Make a donation

Author Topic: retro-fitting RCD510 in place of RCD300 with parrot MKi9100  (Read 6515 times)

Offline paulw123

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 80
  • -Receive: 47
retro-fitting RCD510 in place of RCD300 with parrot MKi9100
« on: February 20, 2013, 05:33:06 pm »
So just got myself a 2012 RCD510dab(is this 3rd gen?) and want to put it in in place of my RCD300(is this 2nd gen?), 2008 golf with no accessories other than a parrot mki9100 kit.
I've read http://www.myturbodiesel.com/1000q/a5/rcd510-rns510-swap-vw.htm and just confused myself....

Do i need to change any of the pins around on the parrot plug to keep it working properly?
Do the phone mute pins need changing around?

i've also read following pdf file, do i need a vw phone mute adapter 7L6 051 442 ?

i appologise for the length of this:-

Installation Instructions
Original equipment radio upgrade RCD 210, RCD 310, RCD 510
(3rd generation radio)
Kit contents:
◆ 1 x Radio RCD 210, RCD 310 or RCD 510
◆ 1 x Operation manual
◆ 1 x Installation instructions
Accessories 1):
◆ Radio aerial adapter, 7L6 051 551 (for upgrading of 2nd generation radios to RCD310 or 510).
◆ Phone mute adapter, 7L6 051 442 (when upgrading 2nd generation radios (except R110) to III and so long as a
phone mute cable is already fitted in the vehicle.)
1) not included in the set contents, please order separately from your VW partner.
Special tools, test and measuring equipment, and ancillaries required:
◆ Torx Allen keys (set)
◆ Dismantling key 3409
◆ Wiring harness repair kit -VAS 1978-
Procedure:
Note
◆ A competent workshop should install the original equipment radio. Special tools and the accompanying literature
specific to the vehicle are required for fitting it. Incorrect fitting may cause damage to the vehicle or the radio.
◆ Retrofitting of the original equipment radio is possible in vehicles belonging to the model series PQ35/PQ46 from
model year 2008 as well as the Tiguan, provided the vehicle is fitted ex-works with a R110, RCD300, RCD500,
RNS300 or RNS-MFD DVD.
◆ Vehicles with R110 or RNS300 ex works must be fitted with a second radio aerial when upgrading to a RCD310
or RCD510.
◆ Vehicles without factory-fitted radios must additionally be retro-fitted with radio aerials and loudspeakers.
◆ In the case of the PQ46 with factory-fitted UHV Premium, the UHV-control unit 5N0 035 730 is required and must
be retro-fitted if necessary ⇒ vehicle repair manual.
◆ After fitting the original equipment radio, the vehicle must finally be coded for operation with radio RCD 210, 310
or 510 using a vehicle diagnostics, measuring and information system.
◆ Secure the wires so that they cannot come into contact with any rotating or other moving parts and so that they
cannot chafe on any sharp metal or plastic edges.
◆ All rights to make technical changes reserved.
1.1 Removing the radio
Applies to: all vehicles
− Switch off the ignition and all electrical equipment.
− Remove the radio from the vehicle.
⇒ Vehicle electronics, communications; repair group 91; infotainment
Note
Dependent on the vehicle, it may be necessary to undo the existing wires to the radio system (power supply and
aerial wire) from their brackets or fastenings in order to permit the remaining work steps to be implemented.
1.2 Changing the pin allocations in the quadlock plug
Applies to: all radios
Does not apply to: vehicles with radio R 110 or vehicles with factory-fitted 3rd generation radios.
Note
Existing wiring is not illustrated below for reasons of clarity.
The pin allocations of the quadlock plug in vehicles fitted with R 110 need not be changed for operation with an RCD
radio. In all other vehicles the allocations must be changed in accordance with the fitted radio / radio navigation
system and in accordance with the following tables.
Dependent on vehicle accessories, not all contacts in the quadlock plug are fitted, and in this case need not be changed.
You can use the free table column “completed” to tick-off the alterations as you make them.
Page 2 - fig. 1
Please see the section on page 3, “Removing and dismantling single plugs”, for details on removal and fitting of the
contacts in plugs -B- und -C-.
To change the occupancy from -D- to -C- the phone mute adapter must be used (7L6 051 442, not supplied). Please
see the section on page 3, “Fitting the phone mute adapter” for details on use of the adapter.
A listing of the Quadlock plug occupancy for the RNS 510 can be found in appendix 1.6, page 16.
− Carry out the changes to the quadlock plug occupancy in accordance with the table and tick off the completed
alterations in the table column “completed”.
