Make a donation

Author Topic: Bike Advice - Mostly Road Use  (Read 2730 times)

Offline Kalpsn2000

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 10
  • -Receive: 56
Bike Advice - Mostly Road Use
« on: February 05, 2013, 04:44:18 pm »
Hey guys I am planning to do the London to Brighton bike ride this year.

Based on Andrews thread it sounds like quite a few of you ride so thought I would ask for some advice.

Now, I haven’t ridden a bike for a good 10 years and have absolutely no idea where to even start looking.

The main thing I need to know is what type of bike to go for. I’m pretty sure it will be just for road use.

I have no idea what the decent bikes go for but my budget will be around £500 (willing to extend for a good bike).

Any advice would really be appreciated

Thanks
Kalpesh
Diamond Black 2007 (56) Golf GTI 3Dr DSG ¦ 18" Monza II's ¦ Cruise control ¦ MFSW ¦ Highline ¦ Rear parking sensors ¦ PDT Stage 1 ¦ Forge Twintake ¦ H&R Sport Springs ¦ NQSBBK ¦ R32 Rear bumper ¦ BCS Powervalve Sports R32 style TBE ¦ Valeo LED Rear Lights ¦ Xenon lights with HID kit ¦ DNX521DAB ¦ 12mm Spacers all round ¦

Offline camfollower

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 31
  • Cam follower awareness.
Re: Bike Advice - Mostly Road Use
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2013, 05:01:50 pm »
How far is it?
How fit are you?  Do you do any other form of exercise
How long before your doing this distance?
Have you ridden much in the past? MTB / RoadBike
Is it a timed event, or just complete when you can?

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 380
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2013, 05:09:21 pm »
You'll find that the route will be so crowded with folks who don't usually ride a bike and have no road sense etc that it won't matter too much what you are riding because it'll be a PITA to make progress.

I don't know what £500 buys you nowadays but for general road use there should be a lot to choose from. Go and see and try out a few to see what suits you - It's like buying a car.

You need to be bike fit to ride the distance in comfort, which means doing lots of miles building up to 100 milers before the event. We used to ride London to Brighton and back as training sometimes. Train by twiddlng low gears to keep your cadence rate high - It's better for your muscles.

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline Kalpsn2000

• Thank You
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2013, 05:13:11 pm »
How far is it?
How fit are you?  Do you do any other form of exercise
How long before your doing this distance?
Have you ridden much in the past? MTB / RoadBike
Is it a timed event, or just complete when you can?

I'm actually looking for advice on which bike to buy.

But let me give you some info:
54 miles
Not bad shape. Ran ‘Run to the Beat’ half marathon few months ago.
The race is in June.
I used to ride BMX’s and mountain bikes.
There will be a maximum time limit (before they open the roads) not an issue for me.

The ride I will be doing:
http://www.bhf.org.uk/get-involved/events/view-event.aspx?ps=1001444
Diamond Black 2007 (56) Golf GTI 3Dr DSG ¦ 18" Monza II's ¦ Cruise control ¦ MFSW ¦ Highline ¦ Rear parking sensors ¦ PDT Stage 1 ¦ Forge Twintake ¦ H&R Sport Springs ¦ NQSBBK ¦ R32 Rear bumper ¦ BCS Powervalve Sports R32 style TBE ¦ Valeo LED Rear Lights ¦ Xenon lights with HID kit ¦ DNX521DAB ¦ 12mm Spacers all round ¦

Offline winrya

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 16
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2013, 05:22:41 pm »
You say mostly road use? If you think you could stick to the road then get yourself a road bike.

A friend of mine purchased the decathlon triban 3 for £299
http://www.decathlon.co.uk/triban-3-road-bike-out-of-stock-id_8167038.html

Seems too cheap to be good but is very popular across the biking forums and has won a load of reviews in the bike mags. Including a best for under £1000 test. Even has carbon forks. Out of stock at the moment as they sell out so quick but they come back in very quickly

I'd spend the other £200 on kit - good pedals and shoes, bibs, jersey, helmet, tube and tools, it's these bits that make a real difference to the experience.

And good luck:)

Offline camfollower

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 31
  • Cam follower awareness.
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2013, 05:33:33 pm »
The reason I asked the above was to form some opinion on how you would do on a road bike, as they are not the easiest setup to get on with if you are overweight and have no cycling experience.  You are neither of those and also have plenty of time before the event. :happy2:

Ultimately, the road bike is going to be the fastest in the right hands, but not the most comfortable.  I would go for the lightest bike you can for the money.
The one above is about 23lb which you would have to spend quite a bit on a MTB hybrid to get that light; having some extra money for kit is wise.

I would suggest getting down to your local "decent" bike shop, so they can measure you up for a bike (you don't have to buy it there); a properly measured bike  makes for a much more enjoyable ride, especially over longer distances, where a wrong fitting bike really starts to show with numbness in feet / hands etc. etc.

