Make a donation

Author Topic: Idle speed and coldstart issues on Edition 30..Terraclean to resolve..  (Read 27362 times)

Offline Hedge

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 484
  • -Receive: 304
Re: Idle speed and coldstart issues on Edition 30..Terraclean to resolve..
« Reply #75 on: February 22, 2013, 09:21:43 pm »
 :indifferent:

Saintsteve

« Reply #76 on: February 23, 2013, 02:43:25 pm »
Well had the car done.. Early days yet, but I can confirm it starts faster from warm, feels smoother on power delivery at any given point on the throttle. Won't know just yet on mpg as its too early to tell.
Looking at the misfire count, after 5 minutes of idling, it managed just 6 misfires in total over that period, compared to when I first found out, I had nearly 50 misfires within 1 minute.
After going for a blast , the crap in the exhaust has stained my gravel driveway  :laugh:..

Overall , seems worth a go but unsure with regard to the inlet track as the two canisters are designed for Red (fuel system) and black (combustion).i sort of got the impression I knew more about the TFSi engine then the Actual guy from Terraclean  :scared:

Offline JMP

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 3
« Reply #77 on: February 23, 2013, 05:52:53 pm »
If I was you, I would also try the "italian tuneup" which is also what VW recommends. Drive 20-30 minutes with rpm atleast over 3500, so use low gear on highway. This should bring up the inlet valve temperatures to burn away some sh*t. I tend to do this once or twice a year and I have zero misfires. Dont know how my valves look like but engine works ok. I just passed 100kkm, so its not that old but just throwing out an extra idea.

Saintsteve

« Reply #78 on: February 23, 2013, 06:42:08 pm »
If I was you, I would also try the "italian tuneup" which is also what VW recommends. Drive 20-30 minutes with rpm atleast over 3500, so use low gear on highway. This should bring up the inlet valve temperatures to burn away some sh*t. I tend to do this once or twice a year and I have zero misfires. Dont know how my valves look like but engine works ok. I just passed 100kkm, so its not that old but just throwing out an extra idea.

Tried this half dozen times, and it didn't do a thing (apart from drinking stacks of fuel lol) and why had to try something else.

Certainly saved me from cost of new injector and inlet manifold removal costs.

Offline martziniuk

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 25
  • -Receive: 18
    • Email
« Reply #79 on: February 23, 2013, 07:09:10 pm »

Tried this half dozen times, and it didn't do a thing (apart from drinking stacks of fuel lol) and why had to try something else.

I wouldn't bank on it.
I had the same issue when I was on stock injectors but mine was cylinder 3. It was fine when warm but misfired when cold. After the K04 conversion with new injectors the misfire completly disappeared.
Mk2 Octavia vRS with K04 conversion, 3"TBE & Decat, APR HPFP, BDM Intake, S3 I/C, Sachs clutch & Unicorn custom map, S3 brakes, AP coilovers, THS mounts.

B8.5 Audi S4 with uprated pulley and unicorn Stage 2

Saintsteve

« Reply #80 on: February 23, 2013, 08:44:11 pm »

I wouldn't bank on it.
I had the same issue when I was on stock injectors but mine was cylinder 3. It was fine when warm but misfired when cold. After the K04 conversion with new injectors the misfire completly disappeared.

I read on briskoda that you just changed your injectors and didn't bother cleaning your inlet valves out and your car is fine now??

so if that's the case, if Terraclean didn't clean where it should then, I've got nothing to worry about?  :confused:

At least I know that the fuel system and combustion/exhaust system with sports cat would of flushed out, well looking at my tail pipes, its extremely black now :grin:

« Last Edit: February 23, 2013, 08:47:32 pm by Saintsteve »

Offline E30Dom

• Thank You
  • -Given: 42
  • -Receive: 76
« Reply #81 on: February 23, 2013, 08:46:24 pm »
The terraclean is suppose to clean injectors?
Diesel Daily Hack.

