Make a donation

Author Topic: Caught doing 79 on the 50mph section of A3 out of Guildford.  (Read 16765 times)

Offline Kalpsn2000

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 10
  • -Receive: 56
Re: Caught doing 79 on the 50mph section of A3 out of Guildford.
« Reply #45 on: February 04, 2013, 08:41:26 pm »
Based on all these responses sounds like I got extremely lucky when I was caught.

Good luck with your case mate :happy2:
Diamond Black 2007 (56) Golf GTI 3Dr DSG ¦ 18" Monza II's ¦ Cruise control ¦ MFSW ¦ Highline ¦ Rear parking sensors ¦ PDT Stage 1 ¦ Forge Twintake ¦ H&R Sport Springs ¦ NQSBBK ¦ R32 Rear bumper ¦ BCS Powervalve Sports R32 style TBE ¦ Valeo LED Rear Lights ¦ Xenon lights with HID kit ¦ DNX521DAB ¦ 12mm Spacers all round ¦

Offline Mk5 GTian

• Thank You
  • -Given: 62
  • -Receive: 37
  • Wolfsburg - Probably the Best Cars in the World
« Reply #46 on: February 04, 2013, 08:42:38 pm »
Thanks to all of you for your words of support and advice. It's very much appreciated.  :happy2:

I shall collate all your sensible suggestions if the paperwork comes through, which it probably will.  :sad1:

Fun Golf: 2016 mk7 R DSG 3 door. Work Golf: 2015 mk7 1.4 TSI GT ACT 5 door.
Gone but not forgotten : mk2 Golf GTI 16v, mk4 Golf V6 4Motion, mk5 GTI Storm Developments Stage 1, mk5 GTI Revo Stage 1, BMW 330ci, Skoda Octavia VRS Revo Stage 2, BMW Z4 Sdrive35i.

Offline cmdrfire

• Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 14
    • Commander Fire - my blog
    • Email
« Reply #47 on: February 05, 2013, 04:13:16 pm »
FWIW.

Years ago when I'd just got my GTI (2007 maybe?) I got nicked on the motorway by an unmarked car at 11pm (on my way to Canterbury from home). Got done for 103 in a 70. Summons came four months later. In the end I got 6 points and £300, was happy to have that. This was in my GTI.

Full story is probably still stored on uk-mkvs.net somewhere. But don't lose hope, and don't sell the GTI! Especially not such a nice blue one :) Trust me you can survive the three years with 6 points. My license was clean then for a while, but I picked up 3 in Nov 11 which again was quite reasonable - think it was 68 in a 50 (heading towards Reading). They were looking for drunk drivers I guess. Officer was a nice bloke, had a friendly chat, and gave me the roadside 3pts/£60. This time was in something faster than a GTI...

I nearly got nicked by the neighbourhood watch old folks with a laser gun this morning! In an electric car no less! Luckily someone flashed their lights at me and I slowed down just in time, gave a wave to the old fellow as I drove past (silently).

Offline rich83

• Thank You
  • -Given: 165
  • -Receive: 801
    • MK5 Golf GTI
  • My Ride: https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,19740.0.html
« Reply #48 on: February 05, 2013, 04:33:22 pm »
Thats 6 years ago neo.... now anything over 100 is almost certainly a ban.

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 379
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #49 on: February 05, 2013, 04:36:31 pm »

I nearly got nicked by the neighbourhood watch old folks with a laser gun this morning! In an electric car no less! Luckily someone flashed their lights at me and I slowed down just in time, gave a wave to the old fellow as I drove past (silently).

....What is that? I have never heard of such vigilante methods - Are they legal?

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline E30Dom

• Thank You
  • -Given: 42
  • -Receive: 76
« Reply #50 on: February 05, 2013, 05:02:01 pm »

Anything over 96 in a 70 is normally a ban...

I got caught doing 97mph about 8years ago, went to court and they said they'd brought me there to ban me, but as it was my first offense and I had a letter from my boss saying my fledgling career would be affected and I needed my license for my job, and I was dressed smart and was apologetic I like to think... they gave me 4 points and £250 fine...

But 27mph over 70 isn't as bad as 79 in a 50... so hopefully for you maybe 6 points and £400 fine... but best of luck mate!
Diesel Daily Hack.

