Make a donation

Author Topic: De-badging?  (Read 2438 times)

Offline craig_GTI

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 18
  • -Receive: 2
    • Email
De-badging?
« on: February 16, 2013, 12:10:16 am »
Alright peeps :)

Got a dilemma on my hands, just ordered my self one of these flush grommets to de-wiper the rear and was thinkin to tidy up the rear a little more was the get rid of the GTI badge.. What are people's thoughts on this? Anyone done it? Pics?

Thanks, Craig.

This is the grommet, never seen these before, always just used the black raised ones..

Tornado red mk5 Golf GTI 5 door.

Offline Matto

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 24
  • -Receive: 116
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,37071.0.html
Re: De-badging?
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2013, 12:19:38 am »
I do agree de-badging does tidy up the rear. Here is mine.

« Last Edit: February 16, 2013, 12:22:42 am by Matto »

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 380
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2013, 12:25:22 am »

Got a dilemma on my hands, just ordered my self one of these flush grommets to de-wiper the rear and was thinkin to tidy up the rear a little more was the get rid of the GTI badge.. What are people's thoughts on this? Anyone done it? Pics?

Thanks, Craig.

....Hi Craig,

I think you've gotta do whatever you like best. You'll probably find that some folks like de-badging and others don't like it and neither are right or wrong - It's a personal preference thing.

Personally, as you are asking people, unless you are running a full-on race car I think it's actually stupid to get rid of the rear wiper on a hatchback because it will reduce your visibility.

Also, personally I think that the GTI badge has a lot of heritage and is something to be proud of. The same applies to the VW badges. But each to their own.  :smiley:

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline craig_GTI

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 18
  • -Receive: 2
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2013, 12:27:03 am »
Looks good  :happy2: very shiny  :drool:
Tornado red mk5 Golf GTI 5 door.

Offline sub39h

• Thank You
  • -Given: 189
  • -Receive: 84
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2013, 07:18:44 am »
Also, personally I think that the GTI badge has a lot of heritage and is something to be proud of. The same applies to the VW badges. But each to their own.  :smiley:

not sure Nazi history is something to be proud of!

but I agree with RR, it's a personal preference thing, and it is car dependent as well. the GTI badge is subtle and cool
2006 Phantom Black A3 2.0T S-Line
DSG | Rear Parking Sensors | MFSW | BOSE | Auto lights/wipers | Half leather
MODS : '09 tail lights | TT vents | Bilstein B14 | RNS-E 2010 | AMI | AKS Tuning custom CAI | Titanium BBS VZs | NQS BBK | WALK | Autotech RARB | Bluemotion aero | Blueflame TBE | Autotech HPFP | MY11 Wing Mirrors | Bluetooth | S3 Intercooler
PLANS: Stage 2+

Offline sanj

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 17
  • -Receive: 26
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2013, 08:16:39 am »

Thanks, Craig.

....Hi Craig,

I think you've gotta do whatever you like best. You'll probably find that some folks like de-badging and others don't like it and neither are right or wrong - It's a personal preference thing.

Personally, as you are asking people, unless you are running a full-on race car I think it's actually stupid to get rid of the rear wiper on a hatchback because it will reduce your visibility.

Nuff said! :smiley:

Offline Matto

• Thank You
  • -Given: 24
  • -Receive: 116
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,37071.0.html
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2013, 08:18:19 am »
Yeah the GTI badge isn't bad looking. Nice and discreet. Mine had Golf one side and 2.0 TDI the other which I did think looked quite messy. Why it never got badged as a GTD I don't know.

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2013, 08:18:49 am »

not sure Nazi history is something to be proud of!

but I agree with RR, it's a personal preference thing, and it is car dependent as well. the GTI badge is subtle and cool

....I think that if you felt that strongly about Hitler being responsible for being the midwife of Ferdinand Porsche's birth of the Volks Wagen, then you wouldn't buy a Volkswagen or even possibly anything made in Germany at all.

In WWII my English father fought Rommel in North Africa.... Then fought in Sicily and Italy, ending in the liberation of Greece where he met my Greek mother. Greece had been under Nazi occupation for several years and in fact my mother's uncle was shot by a Nazi firing squad for collaborating. So, you could easily forgive my parents for being anti German - But they weren't, and they had several Volkswagens: A white Mk1, a Camper, and a red Mk1 Scirocco (all lefthand drive because they lived in Europe). My father had seen and experienced first hand in WWII how good German engineering was!!

One of my close friends is Bavarian and her father was one of Mr Hitler's drivers during WWII - That doesn't make her a Nazi. She drives a BMW Mini Cooper S and lives in England.

But we agree with each other about the GTI badge subtlety and about ETTO  :happy2:
« Last Edit: February 16, 2013, 08:21:51 am by RedRobin »

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline gulfstream11

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 13
  • -Receive: 19
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2013, 08:44:16 am »
I would,nt do it for the reasons RR said but do admire the look.. Does that make sense?.As for the heritage quote.I wear a Hugo Boss suit and he designed the SS uniform.. :scared:

Offline MC71

• Thank You
  • -Given: 413
  • -Receive: 427
  • Mk7 R
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,113185.0.html
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2013, 10:13:04 am »

Thanks, Craig.

If your going for the "clean" look then yes, de badge your GTI, will look good. Have seen a few of the glass inserts and they are very good, not my sort of thing but goes to the whole look so go for it.

Being a chavy SOD I've added bling to the back of mine with new GTI Badge, Edition 30 badge and a Rabbit.  :jumpmove:

Build thread Stage 2+ Edition 30 ~~Clicky here~~

Offline divweir

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 4
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2013, 10:15:29 am »
Keep it on
Sig to big.

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2013, 12:21:55 pm »

I would,nt do it for the reasons RR said but do admire the look.. Does that make sense?.As for the heritage quote.I wear a Hugo Boss suit and he designed the SS uniform.. :scared:

....The SS and Nazi identity is enormously impressive from a corporate identity point of view and extended to many things including architecture. It's only people's associations with the horrors that followed in the death camps etc which make the Nazi identity so repulsive to many. Anyway, they were not the first or last people to behave so murderously and the Jews/Israelis aren't so squeaky clean either. It's the worst side of 'humanity' regardless of race or nation.

Some folks go as far as acknowledging VW's WWII heritage...........

^ On a nicely turned out VeeDub at a meet.

Offline rich83

• Thank You
  • -Given: 165
  • -Receive: 802
    • MK5 Golf GTI
  • My Ride: https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=ogjlvav8nvde0losdgv6u3f44f&/topic,19740.0.html
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2013, 12:23:57 pm »

Offline homesqueeze

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 32
  • -Receive: 42
  • Got another Golf!
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2013, 04:15:34 pm »

Thanks, Craig.

If your going for the "clean" look then yes, de badge your GTI, will look good. Have seen a few of the glass inserts and they are very good, not my sort of thing but goes to the whole look so go for it.

Being a chavy SOD I've added bling to the back of mine with new GTI Badge, Edition 30 badge and a Rabbit.  :jumpmove:

Just out of interest, what does the new GTI badge like?
'16 MK7 Golf 1.4TSI Match Edition

Offline MC71

• Thank You
  • -Given: 413
  • -Receive: 427
  • Mk7 R
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,113185.0.html
« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2013, 04:43:38 pm »
^^^^
 exactly the same as the previous one, slightly curved, same size and very VERY shlny. IIRC it's the same P/N for the Mk5 and Mk6 GTI badge, 1K0 853 675 N 739.

Build thread Stage 2+ Edition 30 ~~Clicky here~~