Removing and dismantling single plugs:
Page 3 - fig. 1
− Press the latch upwards -arrow A- and pull the green plug -1- out of the quadlock plug.
− Press the latch upwards -arrow B- and pull the blue plug -2- out of the quadlock plug.
− Release the green or blue plug -arrow C- and pull the bay contact housing -3- out -arrow D-.
The contacts can be pressed out of the bay contact housing -3- using a release tool from the wiring harness repair
kit -VAS 1978- and clicked into their new locations in accordance with the table.
− Assembly is carried out in reverse.
Note
Plugs -1- and -2- are coded and can only be fitted in one position in the quadlock plug.
Fitting the phone mute adapter:
Page 3 - fig. 2
Note
◆ The phone mute adapter 7L6 051 442 is not supplied, if required please order separately.
◆ To simplify the following step, it may be necessary, dependent on the vehicle, to remove a part of the harness
protective tape from the wiring harness to the quadlock plug.
− Pull the latch -1- out of the quadlock plug.
− Press contact -2- out of chamber D11 -arrow A- using a release tool from the wiring harness repair kit -VAS 1978-.
− Release and separate plug -3- and plug housing -4- of the phone mute adapter and engage contact -2- in plug -3-.
− Push plug -3- and plug housing -4- back together.
− Engage the free contact -5- of the phone mute adapter in chamber C10 -arrow B- of the green plug (see above
“Removing and dismantling single plugs”).
− Attach the phone mute adapter to the vehicle wiring harness with cable winding tape.
− If necessary, renew the removed harness protective tape with cable winding tape to prevent flapping noises.
RCD 300, RCD 500, RNS 300
from PIN to PIN Remark Completed
B2 1) B3 Blue plug
B8 2) B1 Blue plug
B9 2) B7 Blue plug
D11 C10 Use phone mute adapter
1) Only carry out changes in vehicles with a CD changer
2) Only carry out changes in vehicles with a AUX-in
RNS-MFD2 DVD
from PIN to PIN Remark Completed
B2 B3 Blue plug
B3 B2 Blue plug
D11 C10 Use phone mute adapter
1.3 Radio aerial adapter
Does not apply to: vehicles with factory-fitted 3rd generation radio
Page 3 - fig. 3
Note
◆ The radio aerial adapter 7L6 051 551 must be fitted to all vehicles with a factory-fitted 2nd generation radio. It is
not included in the set contents and must be ordered separately.
◆ All plugs and sockets of radio aerials or the corresponding adapters are mechanically and colour coded so that they
cannot be inadvertently interchanged.
◆ The aerial wires of the vehicle, radio aerial adapter must not be damaged or kinked during the subsequent fitting
of the radio. For this reason, the aerial wires must be carefully routed and, if necessary secured to parts of the
vehicle or the existing vehicle wiring harness.
− Fit the radio aerial adapter to the vehicle’s aerial wires.
1.4 Fitting the radio
Note
All plug connectors to the radio are mechanically coded and partially colour coded so that they cannot be
interchanged.
− Fit the quadlock plug and all radio aerial wires to the radio.
− Check all connections to the radio are secure.
− Carefully push the radio into the mounting bay. When doing so, ensure that the wiring is pushed into the free space
in the dashboard and is not squashed or severely bent.
⇒ Vehicle electronics, communications; repair group 91; infotainment
1.5 Coding the radio and carrying out a test drive
− Connect a vehicle diagnosis, measurement and information system to the vehicle’s diagnostics plug.
⇒ Vehicle electronics, wiring; repair group 97; vehicle diagnostics, measurement and information systems
− Encode the radio in accordance with the vehicle accessories fitted, e.g. sound system, etc..
− Disconnect the vehicle diagnostics, measurement and information system.
− Switch on the ignition and check the operation of the radio.
1.6 Appendix: Quadlock plug pin allocations
Page 4 - fig. 1
PIN Occupancy PIN Occupancy
B1 AUX-in left C1 Microphone input -
B2 AUX-in earth C2 AUX-out right
B3 CD earth C3 AUX-out earth
B4 CD changer voltage + C4 Microphone output -
B5 not occupied C5 Telephone signal left -
B6 Bus DATA OUT C6 Telephone signal right -
B7 AUX-in right C7 Microphone input +
B8 CD changer audio left C8 AUX-out left
B9 CD changer audio right C9 Microphone output +
B10 CD changer control signal C10 Telephone MUTE
B11 Bus DATA IN C11 Telephone signal left +
B12 Bus DATA CLOCK C12 Telephone signal right +
D9 CAN High D13 Display CAN Bus -
D10 CAN Low D14 Display CAN Bus +
D11 Amplifier control signal D15 Continuous positive, Kl.30
D12 Earth, Kl.31 D16 Theft protection, SAFE
GT TDI sport 140 08plate,RCD510 DAB, leather armrest, euro cup holder