Saintsteve

« Reply #82 on: February 23, 2013, 08:48:26 pm »
The terraclean is suppose to clean injectors?

Yes the red can treats the fuel system from the fuel rail, and the black can does the Combustion/exhaust side.

The cars fuel and return are blocked off and the contents of the cars are pressurised to I think 40psi I think.

I asked the question to the operative about this not reaching the intake valves, and his answer was at that pressure it will because its under pressure and the molecular reaction will do enough...

I think different as I read that Terraclean offer an intake Carboniser which my Rep didn't see need for it.. Jury's well out on that but I wasn't gonna stand and call him a pleb... :mad:

We shall see how it goes.. :happy2:
« Last Edit: February 23, 2013, 09:05:59 pm by Saintsteve »

Offline Hedge

• Thank You
  • -Given: 484
  • -Receive: 304
« Reply #83 on: February 23, 2013, 09:10:41 pm »
40psi = 2.8 bar

Your fuel line runs at approx 115bar.  :happy2:

Offline martziniuk

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 25
  • -Receive: 18
    • Email
« Reply #84 on: February 23, 2013, 10:08:02 pm »

I wouldn't bank on it.

I read on briskoda that you just changed your injectors and didn't bother cleaning your inlet valves out and your car is fine now??

so if that's the case, if Terraclean didn't clean where it should then, I've got nothing to worry about?  :confused:

At least I know that the fuel system and combustion/exhaust system with sports cat would of flushed out, well looking at my tail pipes, its extremely black now :grin:

Correct, I tried but gave up on cleaning the valves, it was stuck like tar!!
My car runs spot on now, after I replaced the faulty secondhand K04 injector grrr.
If you use a good quality fuel such as vpower they contain a good quantity of detergent so you should never need fuel line cleaning additive.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2013, 10:11:36 pm by martziniuk »
Mk2 Octavia vRS with K04 conversion, 3"TBE & Decat, APR HPFP, BDM Intake, S3 I/C, Sachs clutch & Unicorn custom map, S3 brakes, AP coilovers, THS mounts.

B8.5 Audi S4 with uprated pulley and unicorn Stage 2

Saintsteve

« Reply #85 on: February 24, 2013, 09:38:48 am »
This mornings Cold morning start up.

I can confirm, misfire has now gone and car idles like a dream. Problem resolved :drinking:

Draw your own conclusion, but I'm satisfied that the Terraclean treatment has made a big difference to sorting out my cold start and misfire issue. :happy2:

Offline E30Dom

• Thank You
  • -Given: 42
  • -Receive: 76
« Reply #86 on: February 24, 2013, 01:12:50 pm »
What fuel do you use Steve?

Happy Birthday btw! :-)
Diesel Daily Hack.

Offline vRSAlex

• Admin
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 39
  • -Receive: 253
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,19941.0.html
« Reply #87 on: February 24, 2013, 01:48:05 pm »
After 10k or so my inlets are getting gungy again even after I removed my valves and fully cleaned the ports:

I cant find th pics I took after 10k of the ports again.  I run a catch can so imo these make bugger all difference to keeping the ports clean.
www.akstuning.co.uk - info@akstuning.com - 01234 822324
Follow AKS tuning on Facebook

Saintsteve

« Reply #88 on: February 24, 2013, 02:51:37 pm »
What fuel do you use Steve?

Happy Birthday btw! :-)

99 Momemtum tesco  :happy2:

Offline ArildStavrum

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 16
  • -Receive: 8
« Reply #89 on: February 26, 2013, 02:43:56 pm »
This mornings Cold morning start up.

I can confirm, misfire has now gone and car idles like a dream. Problem resolved :drinking:

Draw your own conclusion, but I'm satisfied that the Terraclean treatment has made a big difference to sorting out my cold start and misfire issue. :happy2:

any update in the last couple of days?

Im considering having the terraclean treatment in the next few weeks.
Been quoted £100 in Hammersmith, near me in London.