Make a donation

Author Topic: Caught doing 79 on the 50mph section of A3 out of Guildford.  (Read 16750 times)

Offline Mk5 GTian

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 62
  • -Receive: 37
  • Wolfsburg - Probably the Best Cars in the World
Caught doing 79 on the 50mph section of A3 out of Guildford.
« on: February 04, 2013, 03:55:53 pm »

Think I'm in trouble. Was driving on the 50mph section of the A3 out of Guildford, when I went past an unmarked BMW early on Sunday morning. Open road, little other traffic, but banged to rights. They've got me on camera they reckon, read me my rights etc and advised they were reporting me for driving with excess speed: 79mph in a 50. It'll be going to court. I was breathalysed (zero reading) and sent on my way after checks were done.

I feel a right idiot to be honest. I was going to see my new girlfriend in Churt for a day out, was excited and not really focussed on my surroundings. Does anyone have any idea what kind of penalty I can expect? The policeman said I might still only get 3 points, but the fine will be much bigger.

Fun Golf: 2016 mk7 R DSG 3 door. Work Golf: 2015 mk7 1.4 TSI GT ACT 5 door.
Gone but not forgotten : mk2 Golf GTI 16v, mk4 Golf V6 4Motion, mk5 GTI Storm Developments Stage 1, mk5 GTI Revo Stage 1, BMW 330ci, Skoda Octavia VRS Revo Stage 2, BMW Z4 Sdrive35i.

Offline s3dubbin

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 18
    • Email
Re: Caught doing 79 on the 50mph section of A3 out of Guildford.
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2013, 04:01:04 pm »
They will probably round it up to 80mph....6points and £400 fine is what i'm thinking. Work colleague had his court case last week 86mph in a 50 zone they hit him with £600 fine and 6points, he gave them the sob story and he ended up with 5points and a £400 fine.

Stevie.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2013, 04:06:21 pm by s3dubbin »

Offline jimojameso

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 9
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2013, 04:07:25 pm »
Sorry to hear that mate. Hope its not too bad   :sad1:
2010 Audi TT RS - Sepang Blue - 420BHP, 600NM

Offline graeme

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 13
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2013, 04:10:57 pm »
My mate done 54 in a 30 and got away with 3 points and a £100 fine reduced to £60 for an early plea. The judge said to him that he at least made the effort to attend court in a proper manner by wearing a shirt and suit bottoms. He just represented his self and said he was guilty. He said that he was sorry and he knew what he done was stupid etc.

I think as long as you are well mannered, have no previous and genuinely seem sorry you will just get 3 points and a fine. All depends on the judge tho.

I wouldn't worry about it. worst case i would say 6 points and a heft fine. . . don't think it would come to that tho.  :happy2:

Offline camfollower

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 10
  • -Receive: 31
  • Cam follower awareness.
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2013, 04:13:29 pm »
Driving wth excess speed is not any where near as bad as dangerous driving.
Any previous points?
I agree it's probably a 3-6 point offence in court.
Therefore will any previous points ban you by the totting up system?
If so, have some mitigating circumstances / hardship (loss of job, employees, family welfare) ready... getting harder to use these days though.
Not sure on the fine; I would expect a couple a hundered as a starting point.
As you will, have a good attitude on the day, dress smartly.

As always, depends on the judge - good luck.

Offline Tfsi_Mike

• Thank You
  • -Given: 241
  • -Receive: 309
  • Go Large or Go Home
    • Tfsi Mikes Money Pit AKS / TTE / RTech St2+ Cupra
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,32721.msg402587.html#msg402587
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2013, 04:25:05 pm »

Best of luck mate, obviously a lapse in concentration.  Hope the powers that be see it that way eh  :sad1:

Offline Real Thing

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2013, 04:25:59 pm »
Clear Road, early weekend morning, good visibility all should go in your favour if your've got a clean record present yourself well and apologise may escape with 3-6 Points + fine based on your income. Might be worth having a look on here: http://www.pepipoo.com/
Golf MK6 R TTE420 & Gen1 RS3

Offline Mk5 GTian

• Thank You
  • -Given: 62
  • -Receive: 37
  • Wolfsburg - Probably the Best Cars in the World
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2013, 04:26:39 pm »
my licence is clean, last speeding fine was 8 years ago. I shall attend court and dress in a suit. I will represent myself and plead guilty. I am genuinely sorry, I was stupid and I shall convey this.