Offline garrardrj

• Thank You
  • -Given: 76
  • -Receive: 42
  • EX 2007 Golf Edition 30 owner in Suffolk
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2013, 06:26:35 pm »
Get some padded pants (Cycling specific)

Go to your local bike shop , tell them what you are doing and ask if they would consider sponsoring you

Otherwise i would say £500 should get you a half decent bike , i would always but last years or a couple of year old bike , they will be heavily discounted to get rid of them . Also get it fitted to you , more important than what bike you get .
2015 Golf R White 5 Door Leather DCC Dynaudio Pretorias
2009 Land Rover Freelander HSE - Workhorse
2007 Mk 5 Golf GTI Edition 30 - SOLD

Offline DMcG

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 3
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2013, 07:13:00 pm »
Boardman Hybrid Comp or next model up? More comfy than a striaght road bike yet still light and fast.

Its also worth investing in some clip ins so you are no wasting any energy on a long ride.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2013, 07:14:49 pm by DMcG »

Offline Kalpsn2000

• Thank You
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2013, 09:33:54 pm »
You'll find that the route will be so crowded with folks who don't usually ride a bike and have no road sense etc that it won't matter too much what you are riding because it'll be a PITA to make progress.

I don't know what £500 buys you nowadays but for general road use there should be a lot to choose from. Go and see and try out a few to see what suits you - It's like buying a car.

You need to be bike fit to ride the distance in comfort, which means doing lots of miles building up to 100 milers before the event. We used to ride London to Brighton and back as training sometimes. Train by twiddlng low gears to keep your cadence rate high - It's better for your muscles.

Yeah I am expecting it to be busy but my main aim is to just complete the ride especially as its my first for a long time, so not really going for a fast time or anything.

Offline Kalpsn2000

• Thank You
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2013, 09:35:31 pm »
You say mostly road use? If you think you could stick to the road then get yourself a road bike.

A friend of mine purchased the decathlon triban 3 for £299
http://www.decathlon.co.uk/triban-3-road-bike-out-of-stock-id_8167038.html

Seems too cheap to be good but is very popular across the biking forums and has won a load of reviews in the bike mags. Including a best for under £1000 test. Even has carbon forks. Out of stock at the moment as they sell out so quick but they come back in very quickly

I'd spend the other £200 on kit - good pedals and shoes, bibs, jersey, helmet, tube and tools, it's these bits that make a real difference to the experience.

And good luck:)

Will check it out mate although I'm not sure if I want one with curled handle bars.

Offline Kalpsn2000

• Thank You
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2013, 09:43:14 pm »
The reason I asked the above was to form some opinion on how you would do on a road bike, as they are not the easiest setup to get on with if you are overweight and have no cycling experience.  You are neither of those and also have plenty of time before the event. :happy2:

Ultimately, the road bike is going to be the fastest in the right hands, but not the most comfortable.  I would go for the lightest bike you can for the money.
The one above is about 23lb which you would have to spend quite a bit on a MTB hybrid to get that light; having some extra money for kit is wise.

I would suggest getting down to your local "decent" bike shop, so they can measure you up for a bike (you don't have to buy it there); a properly measured bike  makes for a much more enjoyable ride, especially over longer distances, where a wrong fitting bike really starts to show with numbness in feet / hands etc. etc.

I hear you. I'm not super fit or anything but in decent shape. As I have not ridden for a long time I thought it would be a good idea to give myself enough time to get the training in.

Yeah I will go down to a local bike shop to get measured up so then I know what size I need.

Offline Kalpsn2000

• Thank You
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2013, 09:48:15 pm »
Get some padded pants (Cycling specific)

Go to your local bike shop , tell them what you are doing and ask if they would consider sponsoring you

Otherwise i would say £500 should get you a half decent bike , i would always but last years or a couple of year old bike , they will be heavily discounted to get rid of them . Also get it fitted to you , more important than what bike you get .

Yeah will put together a kit list over the next few weeks while looking for a bike.

Good idea about buying the older model with the right discount.

Offline Kalpsn2000

• Thank You
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2013, 09:49:05 pm »
Boardman Hybrid Comp or next model up? More comfy than a striaght road bike yet still light and fast.

Its also worth investing in some clip ins so you are no wasting any energy on a long ride.

Like the look of that bike. Will do some reading about it.

Will think about getting clip ins.

Offline Kalpsn2000

• Thank You
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2013, 09:51:37 pm »
Thanks for the advice so far guys :happy2:  

I will get myself measured up so I get the right size.

Regarding the types of bike I don't think I want the curled handlebars, would prefer the straight handlebar.

I like the look of the Boardman Hybrid bike. Any others like this? What are other decent brands to look out for?

Offline Deako

• Thank You
  • -Given: 38
  • -Receive: 44
  • Eat, Sleep....VAG
« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2013, 10:42:19 pm »
I can't rave enough about Cube. They do some fantastic rigid fork hybrid road bikes.