Make a donation

Author Topic: Current Mk5 Gti prices.  (Read 1075 times)

Offline swgti

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 28
  • -Receive: 6
  • GTI owners are born not manufactured!
Current Mk5 Gti prices.
« on: February 19, 2013, 07:26:58 am »
Anyone else noticing these seem to be all over the shop at the minute, especially dealer prices???? Just been hunting about as I might be looking for a 5dr later on in the year and have been quite surprised at the variance in pricing, 05/06 cars heading towards 80k plus seem to be about £6-7k but then regardless of age if you're looking at 40-50k or under on the mileage the price rockets regardless of age, 06 cars still making £10k and 07/08 cars up near £11k. I thought quite surprising as the early mk6 seems to be quietly dropping nicely towards mk5 prices.

Maybe it's just me but as with other cars there doesn't seem to be a steady curve in pricing, testiment to the car itself though that your as likely to see an 08 with a stack of miles on it as you are an 05 that's hardly dome anything.
Laser Blue 3dr No 209683, Leather, Monza II's and a few other goodies...........GONE but not forgotten......now in an A4 S-Line Avant 170tdi......god I miss the Gti.

Offline Moz

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 24
  • -Receive: 11
    • Email
Re: Current Mk5 Gti prices.
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2013, 08:49:21 am »
If anyone can explain to me the MK5 price trend, your a better man than I am.

When I bought mine in Feb 2012, for a 3 door Blue, it was worth around £7.5k it had 65k on it. I paid just under £8 with dealers costs etc.

Now, 12 months later, when I try to sell the car, I can't even get £6450 for it, that's with 12 months MOT and a few added extras fitted, and still only 71,000.

I'm beginning to give up hope with Auto Trader, and might stretch to Piston Heads and Ebay!

Offline swgti

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 28
  • -Receive: 6
  • GTI owners are born not manufactured!
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2013, 08:54:31 am »
Even private prices are totally mad too, £9250 can get you a 06 with 30+k on or for £9500 an 08 with 40+k it would seem that it's more the mileage that dictates price rather than age.
Laser Blue 3dr No 209683, Leather, Monza II's and a few other goodies...........GONE but not forgotten......now in an A4 S-Line Avant 170tdi......god I miss the Gti.

Offline Moz

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2013, 08:58:19 am »
Even private prices are totally mad too, £9250 can get you a 06 with 30+k on or for £9500 an 08 with 40+k it would seem that it's more the mileage that dictates price rather than age.

That's always been the case, but 07-08 prices seem fairly steady, it is anything older than that which has dropped right off.

I was due to trade mine with Arnold Clark, they originally gave me £6200 as a part Ex, but now they're backing out of it and it was only verbal. So still looking to sell mine, it's a real shame as the car is an absolute beauty, but even when I had the Xenons on it, no body wanted it at £6500!

Offline T6 SUR

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 1
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2013, 02:15:09 pm »
im on the look out for a top spec standard candy white gti.

seen 1 57 plate sell for 12k with 50k on the clock and 1 58 plate with 27k sell for £12900 both from dealers.

I am only interested in white, but have seen black ones for example from the same year and same spec  sell for 2.5k less.

I have resigned myself to knowing i need to increase my budget to get what i want.

Offline jedi-knight83

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 12
  • -Receive: 41
    • Cambridge Autogleam Detailing
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2013, 02:25:08 pm »

That's always been the case, but 07-08 prices seem fairly steady, it is anything older than that which has dropped right off.

I was due to trade mine with Arnold Clark, they originally gave me £6200 as a part Ex, but now they're backing out of it and it was only verbal. So still looking to sell mine, it's a real shame as the car is an absolute beauty, but even when I had the Xenons on it, no body wanted it at £6500!

thats the problem... people can advertise them for what they want and makes it look like mk5 prices are strong but as you found out it doesnt mean they are selling for anything like that money.

I think I'm going to sell mine very soon and although its got pretty much every option, its completely upgraded to look like an ED30, its beautiful in every way... its still a 55 plate with 70k on it now so I bet i'd struggle to sell it for what I think its worth.
Golf GTI DSG "ED30 Tribute" - RTech: 254bhp / 323lbft | MK6 GTI DSG S.Wheel | MK6 GTI speedo | MK6 climate | RCD510DAB | Bluetooth | Milltek Cat back | H&R Springs & Rear ARB | WALK | 19" BBS CH | MK7R 340mm brakes - INFO

Offline jbc

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 8
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2013, 03:28:50 pm »

When I bought mine in Feb 2012, for a 3 door Blue, it was worth around £7.5k it had 65k on it. I paid just under £8 with dealers costs etc.

Now, 12 months later, when I try to sell the car, I can't even get £6450 for it, that's with 12 months MOT and a few added extras fitted, and still only 71,000.

I'm beginning to give up hope with Auto Trader, and might stretch to Piston Heads and Ebay!

I recommend trying Pistonheads. When I sold mine last March I didn't get a single call in 2 weeks on Autotrader but it sold in less than a day as soon as it went to Pistonheads (at the same price).

Don't forget there's a big difference between dealer forecourt prices and private sale. When the dealer priced mine as a part-ex he said they would forecourt it at £7995 > expect to sell it with £500 discount > has to make a clear £1000 profit > allow £250 for expenses (new tyres or a service, MOT, etc.) > so his best offer was £6250. I sold it private for £6500.
2012 Mk6 GTD. Tornado Red. TPMS, RNS510 and reverse camera retrofit.

Offline Baz300

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 9
  • -Receive: 26
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2013, 04:34:59 pm »
I have seen a 55 plate with 105k miles for £4250 on Inverness gumtree.

And I bet he would take less than that if offerd cash.

At the end of the day the car is only worth what someone is willing to pay.

Offline Moz

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2013, 05:07:07 pm »

I recommend trying Pistonheads. When I sold mine last March I didn't get a single call in 2 weeks on Autotrader but it sold in less than a day as soon as it went to Pistonheads (at the same price).

Don't forget there's a big difference between dealer forecourt prices and private sale. When the dealer priced mine as a part-ex he said they would forecourt it at £7995 > expect to sell it with £500 discount > has to make a clear £1000 profit > allow £250 for expenses (new tyres or a service, MOT, etc.) > so his best offer was £6250. I sold it private for £6500.

Thanks buddy, I will have a go with Piston Heads tonight.