Offline Powervalve Nige

• Trader - 2014
  • Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 84
  • Don't get angry, get a beter argument
    • POWERVALVE
    • Email
« Reply #51 on: February 05, 2013, 05:07:53 pm »
Just seen this Ian - so sorry mate, we're all prone to little lapse's.
I think you've got the right attitude in how you're going to deal with this...
The mother in law was a magistrate for 10 years and making a good impression goes a long way towards the outcome - however, they do have to work within strict guidelines.
Good luck bud
Nige

Offline cmdrfire

• Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 14
    • Commander Fire - my blog
    • Email
« Reply #52 on: February 05, 2013, 05:10:12 pm »

100 on the motorway was a ban back then too. I was expecting it certainly. But I put on a suit at the magistrates and pleaded guilty and as it was my first offence I got the points.

....What is that? I have never heard of such vigilante methods - Are they legal?

As far as I know. They go out once a month in the morning, on the run in to work. About once every three months they have a copper with them supervising, so I presume it's all above the board!

Offline Tfsi_Mike

• Thank You
  • -Given: 241
  • -Receive: 309
  • Go Large or Go Home
    • Tfsi Mikes Money Pit AKS / TTE / RTech St2+ Cupra
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,32721.msg402587.html#msg402587
« Reply #53 on: February 05, 2013, 05:12:51 pm »

Alot of civillians were paid to have cameras set up in their gardens and allsorts in Germany.  People privately contracted to use speed guns too I believe  :fighting:

Offline Powervalve Nige

• Trader - 2014
  • Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 84
  • Don't get angry, get a beter argument
    • POWERVALVE
    • Email
« Reply #54 on: February 05, 2013, 05:23:42 pm »

Alot of civillians were paid to have cameras set up in their gardens and allsorts in Germany.  People privately contracted to use speed guns too I believe  :fighting:

We're one step away from this Mike...

Offline 81lly

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 4
« Reply #55 on: February 05, 2013, 05:28:52 pm »

Haha that's hilarious! Is that RedRobin? :laugh:

Offline jonnym

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 40
  • -Receive: 22
« Reply #56 on: February 05, 2013, 06:22:50 pm »

looollll, classic.

Community Speed Watch is the name for these community members. Normally in 30/40 zones I think.
Check this though - and be a local HERO! website about this but google it and loads of stuff will come up - http://bealocalhero.com/
Have to say I do find it funny sometimes. They generally use radar which not accurate! So we have 'trained' public using the guns now in addition to PCSOs and Police Officers. However, it is only Police Officers that can actually stop and ticket you.

There was a scheme in Cambridgeshire recently where the locals did a scheme like this and basically turned on side of the town against another. In the end it was disbanded after 'threats'!! Don't know if its funny or just plain crazy :p
@PSW - "Candy white ones are the nicest and fastest"

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 379
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #57 on: February 05, 2013, 07:17:47 pm »

Community Speed Watch is the name for these community members. Normally in 30/40 zones I think.
Check this though - and be a local HERO! website about this but google it and loads of stuff will come up - http://bealocalhero.com/
Have to say I do find it funny sometimes. They generally use radar which not accurate! So we have 'trained' public using the guns now in addition to PCSOs and Police Officers. However, it is only Police Officers that can actually stop and ticket you.

There was a scheme in Cambridgeshire recently where the locals did a scheme like this and basically turned on side of the town against another. In the end it was disbanded after 'threats'!! Don't know if its funny or just plain crazy :p

....Personally I don't mind if these 'public spirited' 'tin gods' want to aim speed guns at me in 30/40 zones but I would be very concerned if it was in 60/70 zones and even some 50 zones.

I hope they wear high-viz gear because otherwise it would be easy to think they were a hitman/woman - Should they now be called 'hitperson'?

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline camfollower

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 10
  • -Receive: 31
  • Cam follower awareness.
« Reply #58 on: February 05, 2013, 07:35:37 pm »

....Personally I don't mind if these 'public spirited' 'tin gods' want to aim speed guns at me in 30/40 zones but I would be very concerned if it was in 60/70 zones and even some 50 zones.

I hope they wear high-viz gear because otherwise it would be easy to think they were a hitman/woman - Should they now be called 'hitperson'?

Now there's a thought!!
Quick call to the Police, "Someone has just aimed a gun at me in a threatening fashion".... wouldn't take long for the Armed reponse to be there! :grin:  IT also doubles up as an excuse for speeding.
Think I'll leave it up to someone else to try though.

Offline Rachael

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 9
  • -Receive: 10
    • Email
« Reply #59 on: February 05, 2013, 07:49:48 pm »
Just checked the magistrates guidelines...

It says between 76-85 in a 50mph results in a fine of a weeks wage, if you plead guilty early you get a third off.

And either disqualified for 7-56 days OR 6 points.