Make a donation

Author Topic: New Renaultsport Clio  (Read 1674 times)

Offline Deako

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 38
  • -Receive: 44
  • Eat, Sleep....VAG
New Renaultsport Clio
« on: February 15, 2013, 08:22:59 am »
Ok, ignore the fact its got the wrong amount of doors for a second. The full press release can be read here.

http://www.newspress.co.uk/public/ViewPressRelease.aspx?pr=41343&pr_ref=13074

I'd like to draw your attention to 2 sections on the press release.

RS Drive
R.S. DRIVE: ‘A LA CARTE’ PERFORMANCE

Pressing the ‘R.S. Drive’ button modifies the mapping of both the transmission (gear shift programming and shift time) and engine (response to pedal position and engine pitch). It also alters the way the ESC and ASR traction control intervene, as well as the feel of the power steering.

This system is based on a choice of three very different modes (‘Normal’, ‘Sport’ and ‘Race’) which modify New Clio Renaultsport 200 Turbo’s performance characteristics as a function of the driver’s wishes, needs or usage. As a result, the latest Clio Renaultsport is truly several cars in one.

The gear shift programming depends on a number of vehicle-related parameters (accelerator pedal position, pressure on the brake pedal, steering wheel angle), as well as on road conditions (slope, available grip, etc.). Gear shift speeds are also dependent on the load demanded by the accelerator pedal.

R.S. Drive modes ‘Normal’ ‘Sport’ ‘Race’
Engine       
Tick-over speed 750rpm 1,005rpm 1,005rpm
Accelerator pedal feel Comfort Dynamic Dynamic
Pedal feel Progressive Reduced lag Reduced lag
Engine pitch   Heightened Heightened
R.S.: audible shift warning before engine cut-off (in manual EDC mode) No Yes (manual mode) Yes (manual mode)
‘Ambilight’ No Gradient colour light Gradient colour light
Transmission       
Gear shift programming with ‘Drive’ selected Eco / Comfort Sport: appropriate corrections (e.g. anticipates downshifts) Entirely manual
Gear shift times with ‘Drive’ or ‘Manual’ selected Progressive Fast Very fast (less than 150ms)
Launch Control No Yes Yes
Chassis         
Power steering Soft feel / drive comfort Firm Firm
ESC + ASR traction control Normal / Safety Sport: sliding accepted Fully disconnected: no influence

PERFECTLY OPTIMISED STARTS THANKS TO LAUNCH CONTROL

Thanks to Launch Control, New Clio Renaultsport 200 Turbo fully automates the management of standing starts when the car is used at a circuit. Smart electronics guarantee the fastest possible getaway, in complete safety. With this function selected, and by optimising all the different parameters involved, New Clio Renaultsport 200 Turbo is capable of leaping off the start line far more efficiently than even the most talented driver could ever do.

Extremely simple to use

The Launch Control system is primed by pressing on the brake with the left foot while at the same time pulling on the two gearshift paddles situated behind the steering wheel. The system’s activation is confirmed by a message on the dashboard (“Launch Control On”) and an orange flashing ‘ambilight’ (if function ‘authorised’). When the accelerator is fully depressed with the car at a standstill, the engine revs to 2,500rpm.

‘Sport’ mode: When the brake is released, the system optimises its acceleration while wheel spin is controlled by the ASR traction control. Gears shifts are also optimised.

‘Race’ mode: the ASR traction control is disconnected and gear shifts are entirely manual. This ‘expert’ mode is efficient when grip is optimal, but it is also much more demanding in terms of car control.

In order to protect the mechanicals, the Launch Control system is constantly monitored by the car’s electronics which may temporarily prevent it from triggering.

In race mode its fully manual gear changes and no influence, completely disconnected, ESC and ASR.

RS Monitor 2.0
R-LINK FOR UPGRADED R.S. MONITOR 2.0

R.S. Monitor accentuates its lead with the introduction of a new version 2.0. Now even more attractive and more technically advanced, it stands out as the market’s most comprehensive on board telemetry system for a production road car.

“R.S. Monitor 2.0’s particularly extensive list of functions, including data logging, plus the storage and sharing of data using a USB stick, opens up endless possibilities. Equipped with R-Link, there is nothing on the market to rival it. The scope of the new 2.0 version and the passion that went into the project are typical of Renault Sport’s unique approach.”
Pierre Papin (R.S. Monitor Electronics Architect, Renault Sport Technologies)

Comprehensive and fun

R.S. Monitor 2.0’s customisable display uses dials, histograms and highly visual graphics to provide the following data in real-time:

■Torque, power, water temperature, intake air temperature, turbo pressure, throttle valve aperture, brake pressure, steering wheel angle, engine speed, transmission oil temperature, temperature of EDC clutches, wheel torque, etc.
■Performance data (acceleration times from standstill to 50kph and 100kph; 400m and 1,000m standing start times; 100kph to standstill braking times).
■G Force Diagram: longitudinal and lateral acceleration, with display of maximum recorded values. Screenshots can be saved on a USB stick.
■Wheel spin (expressed as a percentage) of driven wheels.
■Torque and power curves and position of real-time values on the curves.
■Graphic display showing the EDC transmission internals: selected gear, pre-selected gear, clutch temperature.
■Stop watch, either manual or activated automatically by GPS system (track layout uploadable from a USB stick).
■Servicing: provides distances covered by tyres, dampers, brake pads and discs since their fitment.
■Driving tips in text form.
■Car settings:
■‘Shift light’: adjusts the timing of gear shift indications.
■‘Steering’: forces use of either the ‘Normal’ or ‘Sport’ modes.
■Data logger: R.S. Monitor 2.0 can record all the parameters displayed during a session at a circuit and match them to the corresponding GPS coordinates. This makes it possible to read them on a computer. The car’s position can be displayed on a map (satellite view) along with a dynamic display of all associated driving parameters. Everything can be recorded: an hour’s driving can be stored in a single 3MB file. The results can be viewed using software that will be available to customers at a later date.
Finally, it is possible to prepare track sessions by saving track layouts onto the USB stick. Renaultsport proposes a number of preset circuit layouts, while the users’ community can pool the layouts produced by other users to produce a shared circuit database. During media road tests, visit “in preview”: http://rsreplay.renaultsport.fr

