Make a donation

Author Topic: Chris Harris - new Cayman S  (Read 7216 times)

Offline camfollower

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 10
  • -Receive: 31
  • Cam follower awareness.
Re: Chris Harris - new Cayman S
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2013, 02:29:41 pm »
Front end of a later Toyota MR2 and rear of of a  Panamera  :jumping:

I thought exactly the same thing about the MR2 bug like look at certain angles.

Lovely motor, but PH response or not, I couldn't have "just" a Cayman on the drive and 70k less in the bank! (Assuming there was 70k in the bank that is) :grin:

Offline tony_danza

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 112
  • The voice of objective reason, but mine's best.
« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2013, 02:39:38 pm »
What on earth are you lot speccing??

I got to 52,748k, the buckets a sheer indulgance and could probably shave more off if I could de-select PASM from the PTV.

The beauty of these cars is how they drive, you don't need loads of added tat.
Sideways yo!

Offline Poverty

• Thank You
  • -Given: 36
  • -Receive: 21
« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2013, 02:41:16 pm »
It looks like a mini carrera GT.

Word is there will be a turbo version but a crappy 4 cylinder. Imagine a cayman turbo with a 6 cylinder 450hp boxer engine

As for depreciation comments, if that's your concern just wait for the cayman (well specced ones at that too) to depreciate down to 40k won't take long brand new boxters have depreciates alot already. Name of the game all new cars take massive hits these days.

I'm keen to drive one of these, waiting to see how the 991 turbo turns out though and the 991 GT3.

Offline Deako

• Thank You
  • -Given: 38
  • -Receive: 44
  • Eat, Sleep....VAG
« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2013, 03:02:07 pm »
What on earth are you lot speccing??

I got to 52,748k, the buckets a sheer indulgance and could probably shave more off if I could de-select PASM from the PTV.

The beauty of these cars is how they drive, you don't need loads of added tat.

The wheels are expensive.

Even if im being a tightarse, its still £59k!!!  :sad1:

Offline tony_danza

• Thank You
« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2013, 03:17:11 pm »
Sod that, the smallest (19s!!!!) that are free are fine by me.

This is the Boxster I borrowed, had absolutely nothing on it, but I didn't miss anything - it was just a joy to drive. Convinced me you don't need all the bells and whistles.

Only an idiot would buy one with their own money, Porsche offer a very good deal if you enter into a 2 year PCP cycle. By the time you're ordering your 3rd car, the loyalty discounts are quite substantial. They want you in for life, and make it very easy. Wilko's 997 costs less in relative terms than his MK6 GTI. Crazy eh??

« Last Edit: February 21, 2013, 03:19:08 pm by tony_danza »
Sideways yo!

Offline Deako

• Thank You
  • -Given: 38
  • -Receive: 44
  • Eat, Sleep....VAG
« Reply #20 on: February 21, 2013, 03:42:19 pm »
Sod that, the smallest (19s!!!!) that are free are fine by me.

This is the Boxster I borrowed, had absolutely nothing on it, but I didn't miss anything - it was just a joy to drive. Convinced me you don't need all the bells and whistles.

Only an idiot would buy one with their own money, Porsche offer a very good deal if you enter into a 2 year PCP cycle. By the time you're ordering your 3rd car, the loyalty discounts are quite substantial. They want you in for life, and make it very easy. Wilko's 997 costs less in relative terms than his MK6 GTI. Crazy eh??

Absolutely, buying cars outright for cash is a mugs game. If you have a monthly budget and accept that you will be prepared to pay it and stick with the car over the term, PCP is just the best possible way of enjoying a much better car, and upgrading substantially each time renewal comes.

Offline tony_danza

• Thank You
« Reply #21 on: February 21, 2013, 04:07:56 pm »
If you've got 50-60k in folding, then you've hopefully got enough sense to have that invested in something that's giving a much higher return that the measly APR you pay on new cars.

Still, I bet there's one out there who'd do it  :grin:
Sideways yo!

