Make a donation

Author Topic: Recent starting issue with my 2005 gti  (Read 728 times)

Offline Spydamanz

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 0
Recent starting issue with my 2005 gti
« on: February 24, 2013, 12:19:00 pm »
Recently i bought my gti and the seller had it for sale for over a month. The car was mint but due to the fact he would not budge one bit on the price i can see why he didnt sell it straight away.
Anyway after owning the car for a week or so i went out in a cold morning to start it and it would not start. Not evan tick over but the radio and windows worked fine. Later that evening i jump started it with another car, run it for 15 mins and went straight to hallfords which was a 5minute drive. I switched the engine off and turned the ignition and the car started fine.
Ater  buying a batery charger and tester i went home and tested the batrey and it was fine. I decided not to charge the batery over night and see if the same issue would accur the next morning. Next morning it started fine so i took it to a garage to get the batery tested on a more expensive batery tester. It past
2 days later i went to start it and again it would not start same issue. I turned on the stereo and it displayed "batery low"
Once again i jump started it with another car and went straight to euro carparts and bought and replaced the batery. The car is fine now but im confused to why the old batery was playing up. Does this mean the seller may have left the car standing too long without ticking over the car now and again and this damaged the batery

Offline camfollower

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 10
  • -Receive: 31
  • Cam follower awareness.
Re: Recent starting issue with my 2005 gti
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2013, 12:27:19 pm »
Which head unit do you have mate?
Could be the rcd510/rns battery drain issue solved by changing the gateway to a newer one...

Offline Spydamanz

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2013, 12:45:57 pm »
Rcd310 mate my previous gti had the rcd 300 which turned off automaticly when you turn off the ignition. This one does not

Offline camfollower

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2013, 12:49:11 pm »

Offline Spydamanz

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2013, 01:21:54 pm »
Im worried to turn it on now as it looks like it could kill my new batery by the looks of it now :confused: i may just buy a new dvd head unit

Offline camfollower

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2013, 01:25:50 pm »
I'm not 100% sure but I think there is some parasitic drain from these models without the right gateway... So might be worth pulling the fuse until you get a new head unit / gateway.

Offline Spydamanz

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2013, 01:47:09 pm »
Ok i will do that then and start looking for a new head unit on ebay