Make a donation

Author Topic: The Death of Common Sense  (Read 1781 times)

Offline Tortaruga

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 36
  • -Receive: 105
The Death of Common Sense
« on: February 17, 2013, 01:01:52 pm »
Today we mourn the passing of a beloved old friend, Common Sense, who has been with us for many years. No one knows for sure how old he was, since his birth records were long ago lost in bureaucratic red tape.

He will be remembered as having cultivated such valuable lessons as: Knowing when to come in out of the rain; Why the early bird gets the worm; Life isn’t always fair, and Maybe it was my fault.

Common Sense lived by simple, sound financial policies (don’t spend more than you can earn) and reliable strategies (adults, not children, are in charge). His health began to deteriorate rapidly when well-intentioned but overbearing regulations were set in place.

Reports of a 6-year-old boy being charged with sexual harassment for kissing a female classmate; teens suspended from school for using mouthwash after lunch; and when a Teacher was fired for reprimanding unruly students… only worsened his condition.

Common Sense lost ground when parents verbally attacked & sued teachers for doing the job that they themselves had failed to do in disciplining their rude, unruly & out of control children.

It declined even further when schools were required to get parental consent to administer sun lotion or an aspirin to a student; but could not inform parents when a student became pregnant and wanted an abortion.

Common Sense lost the will to live as the Churches became businesses; and when courts became more concerned about the convicted criminal’s rights and the convicts began to receive better treatment than the victims of their crimes.
Did anyone see this? This was a letter sent and printed in The Times:

Common Sense took a beating when one could be prosecuted for defending yourself from a burglar in your own home; and the yet burglar could sue you for assault.  He finally went into a coma after a woman failed to realize that a steaming cup of coffee was hot. She spilled a little in her lap and was promptly awarded a huge out-of-court settlement.

Common Sense was preceded in death by his parents, Truth and Trust; and by his wife, Discretion; by his daughter, Responsibility and by his son, Reason.

He is survived by his five (5) stepbrothers: I Know my Rights; I Want It Now; It’s not my Fault;  But I’m a Victim and The Government Owes it to Me (AKA What About Me?).

Not many attended his funeral because so few realized he was gone.
'07 Red manual

Offline stealthwolf

• Thank You
  • -Given: 306
  • -Receive: 291
  • ED30 No.1412
    • Email
Re: The Death of Common Sense
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2013, 05:59:46 pm »
Completely agree with the above post.
 :drinking:

The GTI isn't just a machine. It's very much a living, breathing thing.

Offline Ted

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2013, 06:04:36 pm »
RIP Common Sense! Will be missed!

Offline MC71

• Thank You
  • -Given: 413
  • -Receive: 427
  • Mk7 R
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,113185.0.html
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2013, 06:10:38 pm »
Sad but true.

Build thread Stage 2+ Edition 30 ~~Clicky here~~

Offline Hurdy

• Thank You
  • -Given: 52
  • -Receive: 137
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2013, 07:25:34 pm »
I thought there were 7 stepbrothers. The ones missing are political correctness and Eurocratic regulations! :fighting:
Golf R gone.

Offline doylebros

• Thank You
  • -Given: 44
  • -Receive: 309
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2013, 09:46:54 pm »
I recognised the judge the right honourable no win no fee!

Offline Kalpsn2000

• Thank You
  • -Given: 10
  • -Receive: 56
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2013, 12:11:45 pm »
Great Post :happy2:

RIP Common Sense :sad1:
Diamond Black 2007 (56) Golf GTI 3Dr DSG ¦ 18" Monza II's ¦ Cruise control ¦ MFSW ¦ Highline ¦ Rear parking sensors ¦ PDT Stage 1 ¦ Forge Twintake ¦ H&R Sport Springs ¦ NQSBBK ¦ R32 Rear bumper ¦ BCS Powervalve Sports R32 style TBE ¦ Valeo LED Rear Lights ¦ Xenon lights with HID kit ¦ DNX521DAB ¦ 12mm Spacers all round ¦

Offline andrewparker

• Thank You
  • -Given: 32
  • -Receive: 78
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2013, 12:42:53 pm »
There is one rather daft point in there though...

Offline sub39h

• Thank You
  • -Given: 189
  • -Receive: 84
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2013, 01:14:11 pm »
this is at least 4 years old:

http://blueloucartoons.blogspot.co.uk/2009/02/obituary-printed-in-london-times-chan.html

the article posted also seems to rebut most points, or is unable to find any truth in them.

don't get me wrong, i do agree that common sense is dead, and should be mourned. but an old chain letter isn't going to do anything about it.
2006 Phantom Black A3 2.0T S-Line
DSG | Rear Parking Sensors | MFSW | BOSE | Auto lights/wipers | Half leather
MODS : '09 tail lights | TT vents | Bilstein B14 | RNS-E 2010 | AMI | AKS Tuning custom CAI | Titanium BBS VZs | NQS BBK | WALK | Autotech RARB | Bluemotion aero | Blueflame TBE | Autotech HPFP | MY11 Wing Mirrors | Bluetooth | S3 Intercooler
PLANS: Stage 2+

Offline cmdrfire

• Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 14
    • Commander Fire - my blog
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2013, 06:38:48 pm »
Actually the "hot coffee" McDonald's settlement is more complex than "stupid woman spills coffee and sues".
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liebeck_v._McDonald%27s_Restaurants

So it's probably not the best example, but because of the popular misconception becomes a good whipping-horse (is that a phrase?)

I thought there were 7 stepbrothers. The ones missing are political correctness and Eurocratic regulations! :fighting:

EU regulations are a vital point to industry and benefits everyone (even if they're a major pain in the ass).

/semi-regular troll post

Offline Horatio

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 23
  • -Receive: 39
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2013, 07:17:42 am »
2007 Black Magic DSG Golf GTI Edition 30. No.1231
.:R32 "milk and juice come in 2 litres"
I run a dirty campervan, need scrubbers