Fun Golf: 2016 mk7 R DSG 3 door. Work Golf: 2015 mk7 1.4 TSI GT ACT 5 door.
Gone but not forgotten : mk2 Golf GTI 16v, mk4 Golf V6 4Motion, mk5 GTI Storm Developments Stage 1, mk5 GTI Revo Stage 1, BMW 330ci, Skoda Octavia VRS Revo Stage 2, BMW Z4 Sdrive35i.

Offline graeme

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 13
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2013, 04:35:07 pm »
my licence is clean, last speeding fine was 8 years ago. I shall attend court and dress in a suit. I will represent myself and plead guilty. I am genuinely sorry, I was stupid and I shall convey this.

You will be fine then mate  :happy2: Hope all goes well  :happy2:

Offline Kalpsn2000

• Thank You
  • -Given: 10
  • -Receive: 56
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2013, 04:49:33 pm »
This reminds of when I was stopped a couple of months after getting my GTI (Feb 2010). I was doing 90+ in a 50 zone (I know it’s stupid but it was the excitement of owning my 1st GTI). Anyway I was slowing down when I saw flashing blues in the rear view mirror (unmarked ford) and thought sh*t! I pulled over and was expecting points and a massive fine. While he checked everything out I was being cooperative/polite. Told him I knew I was wrong and sorry.

In the end I was gobsmacked (and extremely relieved) when he just gave me a leaflet about dangers of speed and a warning.

So it shows some guys can be reasonable as long as you don’t give them attitude. Also I assume he didn’t have any photographic/video evidence.

He did mention that a lot of GTI’s get stolen so he initially thought that may have been the case.

The best thing I took from that day was that there is a time and place for spirited driving and it has slowed me down generally. Looking back on it now I am actually glad it happened, partly due to the outcome, but it made me think and change my driving.
Diamond Black 2007 (56) Golf GTI 3Dr DSG ¦ 18" Monza II's ¦ Cruise control ¦ MFSW ¦ Highline ¦ Rear parking sensors ¦ PDT Stage 1 ¦ Forge Twintake ¦ H&R Sport Springs ¦ NQSBBK ¦ R32 Rear bumper ¦ BCS Powervalve Sports R32 style TBE ¦ Valeo LED Rear Lights ¦ Xenon lights with HID kit ¦ DNX521DAB ¦ 12mm Spacers all round ¦

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 379
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2013, 05:15:04 pm »
Very sorry to hear this, Ian - I hope your new girlfriend gave you lots of sympathy cuddles.

Where does the 50 zone end on the Guildford A3 southbound? Surely it doesn't extend below the A31 Hog's Back junction. I don't travel above Milford often enough to remember.

Do you know what the threshold is for speeding above 50 before you get as much as 6pts and more than a £60 fine? 3pts and £60 is still the standard penalty isn't it?

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline RENNTAG

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 23
  • Premium Performance Parts
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2013, 05:25:10 pm »

Sorry to hear this Ian. I feel your pain as have been there before myself  :ashamed:

What you have said above is the best thing to do. It will probably take a few month before you are actually asked to go to court. They will also ask you to to provide mitigating circumstances. I think a key point you should point out here is that you are self employed and work alone (correct me if im wrong), therefore being banned from driving could seriously effect your livelihood. I think it is very unlikely they would consider a ban however that is what i got but it was under different circumstances.

Good luck mate.

Offline Tamiyoman

• Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 39
  • Prev car - Candy DSG ED30 No. 2235
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2013, 05:42:01 pm »
Totally agree with what bendy said above, be apologetic, admit you were wrong and know that and point out that you have have a good driving history and this was a lapse.......

Good luck  :happy2:
MK7 Golf R, Pure White 3Dr DSG, Had since 10/06/14

Offline MightyMullet

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 13
  • -Receive: 5
  • Penzance, Cornwall
« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2013, 05:51:54 pm »
I swear that sounds a bit steep 6 points? I got 3 and £60 for 47 in a 30. It was 6 years ago now though.

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 379
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2013, 06:04:08 pm »
I think that the mph differentials are the key to expecting what penalties are dished out. So in Ian's case, 79 in a 50 might be a heavier penalty than 79 in a 60 or 79 in a 70 etc.

The unfair part is that I think that the A3 is generally a fast road and, subject to traffic and conditions, 79 mph should be acceptable in its 70 zones and should that 50 zone actually be there? Perhaps it should.

Having said that, my only 2 tickets ever have both been for 93 mph in 70 zones and resulted in 3pts and £60 fines. I have been followed and stopped numerous times by unmarked cars and been doing in the 90's (in 60 and 70 zones) but only had verbal warnings.... So far! I've been very lucky.

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!