Make a donation

Author Topic: Body shop oddities  (Read 1090 times)

Offline alexmccabe

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 14
  • -Receive: 12
    • Alex McCabe
Body shop oddities
« on: February 20, 2013, 06:58:08 pm »
I've been shopping around to see the best deal on some body work painting. I went to one place, he said he was reluctant to paint the side skirts as "it's not his thing". He also didn't want to paint the lower valances two-tone.

To me this seems like an odd thing, for a body shop to not want work. I did some research, the skirts come off really easily so I don't know what his issue was with that. Just weird.

Anybody else had any body shop oddities?

MK5 Golf GTi 197BHP Tornado Red

Offline rf860

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 12
  • -Receive: 4
Re: Body shop oddities
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2013, 07:07:59 pm »
Body shops might not want little dribs and drabs of work so turn it away or give you ridiculous prices.

For example, i want my front splitter freshly painted and a black lip on it and also my wing mirror cover repainted. £190+vat was the quote i was given - crazy!

Offline craigy123

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 24
  • -Receive: 24
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2013, 07:08:04 pm »
Maybe due to them being textured plastic? The ones I've seen done all have leading edge failure on the paint as in chipping from stones and general road debris.

PM for details

Saintsteve

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2013, 07:18:01 pm »
Maybe due to them being textured plastic? The ones I've seen done all have leading edge failure on the paint as in chipping from stones and general road debris.

X2.

Your best getting the pre primer'd Ed30 versions skirts and rear Bumper.Can be very tricky and very time consuming prepping plastics for smooth finish

Offline alexmccabe

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 14
  • -Receive: 12
    • Alex McCabe
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2013, 07:26:01 pm »
Body shops might not want little dribs and drabs of work so turn it away or give you ridiculous prices.

For example, i want my front splitter freshly painted and a black lip on it and also my wing mirror cover repainted. £190+vat was the quote i was given - crazy!

It wasn't a small thing, it was both front and back valance and side skirt.

Any idea how much they are? I really want the ED30 front and rears, but they're just too much money...

X2.

Your best getting the pre primer'd Ed30 versions skirts and rear Bumper.Can be very tricky and very time consuming prepping plastics for smooth finish

MK5 Golf GTi 197BHP Tornado Red

Offline rf860

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 12
  • -Receive: 4
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2013, 08:14:14 pm »

It wasn't a small thing, it was both front and back valance and side skirt.

Any idea how much they are? I really want the ED30 front and rears, but they're just too much money...

X2.

yeah and thats a tiny job for most bodyshops.....

Offline Stanipkiss

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 15
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2013, 08:18:21 pm »
Alex I am sure there is a red splitter for sale in the for sale section, If you buy that one will you sell me your black one?

Mk5 Jetta 2.0l Tdi 140 se Apex RDX coilovers, BBS VZ003, Skyline tails, Genuine Xenons more to come