Make a donation

Author Topic: Stretched tyres??  (Read 15351 times)

Offline Littlerick

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
Stretched tyres??
« on: February 18, 2013, 08:57:23 pm »
I was just wandering if I have done a right thing or not I've just fitted to my mk5 gti Toyo proxes t1-s 215/35/18 to my 9.5j wheel and they are really stretched has anyone had problems with stretched tyres on here that could give me a few pointers like rights or wrongs they do look real well on the car but just hoping I don't run into to many problems  :driver:

Offline Hedge

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 484
  • -Receive: 304
Re: Stretched tyres??
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2013, 10:18:33 pm »
So did you deliberately put 215's on a 9.5J wheel?

Offline jedi-knight83

• Thank You
  • -Given: 12
  • -Receive: 41
    • Cambridge Autogleam Detailing
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2013, 10:20:39 pm »
215 on a 9.5 is a big stretch. Ive got 225 on an 8 and my friend has 215 on an 8.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2013, 10:26:36 pm by jedi-knight83 »
Golf GTI DSG "ED30 Tribute" - RTech: 254bhp / 323lbft | MK6 GTI DSG S.Wheel | MK6 GTI speedo | MK6 climate | RCD510DAB | Bluetooth | Milltek Cat back | H&R Springs & Rear ARB | WALK | 19" BBS CH | MK7R 340mm brakes - INFO

Offline MC71

• Thank You
  • -Given: 413
  • -Receive: 427
  • Mk7 R
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,113185.0.html
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2013, 10:38:49 pm »
Did you put the wrong tyres on the wheels on purpose! Why?? 

Tyre pressure is VERY important, avoid potholes and don't go on track days.

Build thread Stage 2+ Edition 30 ~~Clicky here~~

Offline rich83

• Thank You
  • -Given: 165
  • -Receive: 802
    • MK5 Golf GTI
  • My Ride: https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=qvtpp8bfq78vofo4gd3uu8qh0q&/topic,19740.0.html
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2013, 10:41:44 pm »
Too much stretch that. Id have those tyres off the rims in seconds... 

Offline jonnym

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 40
  • -Receive: 22
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2013, 10:48:53 pm »
I'd say too much but obviously depends on the look you want. Saying that safety should come first as the jury is still out on the safety of tyre stretch full stop!!

As a point of comparison....i've got 8.5j to the front 215/35 and 9.5j rear, running 225/40. The tyres does look stretched but it is very low key. Looks more like well fitted tyres than anything else.
@PSW - "Candy white ones are the nicest and fastest"

Offline chrisr763

• Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 62
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2013, 10:50:52 pm »
Welcome to the forum! I would like to see said stretch. But I do advise going with wider tyres. Toyo's are the strechers favourite as they go wide  :ashamed:

Offline chowgar

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 23
  • -Receive: 6
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2013, 12:29:57 pm »

How does everyones insurers take stretched tyres?

Offline jonnym

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2013, 01:13:46 pm »

Dealt with under 'aftermarket' wheels....but they didn't really care tbh. They told me they compare it to having different tyre makes so aren't fussed! Kinda strange but hey

Offline RedED30

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 19
  • -Receive: 3
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2013, 04:35:02 pm »
I'd say too much but obviously depends on the look you want. Saying that safety should come first as the jury is still out on the safety of tyre stretch full stop!!

As a point of comparison....i've got 8.5j to the front 215/35 and 9.5j rear, running 225/40. The tyres does look stretched but it is very low key. Looks more like well fitted tyres than anything else.

I share the same size combination as this, you must be running odd offset wheels/very low to need the additional mm's provided by this.

I would not be stretching a tyre that far and i'd be wary of if the fitter could get it on the rim, that would be a total pain to mount.
Revo Stage2 - With Linear Throttle
Revo DSG
BCS Turboback Powervalve - This is a must.
ITG Closed Intake.. wooosh

Here to enjoy and help, with a hint of sarcasm, please do not be offended

Offline E30Dom

• Thank You
  • -Given: 42
  • -Receive: 76
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2013, 05:18:22 pm »

Dealt with under 'aftermarket' wheels....but they didn't really care tbh. They told me they compare it to having different tyre makes so aren't fussed! Kinda strange but hey

Funny that, as mine classed going from an 88Y (which car came with from a VW dealer) to a 92Y (what the golf should be on) as a Mod...

Fit tyres that fit a wheel, I like to drive my cars...
Diesel Daily Hack.

Offline stu_no_1

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 8
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2013, 05:27:05 pm »
That must be mega stretch the 35 profile will make it more stretch than a 40 profile Aswell I'm guessing you done this to tuck wheels and u most likely wont be going very fast due to fear of rubbing lol just keep an eye on the tyre pressure as it may leak air with that much stretch, if you feel comfortable with that much stretch up to you I was personally worried about 215 40 18 on an 8.5j rim I wouldn't do track days or drive that hard on them incase it pops off the bead, I've driven fairly hard on mine and never had any bother so I've grown more comfortable with the idea of it but its not exactly mega stretch

Offline SLIVERFOX

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 18
  • -Receive: 1
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2013, 06:31:30 pm »
I'm running 225.40.18 9.5 on the rear on a mk5 golf not had any probs touch wood lol

Offline Tortaruga

• Thank You
  • -Given: 36
  • -Receive: 105
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2013, 07:26:50 pm »
Good luck and hopefully you won't kill some innocent person/people when your tyre delaminates/ruptures/explodes.
'07 Red manual

Offline jonnym

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2013, 10:43:49 pm »

I share the same size combination as this, you must be running odd offset wheels/very low to need the additional mm's provided by this.

I would not be stretching a tyre that far and i'd be wary of if the fitter could get it on the rim, that would be a total pain to mount.

Was this aimed at me? I can't tell! Haha. Offsets about 30, but ill find out. As said, the stretch doesn't look mad at all. It looks well fitted campared to other stretched tyres. My stretch was easy to put on.

Funny that, as mine classed going from an 88Y (which car came with from a VW dealer) to a 92Y (what the golf should be on) as a Mod...

Fit tyres that fit a wheel, I like to drive my cars...

Its funny really. I don't pay anymore for mine but seems you do? Wierd.
I like to drove my car to but not in the same way as I think you mean! I am careful even with my minor stretch. The jury is still out on whether stretch is safe or not. I've yet touch wood have had no problems. They are real low though! We'll see what happens.

Good luck and hopefully you won't kill some innocent person/people when your tyre delaminates/ruptures/explodes.

Don't wanna start an argument....but there is so ±ch out there about safe vs unsafe that I have no clue if they really ate unsafe or indeed they are safe. Yes if yiu have stupid stretch its potentially Sdangerous but so the research just isn't there!
« Last Edit: February 19, 2013, 10:49:49 pm by jonnym »