Make a donation

Author Topic: Trolley jack and axle stands  (Read 1488 times)

Offline bimbound

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 3
    • Email
Trolley jack and axle stands
« on: February 12, 2013, 08:55:00 am »
So i'd like to invest in a trolley jack and axle stands so that I can undertake some of the more straightforward maintenance / repair jobs myself and save on garage labour costs, the first job being to change the DV.

What is a suitable maximum height for the jack to lift allowing axle stands to then be placed underneath? I want to be able to get the car up using just the trolley jack (ie not starting with the widow maker and then changing) so I gather a low profile option will be best.

Looking around here the arcan ally jack from costco seems a popular choice but i'm about 2 hours away from the nearest costco and when these jacks appear on ebay they seem to be double the price.

So i'm looking at other options, it doesnt need to be fancy just functional and safe. Have seen this one which appears good value but would welcome peoples opinions:

SGS-Engineering

Any other suggestions welcome.

Offline john87

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 11
  • -Receive: 53
    • Email
Re: Trolley jack and axle stands
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2013, 12:06:58 pm »
I have the halfords 2 ton trolley jack (basic one) and it does the job...maybe not the most durable, but it lifts the car high enough to get axle stands under the first two 'notches' on the stand. Costco low-access one is much better but weighs a bloody ton  :grin:
VCDS Hex-USB +CAN (Central Scotland)

Offline Tfsi_Mike

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 241
  • -Receive: 309
  • Go Large or Go Home
    • Tfsi Mikes Money Pit AKS / TTE / RTech St2+ Cupra
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,32721.msg402587.html#msg402587
Re: Trolley jack and axle stands
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2013, 12:12:24 pm »

You just missed out on a lovely jack from machine mart.  Monte just bought one