In 2009, Renaultsport used the display and audio controls of Mégane Renaultsport to propose R.S. Monitor. The first use of ‘telemetry’ for a sports hatch, this fun, easy-to-use system was an instant hit. In 2012, R.S. Monitor was specified on almost 30% of Twingo Renaultsport orders, more than 40% of Clio R.S. orders and more than 50% of Mégane Renaultsport orders.

These are the gadgets that people want from their track cars.

All hail Renault. I really like the new Clio, just SO SO SO SO wish they had done a 3dr version. HUGE omission. And the only reason i will not consider buying one.

Offline MAT ED30

• Thank You
  • -Given: 25
  • -Receive: 82
  • Vwr fan boy
    • Email
Re: New Renaultsport Clio
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2013, 08:58:12 am »
Wow you really are strange person deako it's a 5 door and its practical you are missing out on cars to own if you hate 5 doors I love 3 doors but ffs get over it with your 5 door hate  :rolleye:

Mods yes but way too many to stick in this little box

Offline camfollower

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 10
  • -Receive: 31
  • Cam follower awareness.
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2013, 09:16:31 am »
Some hatchbacks look awkward in 5 door versions, but this Clio looks like a 3 door, really don't see the issue.  The rear door is moulded into the rear quarter, it's a very nice design.

Offline rich83

• Thank You
  • -Given: 165
  • -Receive: 802
    • MK5 Golf GTI
  • My Ride: https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=vc4mkvjbi1d3ejui8kutesv1m8&/topic,19740.0.html
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2013, 09:46:27 am »
It should be a manual box or at least have the option. I don't think many Clio 3 RS drivers will be in a hurry to trade in for one of these.

Offline Deako

• Thank You
  • Eat, Sleep....VAG
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2013, 09:49:12 am »
Wow you really are strange person deako it's a 5 door and its practical you are missing out on cars to own if you hate 5 doors I love 3 doors but ffs get over it with your 5 door hate  :rolleye:

Why should i? Its personal preference? Dont tell you to stop fancying men do i?  :wink: :signLOL:

I think rear shut lines ruin the shape of a hatchback. I am allowed to think this. I dont have kids and rarely have passengers in the rear of my cars.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2013, 09:51:50 am by Deako »

Offline MAT ED30

• Thank You
  • Vwr fan boy
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2013, 10:07:10 am »
Well your missing out so  :P I hated 5 doors when I was younger but it's just one of those things when you need room and have a busy life it helps. What about avants do you like them ?

Offline Hedge

• Thank You
  • -Given: 484
  • -Receive: 304
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2013, 10:12:22 am »
Oh FFS you two get a room.  :wink:

Offline Deako

• Thank You
  • Eat, Sleep....VAG
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2013, 10:20:59 am »
Well your missing out so  :P I hated 5 doors when I was younger but it's just one of those things when you need room and have a busy life it helps. What about avants do you like them ?

I do, but would probably never have a practical need for one. Instead of an A4 id buy an A5 for example. If i need to carry MTBs, i just use roof rails and cycle carriers. I do get annoyed at the difficulty of transporting our dogs, but as they are small i can fit a crate in the back of most hatchbacks that both dogs can fit in.

Offline MAT ED30

• Thank You
  • Vwr fan boy
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2013, 10:32:24 am »
Oh FFS you two get a room.  :wink:

Only if u join in  :signLOL:

Offline Hedge

• Thank You
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2013, 12:09:05 pm »
Now you're talking.  :party:

Offline rich83

• Thank You
  • -Given: 165
  • -Receive: 802
    • MK5 Golf GTI
  • My Ride: https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=vc4mkvjbi1d3ejui8kutesv1m8&/topic,19740.0.html
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2013, 12:09:53 pm »
Off topic by the first page....  surprise surprise!

Offline Hedge

• Thank You
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2013, 12:13:17 pm »
Off topic by the first page....  surprise surprise!

Calm down Cilla.  :P

Offline Deako

• Thank You
  • Eat, Sleep....VAG
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2013, 12:27:42 pm »
So, anyway. Ignoring my dislike for 5dr hatchbacks.

What does everyone think of the gadge?

The ability for community based layouts for various circuits is cool. It's going to be like having Harry's Lap Timer built right in!!!

Offline Poverty

• Thank You
  • -Given: 36
  • -Receive: 21
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2013, 03:06:08 pm »
Shift time is a bit slow compared to other double clutch boxes isn't it?

Offline Deako

• Thank You
  • Eat, Sleep....VAG
« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2013, 03:18:53 pm »
It does seem slow in the normal driving mode yes.