Offline andrewparker

• Thank You
  • -Given: 32
  • -Receive: 78
« Reply #22 on: February 21, 2013, 04:09:46 pm »
Is that just the 2.7 Tony?

Offline rich83

• Thank You
  • -Given: 165
  • -Receive: 802
    • MK5 Golf GTI
  • My Ride: https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=srbpfrfglva1kok3sbqd5k6n22&/topic,19740.0.html
« Reply #23 on: February 21, 2013, 04:12:35 pm »
Well... id have one given half a chance. Like mike says... on a car like this you dont need to spec the sh*t out of it, the basic car is more than enough entertainment.

Saintsteve

« Reply #24 on: February 21, 2013, 05:12:06 pm »
Nice Beatle  :chicken:

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 380
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #25 on: February 21, 2013, 05:57:44 pm »

Much rather spend £70k on a used Porsche (2012 991 Carrera S circa £70k) and not be subject to depreciation.

even get a GT3RS for similar £'s

997 GT3RS

....When ANY new car costs £30k, £40k, £50k, £60k, etc etc, people can always drag out this old chestnut which says 'look-what-you-can-get-for-the-same-money'.

Well, so what! Perhaps some enthusiasts like to buy a car because they love that car and not reject it because of depreciation reasons or because they can get better value-for-money in their eyes.

Chase the vision and the dream for once, and not the dollar!

Okay, I know you've had a Cayman and you found it uncomfortable because of your back, QD, but the point of such a thread as this is to share the enthusiasm for such a new car. It may cost £70k and IMO if you have the money it's worth it because of the joy it can give you and that's worth something beyond money!

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 380
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #26 on: February 21, 2013, 06:05:45 pm »

Absolutely, buying cars outright for cash is a mugs game. If you have a monthly budget and accept that you will be prepared to pay it and stick with the car over the term, PCP is just the best possible way of enjoying a much better car, and upgrading substantially each time renewal comes.

If you've got 50-60k in folding, then you've hopefully got enough sense to have that invested in something that's giving a much higher return that the measly APR you pay on new cars.

Still, I bet there's one out there who'd do it  :grin:

....You guys are only thinking within YOUR own financial limitations and therefore whether YOU would spend such a sum on a new car.

You need to realise that there are plenty of folks out there who are wealthy enough not to be bothered by such mundane (to them) things as value-for-money or residuals etc and who consequently will buy such a car because they love it and for no other reason and they can simply afford to because it's not a lot of money RELATIVE to the money they have.

They're not stupid, they just have much more money than you do. (And much more money than I do!)

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline cmdrfire

• Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 14
    • Commander Fire - my blog
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: February 21, 2013, 06:27:21 pm »
Depends if the 991 is a better car or not too :popcornsoda:

It is.

Offline tony_danza

• Thank You
« Reply #28 on: February 21, 2013, 06:38:48 pm »
Is that just the 2.7 Tony?

Boxster? No, it was an S.
Sideways yo!

Offline tony_danza

• Thank You
« Reply #29 on: February 21, 2013, 06:56:35 pm »

Still, I bet there's one out there who'd do it  :grin:

....You guys are only thinking within YOUR own financial limitations and therefore whether YOU would spend such a sum on a new car.

You need to realise that there are plenty of folks out there who are wealthy enough not to be bothered by such mundane (to them) things as value-for-money or residuals etc and who consequently will buy such a car because they love it and for no other reason and they can simply afford to because it's not a lot of money RELATIVE to the money they have.

They're not stupid, they just have much more money than you do. (And much more money than I do!)

I think you're misunderstanding?

Ask a high end car dealer how many people pay for their cars outright, they'll tell you only the mad and lottery winners.

If someone has accumulated £50k in savings, and want to blow that on a Porsche, then they're probably fairly savvy with money.

So, do you:

(i) Buy the car outright and blow £50k.
(ii) Invest the £50k at 10%, and finance the car at 5%

Most people do the latter, as that spare 5% is a big chunk of money to just throw away.

Both give you equal enjoyment of the car. I know people will rant and rave about "I own my car outright".... fair enough, that's absolutely fine.
Sideways yo!