Make a donation

Author Topic: What next  (Read 591 times)

Offline Black9

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 35
  • -Receive: 19
    • Email
What next
« on: February 10, 2013, 11:24:47 am »
After selling my edition 30 this week and hopefully selling my KO3 GTI in the next month I'll be looking to buy a new car (new as in something differant not a brand new car)

I've narrowed it down to a few options but a few more would be good

BMW 335i OR 135i
Audi B7 RS4
BMW E90 M3
BMW E46 M3 Coupe
BMW Z4M Coupe
Golf R

I drive my cars mostly in town for around 20-40 min journeys so I'm thinking the V8 cars would kill me on fuel. Heard lots of good reviews on the 35i cars for economy and power (very remappable too) but then for the money an E46 M3 seems like a great choice and I've always wanted one.. Looking at Golf R's they have came down in price a fair bit, will be decent on fuel and when mapped can be extremely fast

Any opinions and any other cars I should be looking into?

Offline bonelorry

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 72
  • -Receive: 44
    • Email
Re: What next
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2013, 11:39:34 am »
Bot of a toughie that one,

The 335i and 135i are the Q car's in that selection, More than quick enough for everyday without shouting about it.

Always loved the B7 RS4 and would love to own one if I had the funds, Ofcourse not a cheap car to run!

I cant really comment on the E90 M3 V8 as I dont have any experience of them, I am sure others will be able to comment who have experience.

E46 M3, Getting a bit old now and long in the tooth. Most are hammered and neglected and E46's do suffer from cosmetic rot, Seeing quite a few nowadays with wheel arch rot etc I think it would have to be a CSL to be special. Would prob rather have a 335I or 135I nowadays over a Stock E46 M3 personally.

Z4M coupe is again a car I have little knowledge about, Dont see many of them.

Golf R would be the sensible choice, In the real world it will do what all of the above will do especially with a remap. Also get the economy too.

Tough decision, They are all very different cars with the exception of the BMW's. I guess you would have to drive them all and see which one will tick all the right boxes.

Regards Simon

Offline andyR43

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 11
  • -Receive: 32
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2013, 01:58:08 pm »
Be sure to very very carefully check the rear subframe of any e46 you may be interested in as they suffer from rust. Have a look on the M3 owners club and you'll see it's a common fault with e46's.  :wink:

Keeping it original..............or not!!

Offline garrardrj

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 76
  • -Receive: 42
  • EX 2007 Golf Edition 30 owner in Suffolk
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2013, 02:53:50 pm »
E46 M3 is a bit old now .

You can get the E92 for about £20k now , if you can afford the fuel  :rolleye:

Friend only gets around town 12-14mpg
2015 Golf R White 5 Door Leather DCC Dynaudio Pretorias
2009 Land Rover Freelander HSE - Workhorse
2007 Mk 5 Golf GTI Edition 30 - SOLD

Saintsteve

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2013, 03:02:22 pm »
If you say your town driving, your list of cars you've put aren't in the right category ..

Buy a small petrol engined car, or if your happy to live with higher fuel bills then what you've been used too, that's your choice.

You could always put on your list of course the worlds fastest car, being the R32?