Make a donation

Author Topic: done the dumbest of all things today  (Read 1653 times)

Offline vaheedakhtar

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 1
done the dumbest of all things today
« on: February 17, 2013, 05:27:05 pm »

Well, today I somehow managed to crash my GTi in my own wall!

Yes - you read correct. Last night, I went over a b@stard pot hole and one of the rear brake disc backing plates had come loose. The noise it was making was horrendous - so decided to do something about it this morning.

I sat in the car, with the intention of manoeuvring the car to an angle which would be easy to work with. As I faced it towards our partitioning wall from the neighbours - my foot (stupidly) wedged between the  brake and accelerator (it's a DSG)  - before I could react... BANG!

passenger side of the bumper at the front has come away from the chassis. Most of the bits have clipped back in with no damage - but the headlight has come loose and it looks like there a few clips that have snapped. Also, the plastic which is screwed down under the hood to hold the honeycomb grille has snapped at the scew on both ends :( Other than that, there's a heavy scruff mark where the car has impacted agains the bricks!

One word...gutted!  It might be a blessing in disguise though, as I was wanting to get the front bumper resprayed badly anyways.

I've managed to pick a brand new and primed GTI front bumper up - along with the honeycomb grill - for £100 this evening. Will get a few quotes of a respray and hopefully get it fitted before the wife's back from her parents next week!

Offline scopes

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 131
  • -Receive: 115
  • Wolfsburg Edition
    • My GTI
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,49748.0.html
Re: done the dumbest of all things today
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2013, 11:30:55 pm »
Ah Man, so so unlucky, i hope you get it sorted soon  :happy2:
If it's not broke, Mod it.....

Silver is the way !

Offline swgti

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 28
  • -Receive: 6
  • GTI owners are born not manufactured!
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2013, 07:06:45 am »
I'd run out and buy a lottery ticket..........................................er hang on!!!!!!!
Laser Blue 3dr No 209683, Leather, Monza II's and a few other goodies...........GONE but not forgotten......now in an A4 S-Line Avant 170tdi......god I miss the Gti.

Offline andyR43

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 11
  • -Receive: 32
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2013, 07:48:55 am »
I'd run out and buy a lottery ticket..........................................er hang on!!!!!!!

Maybe a "Scratchcard" would be more appropriate?   :laugh:

Keeping it original..............or not!!

Saintsteve

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2013, 07:54:55 am »

Yes - you read correct. Last night, I went over a b@stard pot hole and one of the rear brake disc backing plates had come loose. The noise it was making was horrendous - so decided to do something about it this morning.

I sat in the car, with the intention of manoeuvring the car to an angle which would be easy to work with. As I faced it towards our partitioning wall from the neighbours - my foot (stupidly) wedged between the  brake and accelerator (it's a DSG)  - before I could react... BANG!

passenger side of the bumper at the front has come away from the chassis. Most of the bits have clipped back in with no damage - but the headlight has come loose and it looks like there a few clips that have snapped. Also, the plastic which is screwed down under the hood to hold the honeycomb grille has snapped at the scew on both ends :( Other than that, there's a heavy scruff mark where the car has impacted agains the bricks!

One word...gutted!  It might be a blessing in disguise though, as I was wanting to get the front bumper resprayed badly anyways.

I've managed to pick a brand new and primed GTI front bumper up - along with the honeycomb grill - for £100 this evening. Will get a few quotes of a respray and hopefully get it fitted before the wife's back from her parents next week!

Opps!!! Is it her car then?!

Best be getting it fixed before she finds out lol.. No marks on the wall?  :grin:

Offline swgti

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 28
  • GTI owners are born not manufactured!
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2013, 10:21:40 am »

Maybe a "Scratchcard" would be more appropriate?   :laugh:

GOAL!!!!
Laser Blue 3dr No 209683, Leather, Monza II's and a few other goodies...........GONE but not forgotten......now in an A4 S-Line Avant 170tdi......god I miss the Gti.

Offline Kalpsn2000

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 10
  • -Receive: 56
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2013, 10:37:36 am »
Damn! Unlucky mate.

:worthless:
Diamond Black 2007 (56) Golf GTI 3Dr DSG ¦ 18" Monza II's ¦ Cruise control ¦ MFSW ¦ Highline ¦ Rear parking sensors ¦ PDT Stage 1 ¦ Forge Twintake ¦ H&R Sport Springs ¦ NQSBBK ¦ R32 Rear bumper ¦ BCS Powervalve Sports R32 style TBE ¦ Valeo LED Rear Lights ¦ Xenon lights with HID kit ¦ DNX521DAB ¦ 12mm Spacers all round ¦

Offline MattR32T

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2013, 10:50:21 pm »

I sat in the car, with the intention of manoeuvring the car to an angle which would be easy to work with. As I faced it towards our partitioning wall from the neighbours - my foot (stupidly) wedged between the  brake and accelerator (it's a DSG)  - before I could react... BANG!

One word...gutted!  It might be a blessing in disguise though, as I was wanting to get the front bumper resprayed badly anyways.

Hi mate, sorry to hear this news, hope you sort it soon. I was wondering if you would be interested in selling me the old bumper as it the 2 side carriers I'm after if their undamaged. Needed urgently  :smiley: email is mattrogers2010@yahoo.co.uk

Offline andybon

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 11
  • -Receive: 8
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2013, 08:05:22 am »
Don't worry, someone out there has done something twice as dumb!

How hard can it be?