Make a donation

Author Topic: Aftermarket Xenon Kits (and the dreaded Wiper Motor Fail!)  (Read 12409 times)

Offline Kalpsn2000

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 10
  • -Receive: 56
Re: Aftermarket Xenon Kits (and the dreaded Wiper Motor Fail!)
« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2013, 03:19:50 pm »
Ok thanks :happy2:

So regarding MOT's, do HID's need to be removed? If yes, then a discreet install would be extra hassle come MOT time right?
Diamond Black 2007 (56) Golf GTI 3Dr DSG ¦ 18" Monza II's ¦ Cruise control ¦ MFSW ¦ Highline ¦ Rear parking sensors ¦ PDT Stage 1 ¦ Forge Twintake ¦ H&R Sport Springs ¦ NQSBBK ¦ R32 Rear bumper ¦ BCS Powervalve Sports R32 style TBE ¦ Valeo LED Rear Lights ¦ Xenon lights with HID kit ¦ DNX521DAB ¦ 12mm Spacers all round ¦

Offline xjay1337

• Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 377
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,88399.0.html
« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2013, 03:27:37 pm »
No they don't.

Offline Kalpsn2000

• Thank You
« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2013, 03:38:38 pm »
No they don't.

So HID's in projector headlights will pass the MOT? I wasn't sure but thought HID kits are not road legal in the UK?
Diamond Black 2007 (56) Golf GTI 3Dr DSG ¦ 18" Monza II's ¦ Cruise control ¦ MFSW ¦ Highline ¦ Rear parking sensors ¦ PDT Stage 1 ¦ Forge Twintake ¦ H&R Sport Springs ¦ NQSBBK ¦ R32 Rear bumper ¦ BCS Powervalve Sports R32 style TBE ¦ Valeo LED Rear Lights ¦ Xenon lights with HID kit ¦ DNX521DAB ¦ 12mm Spacers all round ¦

Offline xjay1337

• Thank You
« Reply #18 on: April 12, 2013, 04:25:34 pm »
HIDs in any type of headlight will pass the MOT so long as the beam pattern is correct.. ergo normally only in projector headlights.

Offline mtj2k

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 16
  • -Receive: 2
  • 1.4 TSi GT
« Reply #19 on: April 15, 2013, 11:36:08 am »
funny enough i just had mine MOT'd on Friday. I have Hella projectors and 6K HID and the beam scatter is awesome!

Anyway took them out for the test; worried about not having washers and leveller etc. they guy failed me on not putting a halogen bulb in properly!! He told me only cars that come out of factory with Xenon's require the additional kit to be fitted and functioning, re-installed the HID kit and he levelled it and passed with flying colours.

:grin:

Offline Kalpsn2000

• Thank You
« Reply #20 on: April 15, 2013, 04:14:14 pm »
funny enough i just had mine MOT'd on Friday. I have Hella projectors and 6K HID and the beam scatter is awesome!

Anyway took them out for the test; worried about not having washers and leveller etc. they guy failed me on not putting a halogen bulb in properly!! He told me only cars that come out of factory with Xenon's require the additional kit to be fitted and functioning, re-installed the HID kit and he levelled it and passed with flying colours.

:grin:

Nice. So need to get my kit ordered :happy2:

Offline paulg300986

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: August 28, 2015, 12:01:44 am »
Heard a lot of mixed reviews on installing a hid kit on the mk5 I have standard gti headlights in I am just looking for a bit more light as mine int as bright as I want. I have some xenon bright white bulbs in at the moment

Offline Degudodger

• Thank You
  • -Given: 53
  • -Receive: 86
    • Flickr
« Reply #22 on: August 28, 2015, 09:03:17 am »
Heard a lot of mixed reviews on installing a hid kit on the mk5 I have standard gti headlights in I am just looking for a bit more light as mine int as bright as I want. I have some xenon bright white bulbs in at the moment

Basically put. HIDS in reflector headlights is not a smart move as the beam pattern will be everywhere and it just looks stupid. Plus you will only p1ss off other road users - Don't be that guy!

If you REALLY want better light and can't stretch to Xenon headlights (circa £400 these days) I would get some after market Projector headlights and the best HID kit you can afford. You might have to do the 6pm mod to rotate the bulb by 180 dgs to get a better beam pattern but that depends on the HID kit.
2016 Mk7 Golf GTD - Reflex Silver with stuff.

VCDS Hex+Can - Will code for beer!

Offline D_Philli_82

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 2
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: August 28, 2015, 10:32:16 am »
As mentioned above...
1. Aftermarket Depo Headlights work fine - beam pattern is fine. Sure eBay have plenty for around £200.
2. Adding a HID kit will not fail a MOT unless they are levelled wrong (same as all lights), the kit is faulty and not putting out light correctly or your tester is a tool
3. Best light output IMO is 4300k...unless u want a bluer light then go for 6000k
4. Can bus error free means nothing - similar price anyway if it makes u feel better.
5. Only thing u need to do is have xenon without shutter programmed in VCDS..
6. Slim ballast is easier to attach to the light..I have a bigger ballast but it is screwed in and also stuck with no more nails pads - no problem

I hope this reassures you. It's a top upgrade..!  :happy2:

MK5 1.9TDI 150Bhp

Offline Steveo8694

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: December 04, 2015, 10:26:37 pm »
This is interesting as I fitting after market hid kit error free the other week and my wipers have died.

Offline An0NyMOUs

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 7
  • A Nuisance
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: December 04, 2015, 10:55:35 pm »
I've run the same 10000k HID kit in 3 of my cars, I've never had any issues with it blowing wiper motors up?! Not even a bulb has blown.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
2.0 FSI 4motion

Offline r5gtt

• Thank You
  • -Given: 342
  • -Receive: 334
« Reply #26 on: December 05, 2015, 12:20:30 am »
If this is 4300k and the best light then I'm superman  :booty:

M40 at 2am

Offline Steveo8694

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: December 05, 2015, 10:35:49 am »
Put hid kit on and week later no wipers, have new motor, ruled out stalk and bonnet catch,have power to motor and a low constant voltage down motor signal wire, guy that's looked at it thinks the CECM is at fault.

Offline xjay1337

• Thank You
« Reply #28 on: December 21, 2015, 03:30:02 pm »

M40 at 2am

Worst picture ever.

4300k is closest purchasable bulb to the purest light (in terms of colour temperature) and lumens output (what you can actually see with) Meaning theoretical best projected distance.
Best 4300k bulbs can produce over 3000 lumens, 6k you're looking at 2100 or thereabouts.
I have 4300k Osram Nightbreaker D1S in and the light output is very good. Just a shame my lenses are stonechipped to buggery.

Offline r5gtt

• Thank You
  • -Given: 342
  • -Receive: 334
« Reply #29 on: December 21, 2015, 03:54:05 pm »

M40 at 2am

Worst picture ever.

4300k is closest purchasable bulb to the purest light (in terms of colour temperature) and lumens output (what you can actually see with) Meaning theoretical best projected distance.
Best 4300k bulbs can produce over 3000 lumens, 6k you're looking at 2100 or thereabouts.
I have 4300k Osram Nightbreaker D1S in and the light output is very good. Just a shame my lenses are stonechipped to buggery.

That's what I had to drive with before replacing my bulbs. The seller put osram bulbs in as I found an empty packet in the boot after purchasing the car which was meant to be valeted  :stupid: c**t.
I've now fitted bi xenon copy headlights and H7R hid kit to the lights. Should have just purchased the H7 but someone recommended them for the oem headlights and they apparently don't dazzle on coming vehicles.