanks, I did spoil it :)

My best ever run was 12.83 after a very violent launch and perfect changes.
I usually ran around 13.5 because I was worried about damaging the gearbox, clutch and drive train.

Santa POD 2010 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_PllUuJVOfk&list=UU4Bkkbwf55ZktV4ihBoDIhA&index=8

Thorney Island on normal tarmac http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MmMyaMscNzU&feature=share&list=UU4Bkkbwf55ZktV4ihBoDIhA

Offline Leesey

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
« Reply #35 on: February 04, 2013, 12:13:46 am »
That is a stunning Subaru. Always been more of an Evo fan though, love the 8/9 and 10.