Make a donation

Author Topic: The alternatives to Sky TV  (Read 8672 times)

Offline bakili

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 11
    • Email
Re: The alternatives to Sky TV
« Reply #60 on: February 04, 2013, 01:54:53 pm »
I left SKY about 3 month ago.

After 3 month I received welcome back offer, full tv package (entertainment+, movies and sport) for only £13 per month +£50 credit on bill.   

Offline Golfgirl

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 12
  • -Receive: 23
« Reply #61 on: February 04, 2013, 04:59:21 pm »
I cancelled my Sky a couple of weeks ago.  I don't watch much tv and what I do watch is mainly available on Freeview.  The only reason I haven't cancelled before now is because I love the functionality of Sky+.  You View boxes are available now though which is the Freeview equivalent of Sky+.  I'm moving my phonecalls and broadband to BT from Talk Talk and the You View boxes are currently free to new BT broadband customers.

When I rang Sky, I rang with the sole intention of cancelling.  Not to take the pee and say I want to leave just to get a cheaper deal.  I have been a customer for about 8 years I think.  I have never had movies or sports, just the entertainment package for £26/month. I ended up on the phone to them for 50 minutes whilst they offered me various deals to stay with them.  First it was a cheaper subscription (£19.35 was the best they could do), then they tried to offer me their phone/broadband/tv package and then they offered me a free HD box.  I don't have a HD tv so that was no use to me.  I told them what I would be happy to pay to stay with them but they couldn't do it (I was being a bit cheeky but if you don't ask you don't get).

So I'm going to see how I get on with BT and the You View box.  I just hope my internet connection is good enough for it to work properly.  All the new gear should be arriving on the 13th of this month.

FOR SALE!

Offline JoeDarKa

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 57
  • -Receive: 73
« Reply #62 on: February 04, 2013, 05:14:48 pm »
We just have freeview but would like a freeview HD recorder. All depends on how much tv you actually watch and which channels!

GT Sport - Reflex Silver 2.0 TDI My Build

Offline Peppermuncher

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
« Reply #63 on: February 05, 2013, 12:46:45 am »
I've got the Humax FOXSAT 500g HDD (Freesat) It uses the remaining sky feeds, really easy to use, plug and play, unfortunately doesn't have Dave.  :sad1:

Cost me about £200, I don't watch much tv so I'm not really missing sky. Couldn't stand to be paying £30-£40 per month just to watch maybe 6 channels!  :stupid:

Also picks up the free to air HD channels. BBC one HD, BBC HD, ITV HD and channel 4 HD.

Offline GTI5

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 4
« Reply #64 on: February 05, 2013, 09:55:05 am »
Total and utter rip off that mate...

x2 We got rid of Sky nearly two years ago.

We only had it for the Football and Sky sets the packages up so that you can't just have the Football and end up with channels you never watch.

If I'm desperate to see a match live I will go down the pub or watch it elsewhere.

They rang a few times about why we cancelled and it was plainly for the reasons above.
MK6 GTI Revo
MK5 GTI DSG - Gone

Offline monte

• Thank You
  • -Given: 116
  • -Receive: 134
  • Global Ruler
    • Deep-Shine Detail. Detailing-Wrapping-Tints. Lincoln.
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,67679.0.html
« Reply #65 on: February 06, 2013, 09:13:27 am »
Thanks Guys (Leesey, MarkMarked and gfrost)  :congrats:

All those on Sky, what is their Broadband service like nowadays?

Offline RetroRaz

• Thank You
  • -Given: 32
  • -Receive: 194
    • Email
« Reply #66 on: February 06, 2013, 10:21:37 am »
Thanks Guys (Leesey, MarkMarked and gfrost)  :congrats:

All those on Sky, what is their Broadband service like nowadays?

had loads of dropouts on sky, even being capped on speed and i live less then 50metres from my exchange. My friend who lives around 300 Metres away from the exchange was on the up to 10mb speed and was only getting 1mb.

He switched to o2 and now has full speed, no problems/

Im on VM, was on the 20mb package and now they boosted me to 60mb! loving the speed. Perfect for my server and home network

Offline Deako

• Thank You
  • -Given: 38
  • -Receive: 44
  • Eat, Sleep....VAG
« Reply #67 on: February 06, 2013, 10:40:02 am »
Sky is pretty pants unless you have fiber. Im on 12mbps download and 0.9mbps upload.

Offline Stumpey

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 0
    • Sunbury Weather
    • Email
« Reply #68 on: February 06, 2013, 10:54:25 am »
I also dumped sky about 2 years ago ... wanted a new box as mine was old they wanted to charge me 350 quid for a new box * gasp*. I had been a customer for almost 20 years but they would not budge even offered to meet half way but they would not budge. I pointed out if I was a new customer I would get a free box and installation all they needed to do was send the box and i would install as I had a dish etc, but they still would not budge 350 thats it....so told them to stuff it. Best thing I ever did.
Now have a VU+ Uno box records,timeshifts etc same as skybox plus as its a Linux box does a whole load of other stuff as there is a free community building interfaces ( I use VIX ) and all for nothing :). Just need to get your Geek on :).

Steve

Offline Greeners

• Thank You
  • -Given: 201
  • -Receive: 199
    • Email
« Reply #69 on: February 06, 2013, 11:28:57 am »
My out-laws have Sky Broadband and it's nothing short of desperate! The Wi-Fi hub is weak at best, and they barely get 1mb!!  :surprised:

Oh and the customer service is shocking too!!

Offline Wild Bean

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 3
« Reply #70 on: February 09, 2013, 03:01:23 pm »
Currently watching Sky Sports F1 HD, getting the most from my £60 a month  :signLOL:

Offline Greeners

• Thank You
  • -Given: 201
  • -Receive: 199
    • Email
« Reply #71 on: February 09, 2013, 04:27:42 pm »
Currently watching Sky Sports F1 HD, getting the most from my £60 a month  :signLOL:

:P