Offline Degudodger

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 53
  • -Receive: 86
    • Flickr
Re: retro-fitting RCD510 in place of RCD300 with parrot MKi9100
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2013, 07:41:37 pm »
All you will need to do is;
1-Remove old stereo
2-Connect Parrot kit using Audio leads SOT-976 (i will double check this is the correct one)
3-Run power lead from SOT-976 lead to switchable live (i took mine from the fuse box using a Add a circuit adapter, about £3 off ebay)
4-Hide Parrot box and tuck away wires
5-Add RCD510
6-Find the best place to secure the Parrot display
7-Put trim back
8-Get a coffee

No cutting of wires required as long as you use an adapter lead like the SOT-976
2016 Mk7 Golf GTD - Reflex Silver with stuff.

VCDS Hex+Can - Will code for beer!

Offline paulw123

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2013, 10:38:04 am »
thanks for reply.
If the 3rd generation rcd510 has different pin allocations, you would think there would be 2 different SOT leads, but there seems to be only the SOT-976 that you mention. I probably already have this fitted behind the RCD300?

Offline Degudodger

• Thank You
    • Flickr
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2013, 10:44:22 am »
The SOT-976 lead is used to convert ISO to quad lock which is the square plug that fits in the back of the stereo. Apart from needing a new Gateway on pre late 2007 vehicles retrofitted rcd310/rcd510 and Rns/510 head units are pretty much plug and play with no need to change any of the pin outs. Having fitted 4 or so head units I can honestly say I have never needed to change any of the pin locations.

Offline rich83

• Thank You
  • -Given: 165
  • -Receive: 802
    • MK5 Golf GTI
  • My Ride: https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=1ffngknvcns88h2emfb0bucigs&/topic,19740.0.html
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2013, 10:45:58 am »
If you have a parrot connect into the rcd300... then you must have the SOT lead aleady.

Offline Degudodger

• Thank You
    • Flickr
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2013, 11:07:48 am »
What Rich said.  :happy2:

Offline paulw123

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2013, 02:20:40 pm »
thanx guys,
Iam hoping the phone mute adaptor , 7L6 051 442 they mention is for the vw phone setup?, and that the parrot set-up i have will still work ok when i change to the rcd510.

Offline john87

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 11
  • -Receive: 53
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2013, 12:16:02 pm »
I have an RCD510 in my car (not sure which gen it is, think its from 2011) and when I bought the car it had the Parrot 9200 kit fitted. All I did was fit the RCD510 and plug in the quadlock, parrot worked without having to modify any wiring. The only thing is that it doesn't put the headunit into 'mute' mode, therefore if a cd/sd card is playing, it keeps on playing when the Parrot is in use..but its no biggy having to press the 'phone' button to pause  :happy2:
VCDS Hex-USB +CAN (Central Scotland)

Offline paulw123

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2013, 12:52:03 pm »
John87  :happy2: thanks so very very much for your info, i was hoping  there was someelse who had parrot fitted to rcd510.
Parrot tech support emailed me that they would be suprised if changing the headunit would not work.
So all you do is press the phone button on front, then everything mutes? what happens when the call ends, do you press the phone again.
I think it is the phone mute pin that has changed, so i might compare pin numbers on rcd300 to rcd510 when i get them both side by side, then decide if im goimg to move any pins in the SOT adaptor...or not.

Offline john87

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 11
  • -Receive: 53
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2013, 07:22:49 pm »
John87  :happy2: thanks so very very much for your info, i was hoping  there was someelse who had parrot fitted to rcd510.
Parrot tech support emailed me that they would be suprised if changing the headunit would not work.
So all you do is press the phone button on front, then everything mutes? what happens when the call ends, do you press the phone again.
I think it is the phone mute pin that has changed, so i might compare pin numbers on rcd300 to rcd510 when i get them both side by side, then decide if im goimg to move any pins in the SOT adaptor...or not.

You're welcome  :wink: when I press the phone button it either pauses a CD/SD track or mutes the radio... however the parrot kit mutes the sound regardless of whether you press the 'Phone' button. The only reason I press the phone button is so I can hear a CD/SD track from where it left off. I think there is a way of getting the Parrot to interact with the headunit to 'Pause' a track (i.e. having the same effect as pressing the phone button) but I haven't figured that out  :grin:
VCDS Hex-USB +CAN (Central Scotland)

Offline paulw123

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2013, 10:03:31 am »

Offline paulw123

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2013, 09:25:35 am »
So finally fitted rdc510dab with pattor in place of rcd300. The bottom 2 sockets , phone & accersories, where not used. It was a simple plug & play job, most trouble i had was with air vent slats which exploded as i removed the outer trim. Must have took me 2hours trying to get it all back together & working, so fiddley...